1Password Chrome Extension looking for 1Password Helper

Options
TimTDP
TimTDP
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have installed the 1Password extension in the Chrome browser
When I try and use the extension, I keep getting a message that 1Password helper must be running.
Where do I find this?

Thanks ins advance

1Password Version: 1Password beta 2016.4.300
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:1password helper, kb-search:helper

Comments

• GoRiceGirl
    GoRiceGirl
    Community Member
    Options

I get the same error. Would be great to get some assistance with this. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TimTDP: Since your post seems to be about the 1Password for Windows 10 beta app, I've moved it out of the Android category of the forums.

I'm sorry for the confusion! The "Helper" being referred to is part of the 1Password for Windows desktop app, which can integrate with web browser using the extensions.

It isn't currently possible for 1Password for Windows 10 to communicate with the browser extensions, though it's something we hope to be able to do in the future. You can, however, use the built-in browser by clicking the 'globe' icon in the item details.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@GoRiceGirl: Are you also using the 1Password for Windows 10 beta app? If so, please see my previous reply above.

Otherwise, be sure to tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• TimTDP
    TimTDP
    Community Member
    Options

I want to use the 1Password extension with the Chrome browser.
    I just happen to be using the Chrome browser on a Windows 10 computer

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TimTDP: It doesn't have anything to do with the OS you're using, but the app you're using:

If you use the 1Password for Windows 10 beta app (from the Windows Store), you'll need to use the built-in browser.

If you use the 1Password for Windows desktop app, you can use the browser extensions in Chrome, Firefox, and Opera (the Internet Explorer add-on is installed with the app). Check out this guide if you're not familiar with how it works:

Using the 1Password browser extension

I hope that helps clarify things. Cheers! :)

• dmgood
    dmgood
    Community Member
    Options

Soooo as very long time 1Password user on Macs - I just moved to a PC and Windows 10 (for work) to discover that 1Password doesn't work on Windows 10! How can that be!?!?!?!? Yes I have the beta - but one of my logins show up with garbled test descriptions in the app so how can I trust it? And the Chrome extension which I use ALL the time does not work at all - it keeps reporting that it is looking for the helper as described above.

Is there any solutions close at hand??? I love your product, and have it on my Macs, iPad, Edge 7, and iPhone BUT it doesn't work with WIN 10 - really!?!?!

• MikeT
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi @dmgood,

There are two separate programs, one is the regular stable 1Password 4.6 for Windows that does work on Windows and support browser extensions like Chrome. You can find it here: http://agilebits.com/downloads

The other one that you've just tried is an early beta of a new UWP version of 1Password that runs on Windows 10 devices, it's not fully completed yet. The issue you're seeing is something we've fixed but we're not able to release the update due to a problem at the Windows Store. We've been waiting for a week for the issue to be resolved by Microsoft, hopefully, there'll be progress very soon.

For now, you should use 1Password 4.6 for Windows, not the beta app with your local vaults.

• dmgood
    dmgood
    Community Member
    Options

Wow - thanks for the quick response - that is exactly what I did after I wrote the last post. It does in fact work. Can you confirm that it is OK to use the 4.6 version and it is compatible with later version of 1Password on my Apple devices? The all share a database in Dropbox.

• MikeT
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi @dmgood,

Yes, 1Password 4.6 for Windows is compatible with 1Password 5/6 for Macs and iOS versions when it comes to the data format, we use the same format between various 1Password versions.

A new version of 1Password for Windows is in active development right now and we hope to share more information very soon.

• dmgood
    dmgood
    Community Member
    Options

Great ! You saved me :)

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.