Secure Notes List Display

iamecho
iamecho
Community Member

I'm scratching my head on this one because I feel it's obvious but I can't see the pattern. In addition to other things I use Secure Notes as a make-shift "Hardware" category to document serial numbers, purchase info etc. I use custom fields instead of dumping all the info in the notes section, so typically each item just has a simple one-line header. If you look at my screenshot the item "Beats Earphones" is centered, as is "Beats Pill" below that. But then you see "Beta Test" is adjusted up as if leaving room for something to be written in the notes section, such as the one below "Beta Test II". After that is "Bose QC20" which is back to being centered. And on it goes.

I can't tell why some entries are centered and others aren't. I have created these notes from scratch, so not duplicated or migrated from the standalone app. I understand why my example "Beta Test II" is shifted up to allow for the text underneath, but I don't know why all other entries aren't centered. I have tested adding tags to see if that would make a difference and have tested adding a ton of custom fields vs not so many. I can't find what makes the title line centered, or not, as the case may be. Some entries have attachments and some don't, but there isn't a common denominator that I can find for this to make sense. Any idea how to make all of these entries centered?

This is displayed the same on my iPhone 6S and iPad mini 4.

1Password Version: 6.4 (640013)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@iamecho: Wow! That is strange, and I'm not sure I ever would have noticed it myself if you'd just posted the screenshot...but now I cannot unseen it!

Weirdly, the situation on my iPhone is just the opposite: the vertically centered names are few and far between. Even items with only a title and no other content are displayed aligned with the top of their icon. Newly created items, without exception, from both iOS and my Mac seem to be this way.

And then I figured it out. Since my notes with a non-blank first line show this in the item list under the title...so it turns out that if you simply press Return and leave the first line of the Notes section blank, it will result in the title being centered vertically in the list. Does that match what you're seeing?

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@brenty How in the WORLD did you figure that out? I elevate you to rockstar status.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@brenty And I can one up you (ever so slightly :) ). Making any edit in the notes field does this - even if you hit the space bar once and then delete the space. Seems anything done in the notes field at all, whether saved or not, will center the title.

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

@iamecho exactly, that is what I just figured out as well (before reading the complete thread). Seems like we saved the contents of the notes field differently in the past and with editing the notes now they are all saved in the same way - which fixes the layout issue. Glad there is an easy enough workaround.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@Winnie Thanks Winnie. Such a small thing, but as the latest beta is running so smoothly I needed something to test & document ;)

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

@iamecho I am happy you don't find anything major :D - and caring about the small details is important too.

This discussion has been closed.