Different master passwords on each device and in Dropbox

Options
Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Master Password not working.

Comments

• mcleanda
    mcleanda
    Community Member
    Options

I have the app on 3 devices, a powerbook, powermac and iPhone and they all synch via dropbox. It appears that each device has a different master password and the synched data has its own. I can unlock the iPhone and powermac with different master passwords and I could not unlock the powerbook even though it was working 2 days ago. So I followed your guide and moved the helper folder to desktop and created a new vault so now I can unlock the powerbook but of course it is empty, I tried to synch with the dropbox file and it is asking for a master password and none of the passwords work on the synch file.
    Please advise, I am afraid I will get locked out of the the powermac and iPhone

• mcleanda
    mcleanda
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

OK so I restored my PBook info from a backup done 1 weeks ago and created a new synch file but am still unable to unlock my original synch file, should I just delete this synch file and reattach all devices to the new synch file ?? Whats up with different master passwords for each device ???

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mcleanda,

The problem you're running into is a bit different than the one in the previous discussion, so I've moved your message to a new thread. I hope you don't mind!

I'm sorry you've been having trouble with the master password on each device and for the sync file in Dropbox! If they're all syncing with each other, the master password should be the same on each one, so it's strange that they're all different. Does Dropbox sync work correctly between your devices, so changes you make on one will sync to the others? Or are you also having a problem with Dropbox sync in general?

To make sure we give you the right troubleshooting steps for this, we'll also need to know a few more details about your setup:

Thanks in advance! :)

• mcleanda
    mcleanda
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

See my last post, this issue now just affects the synch file, I can open all 3 devices but there are now 3 different master passwords, 1 for each device and none of them work on the synch file. Are master passwords device independant ???

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mcleanda,

I noticed you posted a couple more comments in the previous thread around the same time I was moving your original message to this new thread and typing my reply. I moved both of your new comments here as well.

Please take a look at my previous response (above) and let us know the answers to my questions when you get a chance. Once we know those details, we'll be able to give you some steps to help solve this problem. Thanks! :)

• mcleanda
    mcleanda
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Running 10.11.4 on both Macs and 9.3.1 on phone
    1Password version 6.2.1 on Macs and App store version
    1Password V 6.4 on iPhone
    Not sure if they are synching my phone appears to be said last synch 25secs ago, the master password on iPhone is different on mac which is at home and will check when I get there and update this post
    The Pbook is synching with the new synch file I created after restoring from a backup and put in a different folder in dropbox

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for replying with that information, @mcleanda! That is very helpful indeed. I can't speak for Drew, but part of what confused me was that you said PowerBook and PowerMac, and those wouldn't be able to run the current version of 1Password. (The current Apple computers are called MacBook and Mac Pro, but I'm sure you know that. Like me, you've probably just been a Mac user since before they changed the names. Old habits are hard to break! I know that for sure.) :)

Now, in order to get this resolved most efficiently, it would be useful to get some Diagnostics Reports from you. Your last sentence indicates that there probably more than one vault in your Dropbox folder, and the Diagnostics Reports will show is exactly what is going on. Please create 3 reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• mcleanda
    mcleanda
    Community Member
    Options

Done

support ID is [#DUE-37525-491]

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mcleanda,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: DUE-37525-491

This discussion has been closed.