Lifetime licence

Sunshine
Sunshine
Community Member

Is there a plan for a one time payment to buy a life time family licence?
I do not like monthly or annual payment.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

Hi again, @Sunshine! I do not believe we plan to offer a lifetime payment option for 1Password Families. We have recurring costs involved with maintaining the service (mainly for syncing and storing data) which is why it's offered on a subscription basis. But we do appreciate the feedback, and I want to thank you for offering your opinion on the payment options available in 1Password Families :+1:

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

My two cents: Lifetime license is a bullshit. No company can assure you to still alive during your life...

1P for Family is not a perpetual license but a subscription service, so you have to paid annually. It's more convenient for a company like Agile to get recurrent yearly revenue, that's the model for 1P family.

A lot of software company switch to this model while the perpetual model doesn't assure you that customers will stick to the product (or less). But it's also a market demand.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@guillaumeserton,

No company can assure you to still alive during your life...

Indeed. I purchased a lifetime account from a web hosting company in the mid-1990s. (Don't worry, I wasn't actually expecting them to be around forever.) Over the years, the service got worse and worse. The storage space and bandwidth for my plan never increased from the allotments I was given when I first signed up, while other accounts they offered kept getting more of both.

I think they've been acquired by several companies now, and I stopped being able to log into that web hosting account years ago. :lol:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Perhaps worth mentioning that there is the stand-alone licence. No longer for families, just for individuals, but it won't expire for the major version you are using. There might be an upgrade price when a major upgrade comes along, but unless the old version won't work with a new OS there is no need to upgrade.

An anecdote about a "lifetime" purchase, not software. I paid $50 (I think that was the figure) for a lifetime subscription to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction way back around 1960, and I am still receiving it. One of my best purchases ever.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Sunshine ,

I was just about to pop in here and mention our standalone licenses as an alternative to our subscription plan, but @danco beat me to it. :) As he says, if you prefer a one-time purchase, you can buy 1Password directly from the AgileBits Store. This license will never expire, and includes all in-version updates.

There are advantages to both pricing models, and I’d be happy to talk about this in a bit more detail if you’re still undecided. :)

This discussion has been closed.