Is it possible to manually edit the login name or password for a saved site? (Windows)

Options

Hi,

I'm in the process of migrating from another (less secure) password manager to 1P, but I've hit a couple of bumps.

The first is that their export has changed all instances of "&" in the password to "&" and I can't find a way of editing the password to manually correct for these. Am I missing something? I don't want to delete everything and start again (after manually editing their CSV) if I can avoid it, as i've changed a mess of passwords since I've changed to 1P.

It's somewhat related, but I occasionally save a login that gets rejected (typically a capitalisation issue with the username). Is it possible to also manually edit that in 1P, or do I need to delete the login and go again?

1Password Version: 4.6.0
Extension Version: 4.6.0.604
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not working yet.
Referrer: forum-search:edit existing site

Comments

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member
    Options

damn. the site has turned my 'ampersand-amp-semi-colon' back to the character.

It should read "The first is that their export has changed all instances of "&" in the password to 'ampersand-amp-semi-colon'...

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Greig,

You can edit any of your data in the main 1Password program. Open the main 1Password program, unlock, select the Logins on the sidebar and then locate the item you want to edit. Click on the 'pencil' icon on the item's toolbar to edit it, and go to the bottom table view, you'll find the username and password rows there you can edit to fix the issue.

We're working on a new major version of 1Password that'll be much easier to edit with.

If you have a lot of Login items with the ampersand conversion issue, what you can do is select them, export them via the File Menu > Export to CSV, edit it in a spreadsheet program to do a Find all > Replace and save it, reimport it into 1Password to overwrite them. I would recommend backing up your 1Password data before doing that via the Backup Menu in 1Password.

• Greig
    Greig
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike. I went with the export/import. That resulted in two of everything, so I fixed that by blowing EVERYTHING away and then doing the import into a blank database. All's looking great now.

I swear I'd tried that same manual edit process before but it wasn't letting me make changes - hence the query. Meh. Happy now. Thanks again.

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome, I'm glad you got it working now.

This discussion has been closed.