Why does 1P for OS X not save the email address when I sign into Agilebits?

Options

I looked in the 1P saved login for Agilbits and there is no email address I use to sign into Agilbits. 1P keeps the password correctly, but there is no email address in the login 1P saved. Must I depend upon Safari and iCloud to keep this sign-in email address?

Why didn't 1P save the email address for signing into Agilebits when I generated the password from 1P and saved in safari and iCloud?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Why does 1P for OS X not save the email address when I sign into Agilebits?

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi, @blackxacto. Could you let us know what page you were signing into when this happened? It's hard to say what might be the issue without the URL.

Thanks!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83082658@N00/25789719373/in/dateposted-public/

I am totally confused as to why 1P remembers sometimes and using iOS9 iPad Air, 1P seems to ignore any info I have stored in 1P. I thought iCloud syncing shares sign-in info across iOS9 and OS X. It doesn't seem to. I have iCloud syncing turned on on both iOS9 and OS X.

The one thing that seems certain is that 1P may save my sign in data, or it may not. On a login item I want both the username and password saved in 1P, but 1P seems to ignore the username, so I to look that up. If I have to look that up, why the hell buy 1P?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Please forgive the anger above. I just get confused when I try to use 1P to create a login item for 1P, and I don't see the username data saved w the password. Am I asking too much of 1P, maybe it only saves passwords, which is ok, but I really need 1P to fill in the TOTAL login data, or maybe that is not what 1P is for? Sorry I get confused here.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

A second confusion about 1p: Having purchased 1P for OS X and 1P Pro for iOS9, aren't they suppose to sync in the iCloud as I have set? Working on my iPad, calling up 1P sometimes doesn't seem to recall login data I made 1P OS X? Or have any idea what I am doing wrong?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @blackxacto. In the screenshot, it appears you have Safari's username and password filling enabled. This is indicated by the yellow background for the fields. We recommend you disable your browser's password filling capability. You can do this in Safari at Safari > Preferences > Passwords

I'm not sure why the 1Password item only has a password. Could you try creating a new login manually to see if it behaves better? Is it possible you generated a password and then used the Convert to Login feature? This would explain why it only has a password, but is a bit of an obscure feature, so I'm not so sure you would have stumbled on it.

As for syncing, iCloud sync is definitely an option, but it's not enabled by default. Please review your sync settings in 1Password > Preferences > Sync and make sure your Primary vault is set to use iCloud.

Beyond this, you're not expecting too much of 1Password to keep an eye on things and save your information. That's it's raison d'être. Generally, if you have autosave enabled, 1Password should notice when you sign in to sites and prompt you to save them as appropriate. If that's not happening for you, please let us know the URLs of some sites where it fails and we'll investigate.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

--
    Jamie Phelps

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83082658@N00/26348712661/in/dateposted-public/

I turned off ALL Safari fill in capability.
    I rebooted my iMac.
    I opened 1P and deleted AgilBits login item.

Opened Safari and tried to sign into Agilbits Forum.
    I said I had forgotten my password.
    Agilbits sent me a url for the account "blackxacto" at [email redacted by admin]

I used 1P to generate a new password for AgilBits.
    AgilBits asks me do I want to save the new password as a new item.

But in the AgilBit login, there is no email address or username ONLY A PASSWORD. Why? 1P will not fill in the username or the email address in the login data info?

I have never used the CONVERT to Login feature. I don't know where it is in the app.

Again, if 1P will not store the data for username and email address, so I can sign in freely, WITHOUT Safari auto fill in I must turn the Safari auto fill feature back on and forget depending upon 1P for everything as you indicate in previous note.

This isn't for some foreign web site, IT IS YOUR WEBSITE that I cannot get 1P to save the username and email data.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @blackxacto. When you visit the change password page, there is only the password fields. 1Password is only able to save the values that are present on the page when you're prompted to save. If you visit the login page and then enter your username and password, 1Password should properly capture your username and password. Since you already have a Login saved without the username, you can either edit that item to set your username or manually save a new Login from the log in screen and then delete the incorrect one.

I hope that helps.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

You are wrong. 1P WILL NOT save the email or username.
    I turned off all Safari fill ins.
    I trashed all Agilbits 1P items.
    I went to https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target=
    I entered my username which 1P continues to refuse to remember.
    I asked for a new password.
    I am sent a link from the email. I go there. 1P auto signs the email username.
    Then I generate a password. 1P asks me do I want to save the password, Yes.

But there is no username or email address data saved.
    Wha is going on? I paid good money for this crap that is incapable of

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Jeeeesus, I reread your reply. I will go edit the username. Good God I had no idea this crap was a complex to use.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I can't edit the stupid username it's greyed out. How am I to change the username?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @blackxacto,

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been feeling frustrated by this. I know I rely on 1Password a lot to know and fill my information, and it sucks when the app doesn’t do what I expect it to do. Don’t worry, we’ll work with you here until we get to the bottom of this.

I also want to thank you for including such detailed replies about all the steps that you are taking to troubleshoot this. It gives us a much better place to start.

Here’s where I think we’re getting tangled up. You mention that you’re requesting a new password for the forums, which means that you end up asking 1Password to save your details on the ‘change password’ page instead of the ‘sign in’ page. I’m guessing 1Password is creating a ‘Password’ entry for you instead of a Login entry.

This will work much better if we save your sign in details directly from the sign in page. Let’s try this:

1. Open a new tab in Safari and go to http://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin.
    2. Type in your username.
    3. Open 1Password and find your current entry for the AgileBits forums.
    4. Click to copy the password.
    5. In Safari, paste the password in the appropriate field, but do not use the sign in button just yet.
    6. Use ⌘⌥\ ( Command-Option- \ ) to open 1Password mini.
    7. Click on the gear icon in the top corner.
    8. Select the ‘Save new Login’ item in the menu.
    9. A pop-up will appear to allow you to give the item a proper title like “AgileBits forums”.
    10. Save then entry.

We can test this item immediately by clearing out the username and password fields on the sign-in page and using ⌘\ ( Command- \ ) to ask 1Password to fill.

Does this work?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

9 did not happen. It never happens. The mini window just goes away after selecting "Save new Login"

Consequently there is only a password saved in there AgileBits data. Which bugs the crap out of me.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Pl,ease forgive me of the cursing. I am so sorry. It's just I have experienced this inability to trust 1P to remember three things at logins: Username, email address , and password. And getting it to remember the three is a complete struggle that I don't totally understand, if it works for everyone else. The thing is I can;t trust 1P. So I have to turn Safari fill in back on which isn't what I want.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @blackxacto. We definitely understand the frustration. Step 9 that @Megan gave is the expected behavior. If you followed her steps and the save window didn't appear, then that's something we need to investigate further as it means 1Password is not functioning as it should. I think we will need a little information and to take this conversation to email in order to solve things as quickly as possible.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

--
    Jamie Phelps

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, when signing into AgilBits Support forum, I am asked for either an email address or a username. I have been using my email address, of which 1P refuses to remember when I create a login item. I switched to using my user name, of which 1P recalled once I searched 1P for the AgilBits login item. I earlier converted the AgilBits password into a login item. But I was confused because it never recalled the email address your sign in requested. Maybe there is no deep issue except that 1P will not automatically fill in email addresses at login. That's all. Sorry I took up your time this week.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Look, people keep telling me that if I go to the AgilBits Support site and sign in MANUALLY that there will be a SAVE dialogue to update the AgilBits login item. WRONG. I manually enter my email address, then MANUALLY enter my password, and the site just allows me in. There is no 1P dialogue asking me to update my AgilBits Login item. I have the Safari Extension installed. What the hell is keeping me from updating my 1P login item for AgilBits w the entered email address???????

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @blackxacto,

I'd like to start with a couple of behaviours that you should see in 1Password.

• When 1Password pops up the 1Password - Save Login window it will only be able to record information that has been entered into a field on the page. It can't infer anything, nor can it scour a page for potential information. By that last comment I mean if a page has something like username: LittleBobyTables as a link at the top of the page to take my to profile we don't capture this. We only record the contents of editable fields present on the current page.
    • When you log into a site that 1Password hasn't filled it performs a simple check before offering the 1Password - Save Login window. The check is, does a Login item already exist with this password? if it does 1Password won't interrupt you because rightly or wrongly it believes you have a Login item already and nobody wants to have to tell 1Password not to save a Login item every time.

So what do we know about your situation? You've reset your password and you've saved a new Login on that page. Following in your footsteps what I end up with in my vault is a Login item for this site with no username, just a password field. So far what happens for me seems to be following what happens for you. This Login item will not allow you to sign into the forums as it stands. For this purpose this Login item will currently fail you.

The option we discussed above where you manually save a Login item uses these steps.

1. Visit the sign-in page for the website that is causing trouble.
    2. Enter your username and password. Do not press Enter or click Sign In.
    3. Click the 1Password button in your browser. Enter your Master Password if prompted.
    4. Click the gear icon (or choose “Settings” on Windows) and select Save new Login from the menu.
    5. Give your Login item a unique name. When you’re finished, click Save Login.

What these steps do are to bypass the check I mentioned above and to show the 1Password - Save Login window, assuming 1Password can see something to save.

So I have a Login item in my vault with the new password. If a manually log in and simply sign in 1Password doesn't react because there is a Login item with this password and it sees asking again as a redundancy. If I follow the steps above I can get to the point where the page looks like this as I'm in step 4.

Can you confirm please that this is what it also looks like for you.

When I choose that option, Save new Login, the familiar window 1Password - Save Login pops up, like the screenshot below

and it does this regardless of the Login item I created from the forgot password page. If I save this item it correctly stores both fields. Now I use my username to log in but it would work equally well if you use your email address, all that matters is the field contains the value you want it to record. What 1Password cannot do on this page is record both the username and email address as the page doesn't contain both. If you want the item to record all three pieces of data you would want to add the last bit as a custom field (see Add custom fields for a bit more detail on this subject).

I too am running 1Password 6.2.1 on 10.11.4 with version 4.5.5 of the extension in Safari so we should see identical behaviour. If we don't there is an unexplained issue which is where Jamie's request for a diagnostic report might help.

The other option that should also work though is in the main 1Password window to edit the Login item created from the forgotten password page. When you edit it you should see a blank username field appear. The field always exists, we merely hide it if the field is empty. If I edit the Login item created when I reset the password the item looks likes this and I can alter the now visible username field as shown below.

The box to the right of the test username is where the username will go, that's the standard visible edit box and wasn't highlighting that I added. Now there is a disadvantage to editing the Login item like this. If you look at the URL stored in the website field it clearly has as part of the URL the text passwordreset. The reason is it was saved on the password reset page. It can't infer what the real login page is, all 1Password can do is record what we know at the time. If you create a new Login item on the actual login page it will contain the correct URL and so you can use open and fill

Does any of this help explain the behaviour you're seeing? If you see different behaviour i.e. the 1Password - Save Login window doesn't appear for you like it does for me when you instruct 1Password to show it then that's where the diagnostic report may help.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

The blank user name login item DOES NOT appear until I click EDIT. That is throwing me off. Now I know.

I do not like the COMPLEXITY of creating a workable Login item. I do not feel secure, because I DO NOT TRUST 1P to store data complete without me examining carefully all data. Hard to rely on an app that I don't trust.

I don't understand why your forum sign-in requests an email address (or username), and yet, 1P will NOT save the email address, ONLY the username? I cannot get the email address to save to the Login item other than manually typing it in NOTES. Why will 1P not AUTOMATICALLY save the email address the AgilBits sign-in page requests.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

iOS Issue: Why do I get a blank white screen when trying to read replies to my support questions on my iOS9.2 iPad Air? I click the link from the iOS9.2 Mail app email post you send, but the link leads me to a blank white screen on the iPad Air.

I have to go to my OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 iMac to read your responses to my support questions.

I tried to save this web page of question and answers in Safari Version 9.1 (11601.5.17.1) as a pdf, but none of the text made the pdf? I was trying to learn from the questions and send it to my iPad Air for reading later. I guess the only way is sitting infront of my iMac? Your website is NOT user friendly.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @blackxacto,

We do hide all empty fields when you view a Login item, it's probably nothing more than trying to make things look neat as it isn't a security thing. It reminds me of how the Contacts application works, only fields with values are visible when viewing rather than showing a list of empty ones.

So, back to our login page for these forums. You can log in using either your username and password or you can log in using your email address and password. As the login page though only allows you to enter one combination when the extension works with 1Password to save a Login item it can only save whatever has been entered.

I use unique email addresses with each site that I register with. If a site uses my email address as a username to identify who I am I'm fine, 1Password will save this information in the Login item and I don't have to do anything else. If a site requires me to create a username as well then what I do is I save the Login item as normal which will hold all the details on how to use my username and password to log me in. I will then edit the item and add a custom field for the email address I'm using there. Not only does it help me keep a good record inside of 1Password I also use it to ensure I'm not reusing email addresses by searching my vault prior to creating a new one. If a site has a second level of security e.g. security questions, I will edit the Login item and add a new custom section just for the questions. I will use the label for the question and store the answer as the fields contents. I then also change the type to that of password so that the answer is obscured by default.

That's just my workflow and it's up to each person to find what works for them. If the idea of custom fields sounds appealing there was a link in my previous email to our page on it.

We try to make 1Password smart but it can only use the information it has at hand. If page requires three fields to be filled then, excluding any weird edge cases, saving a Login item from inside the browser will capture all three fields and should fill all three when you return. 1Password does need the information used for filling to be static though, it can't handle bank login pages where they ask for the _n_th character from a password or if you get asked different security questions each time you visit. Pages like this you can copy and paste with meaning 1Password can still prove useful as a way of securely storing the secrets you need to keep but it doesn't have quite the automated flow. The fact is 1Password isn't a standalone application that can exist within its own bubble, we need to constantly work on making 1Password stay compatible with the main browsers and we also need to constantly work on ensuring 1Password is compatible with the various web designs that we see. Web pages though don't have to follow any guidelines meaning a lot of what we do is about spotting patterns, accounting for exceptions and trying to stay ahead of the cat and mouse game that is websites in general. 1Password also does have a learning curve. There's no point denying it, it can take a period adjustment to get the best out of 1Password much like any piece of software. I believe it's worth it though and I don't just say that as somebody who is part of the team. I was a customer and user of 1Password long before I joined AgileBits and I trust it to store everything. I hope you too one day feel the same way and if you have questions on how it works we'll be happy to help.

This discussion has been closed.