2 versions installed and running

Options
radwerkz
radwerkz
Community Member

Hello, I just noticed that I have two versions of 1password mini showing in my menu bar on my iMac. I think the update to my OS may have caused this to happen as I do not recall it being like this previously. I actually had to log into each one, both use the same password, but each has a different version number. After researching a bit, I believe one version is a direct download from AgileBits and the other from the Apple Store.

I do not recall installing 2 copies, especially 2 different versions, but it's possible...I'm the father of 19 month old triplets and have an active 6 year old boy so I don't get enough sleep. I have a MacBook pro AND an iMac at home, an iMac at work, and use an Android phone so is there a way to use 1 version of your application for all my devices? I've been utilizing DropBox to sync my Android phone with my MacBook Pro but I do subscribe and pay annually for iCloud services (that I don't really use) so not sure what to do.

Each version installed here on my works iMac have a different number of accounts, and to be honest, I'm kinda confused on what to do (and how this happened) so any insight would be greatly appreciated. I don't really care which version i keep / use but just want access to all of my passwords from Android mobile, iMac at work, and MacBook pro at home. Not sure, but considering the fact the Agile Web Store version has more accounts, I'm guessing this is the application I should keep...but again, I don't even know why I see two 1Password apps here on my work iMac. Not sure if this is the case with my MacBook Pro at home.

1Password 5 - Version 5.3.2 - Agile Web Store (the license area says Purchased on Mac App store)

1Password - Version 5.3 - Mac App Store (this one does not contain any license info)

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @radwerkz,

It looks like you do indeed have two copies of 1Password installed on your Mac - the Mac App Store version (1Password.app, version 5.3) and the AgileBits Store version (1Password 5.app, version 5.3.2). That explains why you're seeing two instances of 1Password mini in the menu bar.

The reason why the AgileBits Store version says "Purchased on Mac App store" in the license window is because that version checks your Mac to see if you previously installed the Mac App Store version, and activates itself if you have. So that means you originally installed the Mac App Store version on that Mac, and at some point later installed the AgileBits Store version.

It's really up to you which one you keep and which one you delete. iCloud sync is only possible with the Mac App Store version, but if you're not using iCloud sync, that's probably not a concern. Once you decide which one you're going to keep on that Mac, the important thing will be to make sure you have all your data there. For the purposes of troubleshooting, I'm going to assume each copy of 1Password has items that aren't in the other copy, and that you want to merge all of them together in the same one (but if one copy already has all your current data, just let me know).

It sounds like you sync each one with Dropbox, which will make it easier to merge all your data into one copy of 1Password. Let's start by checking which keychain in Dropbox each copy syncs with. The steps are nearly identical for both versions, but I've listed the steps separately just in case it helps:

First, check the AgileBits Store version:

• Open 1Password 5.app and go to the menu for 1Password 5 > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • If Dropbox is currently selected as the sync option, check the file path for the .agilekeychain file (usually named 1Password.agilekeychain).
    • If something else is currently selected as the sync option, which one is selected?
    • Write down the sync info if necessary, then close the Preferences window.
    • Hold down the Control key and go to the menu for 1Password 5 > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini.

Next, check the Mac App Store version:

• Open 1Password.app and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • If Dropbox is currently selected as the sync option, check the file path for the .agilekeychain file (usually named 1Password.agilekeychain).
    • If something else is currently selected as the sync option, which one is selected?
    • Write down the sync info if necessary, then close the Preferences window.
    • Hold down the Control key and go to the menu for 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini.

Please let us know what you find, and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

I'm the father of 19 month old triplets and have an active 6 year old boy so I don't get enough sleep.

I can't even imagine! I hope you're able to get some well-deserved rest soon. ;)

• radwerkz
    radwerkz
    Community Member
    Options

Drew, thank you for the response and my apologies for not responding sooner. I'm finally getting around to resolving my duplicate 1password apps on my Mac... am wanting to add my Teams account and realized I'd better sort this out.

To answer your question regarding sync;

Mac OS 10.10.5
    1Password 6 (has 111 items) - Syncing with Dropbox (and to mobile, see below)
    1Password Version 6.2.1 (has 124 items) - This copy is not not syncing.

Side note, i have my Android syncing with 1Password6 agilekeychain.
    Android device (HTC One M8)
    1Password for Android v6.3 - Appears to be syncing with 1Password 6 Dropbox file

Looking forward to your answer... hoping there's a way to combine files without problem but if it's a messy process, I now see there's an option to export selected records. Please advise, and thank you for your time.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

It's not (no longer) true that one has to have the MAS version to use iCloud sync.

• radwerkz
    radwerkz
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@odysseus not sure of the relevance, I'm using DropBox to sync. I do, however, have an iCloud account if that makes things easier, but again my mobile device is Android and don't need / want to sync from my iPad.

Just trying to figure out the best way to merge my 2 agileKeychains into 1 and remove one of the apps off my Mac.

To answer Drew's question, yes both applications have different items saved and I would like to merge the 2 keyChains without loosing any accounts.

Thank you

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

@radwerz I was responding to a comment of @Drew_AG above.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus! My previous comment in this thread was actually posted last August (2015) when iCloud sync was only possible in the Mac App Store version. So, my information was correct at that time, but you're correct that it's no longer true - we were able to add iCloud sync to the AgileBits Store version when we released 1Password 6 for Mac a few months ago, in January (2016).

I appreciate that you wanted to help correct me - I wouldn't want to accidentally give the wrong information to anyone! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @radwerkz! It's certainly been a while, but no need to apologize - we're here for you when you need us. :)

...am wanting to add my Teams account and realized I'd better sort this out.

I'm happy to hear you have a 1Password for Teams account! You're right - it's probably a good idea to get the sync issue sorted out first. Fortunately I think that will be very easy.

You shouldn't lose anything at all, but before following my steps below, be sure to make a new backup of your 1Password data in both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions. To do that, open one of them and go to File > Backup (that will open the Backup preferences and show all your backups, including the new one you just made). Quit that version and open the other one, and go to File > Backup.

1Password 6 (has 111 items) - Syncing with Dropbox (and to mobile, see below)

If I understand, this version of 1Password and your Android device are syncing correctly with each other via Dropbox, so they have all the same 1Password data.

1Password Version 6.2.1 (has 124 items) - This copy is not not syncing.

If this version of 1Password isn't currently syncing at all, then the solution should be simple - just enable Dropbox sync and select the same .agilekeychain file in Dropbox that the other version and your Android device are syncing with. You can follow these steps:

• Open the version of 1Password that is not syncing (i.e. the one with 124 items) and go to 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab, then change the sync from None to Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button, then select the same .agilekeychain file in Dropbox that syncs with the other version of 1Password (then click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

Once Dropbox sync completes, you should have all your merged data in this version of 1Password. When you open the other version (i.e. the one that had 111 items), it should sync with the updated .agilekeychain file from Dropbox, and both versions of 1Password should now have all the same data. If for some reason you run into a problem with that, stop here and let us know.

Assuming that goes well, you can decide which version of 1Password for Mac to keep, and which one to delete. Since you made your purchase from the Mac App Store, it probably makes sense to continue using that one, but it's entirely up to you. You'll want to open the version you intend to delete, then hold down the Control key and go to 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini. Then drag that app file to the Trash (make sure you do not use any app cleaning tools when you do that).

Finally, if all goes well up to this point, you can go ahead and sign into your Teams account from the remaining 1Password app on your Mac.

Let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• radwerkz
    radwerkz
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Okay, that's what I was hoping to hear... I can point both versions to sync on the same Dropbox file. I didn't want to test it without confirmation. I appreciate the mention of not using CleanApp to remove...it was a thought and yes, would have been bad! ;-)

Okay, sync worked as planned, thank you.

Just curious... if both apps are syncing to the same file in Dropbox, can I not leave both apps on my Mac? Is it better to remove one? I would prefer to have the "vanilla" copy (aka from AgileBits) but if my license is tied to the Mac Store one, then perhaps I need to keep that version (1Password 6). Decisions decisions, LOL.

Regardless, thanks for the prompt help and thank you and your team for continually updating an already brilliant application. I was happy before but now with all the new features and Team ability... it's a game changer!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Okay, sync worked as planned, thank you.

That is great news, @radwerkz! Thanks for following up to let us know all is well. :)

can I not leave both apps on my Mac? Is it better to remove one?

We recommend deleting one. There isn't much difference at this point (now that iCloud is available in both). So it is up to you if you would prefer getting updates from the Mac App Store or from within the app itself. Updates to the version from our website come more quickly as we don't have to wait for Apple to approve them. We approve them ourselves. ;) But it usually doesn't take long before it is updated in the Mac App Store as well.

In your Applications folder, the app called "1Password 6" is the one from our website. The app called "1Password" is the one from Mac App Store. I will leave it to you to decide which to keep.

That way you won't ever have to worry about diverging data between them.

• radwerkz
    radwerkz
    Community Member
    Options

Great, removed one and have added team account to sole copy left. ;-) Thanks again guys, very much appreciate your product. Curious, since I have you on the line, if you could point me in direction of your partnerships / reseller signup. Would like to include you in our enterprise cyberSecurity offering.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@radwerkz,

At this time, the best option is through Apple's affiliate program for the App Store. However, that isn't really the best option for a lot of folks since it doesn't take into account other platforms, the version of 1Password for Mac from our website, or 1Password Families.

Perhaps we can have something better in the future. I'll mention this to the team. Thank you for bringing it up!

• justisengard
    justisengard
    Community Member
    Options

@khad Let me second @radwerkz request for an Affiliate Program for your products.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Noted. Thanks, @justisengard! :)

This discussion has been closed.