Just upgraded MacBook early 2009 aluminum from 10.7.5 to El Capitan 10.11.4.

Peter Cerrato
Peter Cerrato
Community Member
edited March 2016 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Safari 9.1 now has no extensions.

Still running 1Password 3.8.22.

What do I ned to do to safely get 1Password running in my browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox) again?

Thank!

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:uograde, kb-search:upgrade, kb:upgrade-mac, kb:uninstall-v3-extension

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@Peter Cerrato as your post relates to 1P3 for Mac I have moved the post from the 1Password for Mac forum to the 1P3 legacy forum where you will get more help.

The best place to start is by reading this sticky at the top of the forum.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Peter Cerrito: Indeed, 1Password 3 was built for Snow leopard and Lion, so it doesn't know anything about El Capitan. The old 1Password extension simply won't work in modern browsers either. However, 1Password 6 fully supports El Capitan and the latest browsers, and if you'd like to upgrade you can get a discount from the AgileBits Store using your existing license key. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions! :)

• Peter Cerrato
    Peter Cerrato
    Community Member

My main question is how to do the upgrade without risking losing any saved passwords.

Also, my other laptop can't upgrade to El Capitan and must stay on 10.7.5. Any problems with running iPass 6 on one laptop and 1Pass 3 on another?

• Peter Cerrato
    Peter Cerrato
    Community Member

I went ahead and followed these instructions:
    https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/

On El Capitan, Safari and Firefox had already disabled or removed the 1Pass extension. Only Chrome has a working extension that I removed.

Up and running on the trial version of 1Pass 6 . . . looking for the upgrade license I just purchased now . . .

• Peter Cerrato
    Peter Cerrato
    Community Member

OK, looks like a simple click in the license email got 1Pass 6 licensed.
    Now to finish up with the Firefox and Chrome browser extensions and to verify that our iPhones and the legacy macbook on 1Pass3 are still all good 1Pass players.

• Peter Cerrato
    Peter Cerrato
    Community Member

OK, looks like we're all up and running!

Thanks for keeping an eye on our request.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Peter Cerrito: Thanks for the update! It sounds like you're all set, but I want to follow up here too in case it helps you or anyone else.

My main question is how to do the upgrade without risking losing any saved passwords.

All release of 1Password since roughly version 2.9 support the AgileKeychain format, so after upgrading the app will still be able to read your data. :)

Also, my other laptop can't upgrade to El Capitan and must stay on 10.7.5. Any problems with running iPass 6 on one laptop and 1Pass 3 on another?

There is only one potential issue: since 1Password 3 doesn't know about some of the data written by 1Password 4 and later, it's important to not make changes in 1Password 3 if you'll be syncing the data with newer versions. Just use the old app as a "reader" and you have nothing to worry about. :)

OK, looks like we're all up and running! Thanks for keeping an eye on our request.

You're welcome! I'm glad that everything went smoothly for you. We're here if you need anything else! :chuffed:

• ldarnell
    ldarnell
    Community Member

so, Peter, if I can restate what I think you're saying current and potentially future versions will be backward compatible so older versions can access and understand the database, but will be unable to write to the database. I have several machines running snow leopard and several running el capitan. So I presume i need to download the appropriate versions for each, and they will sync like water in a stream.

thnx
    Larry

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

Hi Larry ( @ldarnell ),

current and potentially future versions will be backward compatible so older versions can access and understand the database, but will be unable to write to the database.

In 1Password 4 (I believe) we introduced the OPVault data format as an alternative to our Agile Keychain format (the format used for databases in 1Password 3). In addition the the brand new secure-er data format, we’ve been adding all sorts of great features to 1Password, including changes to the way you can store data within an item. To give an example of this: custom fields are a post-1Password 3 addition. In more recent versions of 1Password, instead of storing extra data in a generic notes field, you can create fields of various types to organize all sorts of information within an item. It’s pretty fantastic, but because it was implemented after 1Password 3, if you open an item with custom fields in 1Password 3, those custom fields will not display, because 1Password 3 doesn’t know how to display them. This is why Brenty suggested using 1Password 3 as a read-only device. Those fields will still be there, invisible, unless you update that item in 1Password 3. Re-saving it in 1Password 3 would remove those fields.

I have several machines running snow leopard and several running el capitan. So I presume i need to download the appropriate versions for each, and they will sync like water in a stream.

You can download the appropriate version of 1Password for each operating system on our downloads page. On your newer machines, you’ll want to ensure that the option to ‘Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder Sync’ is not selected. This will prompt 1Password to use the ‘classic’, 1Password 3-compatible Agile Keychain format for creating sync files:

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions or concerns, we’re here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.