1password on Windows 10 won't start. Help!

LawsonMatthews
LawsonMatthews
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have installed the Windows 10 app but the program closes after about 4 seconds.

Why would this be?

THanks M

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:teams-families-migrate, kb:teams-families-setup, kb-search:1password beta not starting, kb:uninstall-1password

Comments

• Hi @LawsonMatthews,

First, please open the Windows Store app and check for updates, we've added a lot of crash fixes in the latest update.

If there are updates, install it and after that, open 1Password Beta, see if it will stay still without crashing.

If not, could you email us your crash reports and we can see why it is crashing for you. Here's the link on how to do this, scroll until you see the section on "If you are not able to open 1Password because of a crash, you can still email us the logs".

PS: I've moved your thread to our Windows 10 Beta forum.

• LawsonMatthews
    LawsonMatthews
    Community Member

Thanks for coming back to me.

I am running the latest version as I reinstalled today.

I put op://log as per the instructions. 1password starts for 4 seconds and goes away. No dialogue box appears :(

• Hi @LawsonMatthews,

What happens if you use op://log/folder, does Windows File Explorer open up with any crash files in it?

• LawsonMatthews
    LawsonMatthews
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT ,

Exactly the same thing happens...

• Meaning that no Windows Explorer opens at all?

• LawsonMatthews
    LawsonMatthews
    Community Member

@AlexHoffmann Windows Explorer does not open at all.

• LawsonMatthews
    LawsonMatthews
    Community Member
  • LawsonMatthews
    LawsonMatthews
    Community Member

The above is the Event ID for everytime i attempted to start 1password Beta.

• LawsonMatthews
    LawsonMatthews
    Community Member

I have managed to isolate the issues to access control. I am having issue as admin however I have just setup another normal user and 1password beta started. What settings need to be present as Admin for the program to run?

• @LawsonMatthews are you running some of Windows Insider builds or regular Windows 10? From my personal experience, Insider builds sometimes cause trouble with Store apps, like not launching them or freezing. Last time it happened to me some of my Store apps didn't work at all and the only fix was to reinstall Windows (perhaps deleting user and adding it back again will work, but I didn't try myself).

• LawsonMatthews
    LawsonMatthews
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile I have no idea what installer builds are. How can I tell if they are running? This is a custom built machine but not by me.

• Insider builds are "preview" or "beta" builds of Windows 10, user must enroll in this program. They tend to have more issues than regular Windows builds, but they are updated almost every week or two. Easiest way is to look at your desktop, if you have something like this picture at the bottom right corner - you are on Insider build

If you have no idea about that, then most likely you are on regular Windows build. I'd guess you have version 1511 that was released in November 2015. Does other apps from the Store work well? You can run couple of commands in command line to check for some issues:

wsreset.exe - it will clean Store app caches and sometimes helps to resolve issues.
    sfc.exe /scannow - this requires elevated command line and checks critical Windows files for unauthorized modification/corruption.

• MikeT
    edited May 2016

Hi @LawsonMatthews,

To run these commands:

1. Right-click on the start button to select Command Line (Admin)
    2. Type wsreset.exe and wait, it'll launch the Store app after it is done.
    3. See if 1Password works and if not, switch back to the command line to type sfc.exe /scannow. It'll let you know if there are system errors to repair and once it is done, reboot the computer to try again.

1Password Beta does not require any special permissions or settings to run, it's a sandboxed app managed by the Windows Store, so it's all handled automatically for you.

• LawsonMatthews
    LawsonMatthews
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

@MikeT This is the result. Will reboot as you said...

• LawsonMatthews
    LawsonMatthews
    Community Member

And no change :(

• Hi @LawsonMatthews,

What about the other Store apps, are you able to run them without crashing?

• LawsonMatthews
    LawsonMatthews
    Community Member

I dont use any other store apps.

• Hi @LawsonMatthews,

Unfortunately, we need you to try something else because it may be a systemic issue with all Windows Store apps and not just 1Password Beta.

If you use Dropbox, try downloading the Dropbox app from the Windows Store app.

We've seen sometime that installing a different Store app would then fix the apps, which is strange on its own.

• LawsonMatthews
    LawsonMatthews
    Community Member

@Mike T No joy. I will just use the browser until there is another version.

• Hi @LawsonMatthews,

So, the Dropbox app works fine? Another version may not fix this, we don't have any controls over permissions since the Windows Store apps are sandboxed and directly managed by Windows, not by us. In order to fix this, we have to figure this out or get Microsoft involved.

In the Event Viewer that shows the errors, can you take a screenshot of the details of that error and upload either here or email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Please include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.