I purchased a licensing fee and have two mac books. Is the license for the 2nd mac book not included

Options
Roman_101
Roman_101
Community Member

Hi there,

I purchased a licensing fee for my mac books via apple itunes. Now I wanted to download the app for my 2nd mac book and I need to pay again. Do I need to purchase a license for every mac device of mine?

Thanks for your answer,
Roman

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I purchased a licensing fee and have two mac books. Is the license for the 2nd mac book not included

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@Roman_101 -

Do I need to purchase a license for every mac device of mine?

You absolutely do not have to buy another license for a second Mac, if you have already purchased a Mac license. Licenses are sold on a per user (you) and per platform (for example, Mac) basis, and they are not confined in any way to a particular device.

But, you say you bought your license via Apple iTunes. That would be a license for the iOS version, not the Mac version, which is a different platform. Does this apply to you? If you have an iOS license, you still need to buy a separate license for Mac.

But you also are saying you want to install 1Password on a second Mac, which seems to mean that you do already have a paid license for Mac. Apple has two App Stores, which is confusing. One is from 1Tunes for iOS applications and the other is the Mac App Store for Mac applications.

If you do have a Mac license from Apple, you shouldn't have any trouble downloading a fresh copy for the second Mac, provided you are logged in under the same Apple ID you used to buy your license for the first Mac. Open the App Store application on your Mac and click on the Purchased tab. 1Password should show there.

Sorry to say so much, but since there is this confusion about which store we are talking about, I thought it might save time to lay out all the possibilities. If none of this helps you figure out what's going on, feel free to post back. If this is really a problem with the Mac App Store, though, you most likely will have to take it up with Apple. AgileBits has no control there and doesn't even know who buys their software from Apple.

• Roman_101
    Roman_101
    Community Member
    Options

Hi hawkmoth,

thanks a lot for your fast feedback. Highly appreciated!

The 2 apple stores are really confusing. I checked and it seems I have purchased the iOS license on the itunes store. So if I understood you right, that would mean I need to buy a second license for my 2nd mac book. I thought iOS and Mac would be "app wise" the same...

I obviously don't want to pay a 2nd license as this would be unnecessary if I would have bought in on the mac app store in the ist place. I understand I need to take that up with apple now or is there any other way?

Appreciate your support,
    Roman

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

So if I understood you right, that would mean I need to buy a second license for my 2nd mac book.

If you haven't ever bought a Mac license, then yes, you need to buy one for your second MacBook. It will work for your first Mac too.

I thought iOS and Mac would be "app wise" the same...

No, the applications for iOS and OS X are sold completely separately. They can use the same data by syncing over iCloud or Dropbox.

I obviously don't want to pay a 2nd license as this would be unnecessary if I would have bought in on the mac app store in the ist place.

Also not quite right. If you bought the license for the Mac first, you would still need a separate license for your iOS devices. The iOS application is free in its basic form, but it requires an in-app purchase to activate the more advanced Pro features. If you do that, you will be able to use that license on any iOS devices that share the same Apple ID. But it won't affect the need for a Mac license, one way or the other.

I understand I need to take that up with apple now or is there any other way?

There isn't anything to take up with Apple, so far as I can tell. You have a legitimate license for your iOS devices. Now you need to add another one for your Macs.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Just to add to the confusion!

At one point the receipt for a purchase of a Mac app from the Mac App Store (which is different from the iOS app store, and does not involve going through iTunes) was shown as an iTunes purchase. Fortunately Apple have now seen sense, and the two purchases can be easily distinguished.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @danco! That's a good point, and could definitely add to the confusion, depending on when the purchase was made. I'm really glad Apple started making that clearer in their email receipts!

• Roman_101
    Roman_101
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for you support . I could manage with apple at no extra costs.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad we were able to get everything sorted out. :)

Don't hesitate to get back in touch if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.