I can't seem to sync 1Password for teams with a PC, how can I do this?

I've been able to sync all of my Mac users to our Team account easily using a QR code. However when I go to the one PC user that we have, download the windows app version, there is only an option to create an account, reopen a previous vault or retrieve a recovery file.

How can I get him on board with the rest of the team?

1Password Version: 4.6.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: PC Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:teams, kb-search:teams pc, kb:sync-options, kb-search:teams pc, kb:sync-options

Comments

• Hi @amandaclaassen

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

For now, if you'd like to use 1Password for Teams on Windows, you can either use the web interface or our 1Password for Windows 10 beta app.

We are working hard on improving the ability to access Teams data from Windows. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• amandaclaassen
    amandaclaassen
    Community Member

Thank you - I'll give it a try.

• Please let us know how it turns out. If you have any feedback for the Windows team I'm sure they'd love to hear it. Their forum can be found here:

Windows 10 Beta - AgileBits Support Forum

Ben

• cnp
    cnp
    Community Member

Hi Ben - I am pretty confused right now. I bought a 1Password Team account. For my work computer, they only allow Windows 7 right now. You said above I can use the web interface, but I have the chrome plugin installed and when I click it, it opens the Windows 7 1Password program, which then gives me "I am new to 1Password", "I have used 1Password before", and "Restore 1Password Vault from Backup". The first one tries to make me create a new password/account (I think? it's not really clear what's going on), the second one tries to find an existing vault, which I don't have since I've only used the web interface so far, and obviously the third one is also not an option.
    I have read all of the help docs I could find and nothing really clarified what I'm supposed to do to use the Chrome plugin without using the Windows 7 app. If I can't use 1Password for my browser at work then that kind of defeats the reason I bought it :\

• Hi @cnp! Sorry for the confusion. Windows 7 isn't currently supported for Teams, actually. We're working on support for it. That's why you're not seeing an option for it in the standard Windows app. The good news is you couldn't have bought a Teams account because they're free right now. :) I'd recommend just using the standard Windows app and extension for now. To do that, click "I am new to 1Password" and set things up. If you need to use it with your coworkers, you can share things via Dropbox for now.

We'll have more updates on Teams support for Windows 7 and 8 in the future. Keep an eye on our blog and newsletter for updates. I hope you enjoy 1Password in the meantime!

• cnp
    cnp
    Community Member

Ok thank you! My main concern is I did already sign up for Team and start adding account info/passwords/etc. into that account, and when I look in the web site about "Billing" it says Families. If I use the Windows 7 app and do the "new to 1Password," will that be an entirely separate account? Or will there be a way for me to sync between the two?

I did find that in the meantime I can just copy and paste from the web app into my browser login pages.

Thanks!

• @cnp Hmm, I tried to look up your account using the email address you signed up on this forum with but I couldn't find one so I'm not sure whether you're using Families or Teams. Billing is only available to Families since Teams is in beta, and free during that period. Again, I'm so sorry for the confusion!

If I use the Windows 7 app and do the "new to 1Password," will that be an entirely separate account? Or will there be a way for me to sync between the two?

It will indeed. If you have an iOS device or a Mac, you can move things to a format that will let you sync things with Windows so you don't have to input the same information again. Otherwise, you can copy and paste things into the Windows app. You can then sync things to your other devices using Dropbox as I mentioned before, if you'd like. Otherwise your data will just be on that device.

I did find that in the meantime I can just copy and paste from the web app into my browser login pages.

Yup! The great thing about Teams is you can access it in any browser. There's not an extension for filling directly from the browser though, so most people prefer the native apps for that.

• cnp
    cnp
    Community Member

Thank you again! Yeah I logged into the forums using a different email address, probably not the best approach sorry about that :) I have a Families account, for what it's worth. I think I have enough info to go forward from here, thank you for your help!

• @cnp No problem at all. Happy to help. :) If you have any other questions, feel free to let us know!

• amandaclaassen
    amandaclaassen
    Community Member

Hello Ben,

I've finally gotten around to getting the laptop upgraded to Windows 10 and get the app installed. I've tried multiple times and I keep getting this error - https://www.evernote.com/l/AOZ5P4AKZW1FQLLge-4qHX3q0AV42kSUQ0w

Is there a web-based version that I could use or do you have the file download that you can share with me? I can't tell if the error is with the Windows store or the app at this point.

Thanks, Amanda

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@amandaclaassen: Aha, thank you! Indeed, the download is hosted by Microsoft, so it will either be the Windows Store, your computer, or something in between. I'm afraid there won't be anything we can do to help directly, but I have a few ideas that might help.

First, click the little "person" icon to the left of the search box. From there go to Downloads & Updates, Check for Updates, and see if there's an update for the Windows Store app itself. If there is, do that first, as an out of date Windows Store can cause all sorts of problems when it comes to downloading apps. After that's done, you should be able to download all other apps normally.

Also, make sure that Windows 10 is fully updated as well. You can do this under Settings > Updates & Security > Windows Update. You may need to restart your PC, but certainly either being behind in updates can cause problems for installing Windows Store apps.

Finally, if you're still having trouble, do you perhaps have "security" software running that may be interfering with the connection to the Windows Store? I know this can cause problems for people trying to connect to the AgileBits site (and others) as well if a secure connection cannot be established. But that's just a guess based on experience, since the error message you're receiving isn't particularly helpful ("something happened"), so you may need to reach out to Microsoft for more information on that. Please let me know what you find!

• amandaclaassen
    amandaclaassen
    Community Member

Thank you - it all seems to be working now, which is great!

• @amandaclaassen I'm very glad to hear that! :) I just started using 1Password on Windows 10 the other day and had the same issue. Gotta keep things updated. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.