Death of an Old PC - Transferring 1Password to New Build

Options

Dear Lovely Support People,

Sadly my motherboard/old desktop died last week. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding and have transferred all C:drive files/folders from the previous system SSD to a temporary holding area on a laptop.

(1) After downloading the latest version of 1Password from the website, what do I need to transfer from the 1Password program folder to the SSD of the new computer to ensure that my existing 1Password data is on the new PC and that I can continue to use it?

(2) What backup strategy do you recommend to avoid this hassle in the event of any future technological terminations?

(3) Where do I find information on applying a single 1Password account across multiple Windows laptops and Apple devices?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards

Martin Parker

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Martinjay,

I'm sorry to hear about your computer.

(1) After downloading the latest version of 1Password from the website, what do I need to transfer from the 1Password program folder to the SSD of the new computer to ensure that my existing 1Password data is on the new PC and that I can continue to use it?

Nothing from the Program Files (x86) > 1Password 4 directory, we don't store any data in there.

All you need should be in your Documents > 1Password directory. It includes your backups and your active 1Password vault folder.

Your active 1Password vault folder can change depending on if you're syncing your data with Dropbox or other cloud services. If you are, then your 1Password vault would be in the Dropbox folder or the other cloud folders. Just to be clear, this is separate from the Backups folder, it will remain in the Documents directory.

All you have to do is copy the Documents > 1Password folder from the backup to the same place on your new SSD drive and then open 1Password, it'll automatically find the active folder based on the default path it will look at.

(2) What backup strategy do you recommend to avoid this hassle in the event of any future technological terminations?

Our recommendation is the standard backup recommended by everyone, at least 3 copies; 2 local copies at home and one offsite.

In 1Password, there's the Backup preference you can adjust to back up to a network drive if you have it. We do not recommend syncing the same backups folder to all of your computers as you lose redundancy since you should have a copy of the backups for each computer.

This is one of the setups that work often:

1. 1Password backs up to the Documents > 1Password > Backups and a clone of the hard drive is taken weekly or monthly depending on your needs.
    2. A remote backup tool will back up the Documents folder, like BackBlaze, CrashPlan, SpiderOak, and so on.

(3) Where do I find information on applying a single 1Password account across multiple Windows laptops and Apple devices?

Do you mean syncing your 1Password vault to all computers like with Dropbox or do you mean using 1Password Families service to let you log into your 1Password account that will hold your data on our server and use it on any computers you use?

This discussion has been closed.