Windows version 4 performance issues

Options

As a follow-up from the discussion at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/282433 and probably even an email thread at some point in the past (I think it was a part of support ID [#AQP-35282-462] discussion thread, not sure if it's related--I did see a phantom window yesterday for the first time since that thread concluded)...I'm still having really bad performance issues on 1Password for Windows and I'm wondering if there's any sort of fix while I'm holding out for the next version. Data's in Dropbox, sync is working fine, iOS and Mac versions working fine, Tune 1Password for Maximum Performance is working fine. Webpage autofill with keyboard shortcut or menu both work decently well (3-5 second delay at most from filling). Editing/saving entries isn't usually slow. But unlocking the vault and switching between the categories on the left both cause insane delays where the application locks up.

A minimum of 12-15 seconds every switch (between Favorites and Logins is most common) and just now I stopped counting at over 30 seconds (it finally finished not long after that) every time I switch categories to another folder (between Favorites, Logins, Secure Notes, and All--Accounts, Software, Secure Notes, and Identities, which I don't use terribly often and which each have very few entries, do seem to come up up within a couple of seconds at least today). During that time the software is locked up and Windows sometimes pops up the "application is unresponsive" warning. I have NO antivirus running on my computer (Win 10 Pro on Surface Pro 3), even Windows Defender is disabled permanently by policy (though I added 1Password to its exclusions last time there was an issue). Automatic update checking is disabled.

Any thoughts? This is an i5 and the Surface Pro 3 has a great SSD, there shouldn't be any bottlenecks on the system for what it's doing!

1Password Version: 4.6.0.BETA-605
Extension Version: 4.5.6.5
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro Update 1511
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

And, of course, after this problem has been going on for months, after I report it, now switching categories (any of them) is taking a couple of seconds in the app. No changes other than re-applying the "Tune 1Password for Maximum Performance" setting, killing the 1Password processes to close it, and re-opening it. Then it was still slow, but now I come back to my computer 30 minutes later and it's fast. Also unlocking is now taking about 3 seconds. Guess I should have reported the problem earlier :-)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @dszp,

The very next time it becomes slow, generate a diagnostic report for us. Unfortunately, there's a bug in BETA-605 that won't let you do that at the moment. So, my first suggestion is to downgrade to 604 stable here: http://agilebits.com/downloads

After reboot, test 1Password and when it gets slow, use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT, I assumed you'd want a diag report next but wasn't anticipating the issue being resolved so quickly or I would have tried to make one earlier. And I would have failed due to the beta bug apparently :-) The diag report from the support ticket I mentioned above probably has the same issue since it was happening before/after that report, but I'll generate a new one next time it happens, thanks!

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, one odd issue. Since I killed the 1Password processes and re-opened the program from the Start Menu, there's no tray icon, which usually comes back. It's on the task bar, and if I close it and re-open from the Start Menu it's still open and unlocked.

...and when I clicked the extension icon, it prompted to unlock the Helper and when I did so, the icon re-appeared. And it's still fast. Yay :-)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @dszp,

That really sounds strange. To me, it sounds like there was something slowing down 1Password's reading of your data folder. Which we have heard of before and it is almost always caused by a super-aggressive on-access scanner like an anti-virus scanning from an anti-malware solution.

I'd suggest the next time you do see this, in addition to generating the diagnostics report, also open your Task Manager and look for any other processes that might be spiking in CPU or disk activity, specifically your anti-malware or security processes.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@MikeT well I had to reboot for other reasons and now I'm back to just as sluggish as ever (but wait, there's more...). No antivirus is installed or active (Windows Defender disabled) and I paused CrashPlan backups. Uninstalled beta, installed latest stable from website, rebooted again, then it took as long as ever to unlock, so I created a diagnostics report and as soon as I saved it, switching between Favorites and Logins is now back to when it was fast briefly before. Bah! Every time I try to tell you there's a problem it starts working!

CPU is 25% or less consistently.

Even though the initial unlock was long, with CrashPlan disabled, I've removed the 1Password folder from CrashPlan backups entirely in case that was it. I'll generate another diagnostics report and submit it if I see the slowness again. Out of time for the moment and it's working. Will check next reboot!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @dszp,

Thanks for the details. Hopefully, you can narrow it down quickly. You have no idea how many times we've heard from customers writing in saying as soon as they wrote the email to us, the bugs disappeared. It is as if the bugs are afraid of us, which isn't surprising when considering how many we've killed in the name of stability. :smile:

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

I would not be susprised in the least...as an IT consultant for 6 years and IT support for 6 years before that, I've long ago lost count of the number of times I've walked up to a user and asked them to show me the problem and...like magic...it's all working now! :-)

• MikeT
    edited April 2016
    Options

Same here, there were a few times that people would ask for me to stop by for a second. I would walk to their cubicle and ask what's up, and they would look like they're doing something on their computer and tells me thanks for stopping by. :sarcastic:

I'm actually bald now, so I would imagine they would rub my head if I was still working in that place.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

Update...performance has held. It's much better than it was. Not great, but not 20+ seconds bad most of the time either. I'm going to pin the blame on CrashPlan in concert with the Dropbox folder, as removing CrashPlan from backing up the 1Password data folder seems to have improved things quite a bit (still backing up the daily backups folder with CrashPlan, which should be plenty). Just posting in case it helps anyone else. It would be less of an issue in general if there were a hotkey for copying the TOTP codes to the clipboard (if it takes too long in Windows to navigate in the app, I have pulled out my iPhone and gotten the code faster before!). Going back to waiting for updated Windows client release :-)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @dszp,

Interesting and it does make sense when you're considering there's 1Password, Dropbox, and CrashPlan all monitoring for events in that folder at the same time.

This discussion has been closed.