Looking for the 1Password helper??

Mike3765
Mike3765
Community Member

I am a new user and I just signed up for 1Password Families. I am using Windows 10 and Chrome. After I signed in on the website I used the pulldown on the right side to install the Windows 10 App on my computer and was able to sign into my account from that App. The Icon did not appear in my browser so I used the online installer to get that extension added to Chrome. Now when I click on the Icon all I get is a window saying "Looking for the 1Password helper The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly." Is there something else I need to install or configure?

1Password Version: 1Password Beta
Extension Version: 4.5.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:extension-troubleshooting, kb:teams-families-setup, kb:teams-families-migrate, kb:teams-families-setup, kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mike3765,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry for the confusion.

• Right now, the extension does not work with the 1Password for Windows 10 app.
    • And the 1Password 4 for Windows app doesn't yet have support for family or team accounts.

You'll need to either use 1Browser, the built-in browser in the Windows 10 app, or copy and paste the credentials into a different browser. We're hard at work to resolve both of the above issues, but I can't give a specific time frame or even say which will happen first.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns in the meantime!

• cotterman
    cotterman
    Community Member

@dahanbn I strongly echo this statement!

5+ year user of 1Password here and love it. Read about the new Families option and instantly loved the idea. Came on the website, saw support for Windows, so I signed up and began the migration process.

Then it became clear that Windows isn't functional. The Chrome extension -- both the automated adding of new password entries into vault and the automated filling in of passwords into browser -- make up 95% of my interaction with 1Password. Hard to imagine how AB can claim support for Windows without this MVP feature. And no, sorry, using a different web browser is a firm non-starter.

As it stands I'm stuck managing two solutions. The (new) solution that allows me to share passwords with my family (an idea I love). And an (old) solution that actually works with Windows.

Anyway, just wanted to add my voice to the conversation after reading about the Windows issue in-depth in this forum. Had I known the true state of Windows, I would have definitely waited to sign up until after Windows is fully supported. IMO, this is dangerously close to a bait-and-switch situation! (Yes, I know I can cancel before my trial ends and not be out any $$$...but I already started the migration and brought family members on-board).

In summary: I really hope there is a rich Windows application + browser support within the next 2-3 months.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@dahanbn,

Indeed. It appears that Dave (and others) already had a long conversation about this with you in the other thread you started about this. It might be best to keep the discussion about this in one place if you think there still is more to be said. We're happy to continue the discussion there.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@cotterman,

First, thank you so much for your longtime support. 1Password wouldn't be what it is today without great users like you, dahanbn, and Mike3765.

I agree that I use the extension a lot more than the main 1Password app on my Mac, so I can completely understand your frustration.

We've endeavored to make it as clear as possible on the website…

…but it truly is on us to improve things so that regardless of what is on the website, the reality meets the expectations that everyone has: 1Password Families on all the platforms where you are already used to running 1Password without losing any functionality.

We don't pre-announce release dates, but if you stick with 1Password Families, I think you will be quite pleased very soon. If it were me, I wouldn't want to undo all the work I did migrating my data either, but, as you mentioned, we do offer a complete refund if you (or anyone else) would like to take us up on that.

• cotterman
    cotterman
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

@khad I'm encouraged by your (albeit very careful) verbiage here. I have to assume that "very soon" means no more than 2 months and I can stick it out until then. Yay!

I would definitely echo @dahanbn statement about the website claiming support for Windows 10. Put yourself in the shoes of a longtime 1Password Windows user. Our experience has been a fully-featured client + browser plugins. When you claim support for Windows 10, it's a natural assumption that it would mean a similar experience to previous versions of Windows as opposed to the completely-different (IMO near-broken) experience of the Windows 10 metro app.

[edit]

Suggestion to make it really clear:
    Change "Mac & Windows 10" to "Mac & Windows 10 Metro (Beta)" -- as you yourself describe the Windows 10 app as a beta version.
    Change "Mac & Windows (7 and newer)" to "Mac & Windows (7 and newer) + Browser Integration"

That additional verbiage for 1Password would demonstrate that 1Password for Families does not support the browser extensions.

• mdmangus
    mdmangus
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

@cotterman, @dahanbn . I really agree. I wasted an hour or so on the Windows side 1Password for Windows. Then going back and forth to forums. Then realizing needed to go through metro app, which I did that didn't appeal at all. So I've commented to other users that they are not crazy in the forums.

@1Password team, Your really forcing your customers to go on a safari to discover disappointment. If you don't mind that and your happy to have people continuously flaring up your forum's then keep the marketing material the way it is.

I have Mac's for my wife and myself so I can deal with the pain until things develop further on Windows and other platforms, but if I didn't use mac's and spent hours on a safari with trial and error like I went through and to discover I am out of luck... Oh, thank god I have macs!. lol

I wouldn't want to be in that Windows only world waiting for something for Metro needs some serious love and with that I would rather have a true Windows Client Application over a Metro app.

Anyways, cheers! Still like families enough to drop LastPass which has extensions for all browsers. Which I hope you guys now having your own cloud for storing this info can build your extensions to pull from the cloud so that even use it in a chromebook without having a rich client. With that I love the Rich Clients, but you guys should look at utilizing your cloud for your extensions for browsers.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

Those are some good suggestions, @cotterman. I completely understand where the confusion may have come from.

Change "Mac & Windows 10" to "Mac & Windows 10 Metro (Beta)" -- as you yourself describe the Windows 10 app as a beta version.

Microsoft has not used the "Metro" designation for a very long time. They simply refer to those kinds of apps as "Windows apps" and only refer to the desktop apps as "Windows desktop apps". I don't want to pass the buck in the least, but I do wish Microsoft was clearer here. Whatever additional wording we could add could only be helped by Microsoft using clearer terminology to describe the different kinds of apps.

It's on us to make it clear despite all that.

Change "Mac & Windows (7 and newer)" to "Mac & Windows (7 and newer) + Browser Integration"

I will certainly pass along your suggestion to clarify support for the browser extension on Windows. I think that is a very fair thing to suggest.

Anyways, cheers! Still like families enough to drop LastPass which has extensions for all browsers. Which I hope you guys now having your own cloud for storing this info can build your extensions to pull from the cloud so that even use it in a chromebook without having a rich client. With that I love the Rich Clients, but you guys should look at utilizing your cloud for your extensions for browsers.

Thank you for your kind words, @mdmangus! You make a very good point as well. We just launched 1Password Families a couple months ago, (and 1Password for Teams is not even out of beta). There will be a lot of new possibilities as we grow both of them. :)
    ref: B5S-61

• mdmangus
    mdmangus
    Community Member

@khad

I just want go a little farther since 1Password Team is breaking out into new territory. First the reason I dropped LastPass was Family Vaults. I truly love Vault and sharing, but being able in 1Password for Families on Mac and on my Android. Assume same for iOS devices that you can go into preferences to hide vaults from the All Vaults selection. For me this was critical where I could load all my credit cards so I have the info handy, but placed my favorite credit cards in a separate vault. This allowed me to hide the longer list of cards from both the Mac Client and the Android app, but still easily there by clicking on the specific vault. This is just an example of how awesome the Vaults are... With that it would be nice you guys bring that preference up to the cloud so that the web portal can act the same way and automatically set that preference on the other clients...

So that is enough for me to move away from LastPass just awesome... In the part of this thread though I think you guys probably could make all users happy and quicker if focused on bringing your web family portal functionality closer to full management like moving items to other vaults, etc and focus on extensions to pull from the cloud. If those two areas were rock solid you would have much more conversion of users. Don't get me wrong I want the Rich Desktop clients like the Mac and should also be on the Windows... But if you could quickly incorporate the extensions to the cloud and make your website for management more feature rich that you could gain users regardless of the Rich clients. I really liked LastPass extension capabilities, but I think 1Password is in a position to take it much further.

You guys rock.. I've had 1Password for Mac single licenses so you guys moving to the cloud is very awesome and glad to be moving back to using it further than just a little on the mac desktop. My wife on the mac is benefiting for it was only me using it on LastPass. Kudos. Thank you.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@mdmangus,

This allowed me to hide the longer list of cards from both the Mac Client and the Android app, but still easily there by clicking on the specific vault.

That's a really great use of multiple vaults! I am considering that myself now. I hadn't even experimented with that before, so thanks for bring that to my attention. :)

With that it would be nice you guys bring that preference up to the cloud so that the web portal can act the same way and automatically set that preference on the other clients...

It is a great idea. I'll mention it to the team. One of the reasons we haven't been syncing preferences in the past, though, is that many folks prefer to have different preferences on different computers and devices. Maybe it makes sense to have all my vaults visible on my Mac, but I only want one or two to show up in All Vaults on my mobile devices. Same with auto-lock settings. I have different needs on a desktop machine vs laptop vs mobile device. Not saying we can't do it in a way that makes sense, but these are some of the things we think about.

…I think you guys probably could make all users happy and quicker if focused on bringing your web family portal functionality closer to full management like moving items to other vaults, etc and focus on extensions to pull from the cloud.

I cannot disagree. We don't normally discuss future plans, but you can be sure this isn't the first time this has come up. ;)

You guys rock.. I've had 1Password for Mac single licenses so you guys moving to the cloud is very awesome and glad to be moving back to using it further than just a little on the mac desktop. My wife on the mac is benefiting for it was only me using it on LastPass. Kudos. Thank you.

This is really awesome. I'm going to be sharing this with the whole team here, as it is always important to know how we are helping people in very concrete ways. I'm so glad your wife is using a password manager now. Our goal is always to help people be more secure. We never get tired of hearing about "one more person" using 1Password (especially when she has such a clearly brilliant spouse). :sunglasses:

This discussion has been closed.