can’t log-in to online banking

Options

The bank must have changed their authentication process as I suddenly can’t log in. I’ve tried using Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. The first log in page asks for my user ID, which I type in and submit. The second page asks for my secret word and then my password. Previously, after typing in the first letter of the secret word, it would show up highlighted in the drop-down list and I’d use 1P mini to fill in the password. That no longer works. If I copy the password from 1P and paste it into the password field and click on submit, that works fine. I’ve tried changing the 1P setting to Never Submit (it used to be Always), but that didn’t work. The log-in web site URL has changed, so I tried pasting that into 1P, but that didn’t help either. Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:suddenly can’t log in to online banking

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@TigerMO the usual solution for problems like this is to re-create and save the login manually. Have you tried that?

Stephen

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @TigerMO! Stephen's suggestion is a good start. If you're still having trouble, please post the website you're having trouble with and we'll investigate. :)

• TigerMO
    TigerMO
    Community Member
    Options

Tried Stephen’s suggestion. Still wouldn’t connect me.

Error logging in. Please check your User ID and Password and try again.

I believe it’s related to the 2-page log-in process. The first page is: https://secure.centralbank.net/login/login/Login.jsp

Once you enter in a valid User ID, you go to the second page, which I can’t show you without revealing my ID.

• Narius
    Narius
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - I was searching to report a similar problem - but in this case I'm on iOS. I went this morning to demonstrate to a colleague how good 1P is, and she asked about banks. So I confidently went to my bank, anz.com and the login page wouldn't enter details. That was iOS phone 6S+ using 9.3. On iPad Pro now and same thing (Same OS). Other ba

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Narius,

We're likely looking at very different causes here. We know IFrames sadly give us trouble on iOS and even on what seems like a very simple page (https://www.anz.com/INETBANK/bankmain.asp) they're using IFrames. If instead of visiting their normal login page do you find it works better if you visit www.anz.com/INETBANK/login.asp instead? That seems to be the page loaded inside the IFrame and it seems to load okay directly. Do you find filling works better now?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TigerMO,

What makes this tricky is that the issue might not be obvious unless it's being tested with a real account. Thankfully it seems entering any old username gets us to the page that you see and I'm guessing this is what you see?

What I see is that the Secret Word section isn't typical in it's design, in fact the entire login form is wrapped up in layers of a table but the key part is how they identify each secret word changes every time the page is loaded. When you save a Login item from in the browser 1Password records the secret word but as the dynamically altering value rather than its title. So when you fill 1Password is trying to set the secret word and causing trouble because the value is no longer in use.

I'd like to try a different approach. Can you try creating what I refer to as a basic Login item please. This is an item created from inside 1Password with no concept of how the page looks. Fill in the username and password fields and set the website field to

https://secure.centralbank.net/login/login/Login.jsp

I believe this more simple Login item will allow you to fill in your username on the first page and then only attempt to fill in the password field on the second page, leaving the secret word table alone.

Does that work any better?

• Narius
    Narius
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables - That worked like a charm. But how is the average Joe meant to know to get there? I just click on the link on their homepage that invites me to go to internet banking.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Narius,

The average joe wouldn't and indeed shouldn't. Unless you actually enjoy tinkering with HTML you shouldn't even know what an IFrame is. We do need to try and do something better on iOS because IFrames aren't stunningly rare and if they stop you using the extension it's a pain. So longer term we need to improve filling if we can so it better matches how it works on the Mac. We have to be quite careful though because iOS and OS X are different and we can't always do the same thing on both platforms, indeed sometimes it isn't possible at all. The alternative URL is merely a workaround so you can fill there now but it isn't solution that readily scales and we do realise that (much better to have the extension work than to have everybody contact us individually and us investigate each site).

Believe me, I will be so very happy the day we can fill in IFrames on iOS. I may well do the snoopy dance when that day arrives.

• TigerMO
    TigerMO
    Community Member
    Options

littlebobbytables-

Your idea for creating a basic Login item worked perfectly. I had tried doing something similar, but had simply edited the website field to the new name and saved that edit. That didn’t work. Thank you very much.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great, @TigerMO! I'm glad that suggestion worked for you. Let us know if you have any other questions or issues. We're always here to help.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.