macair won't sync with iPhone 5s or new iMac, but 5s and iMac will sync with macair. Need help.

Options
carolbobbose
carolbobbose
Community Member

Previously had MacMini, macair, and iPhone 5s syncing properly. Replaced MacMini with iMac. Now iMac can sync with the 5s, the iMac, and the MacAir. But the MacAir won't sync with either the 5s or the iMac. I've tried everything I could dig up and everything I know, but I cannot fix it. I could use some help.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 5.5.5
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4, IOS 9.3.1
Sync Type: wi-fi
Referrer: forum-search:macair won't sync with iPhone 5s or new iMac, but 5s and iMac will sync with macair. Need help.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @carolbobbose ,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble keeping everything synced up. Now, you mention using Wi-Fi sync. I’m not quite sure how everything was working before, but Wi-Fi sync is designed specifically to keep your iOS devices synced up with one computer. If you have multiple computers in the mix, then we’ll need to find an alternative solution for you.

It is possible to use Folder Sync to keep your desktops synced up and then use Wi-Fi to keep your iPhone synced up with one of the computers, but Folder Sync can be a bit tricky to set up.

Have you considered using Dropbox or iCloud?

• carolbobbose
    carolbobbose
    Community Member
    Options

I was previously using wi-fi sync for my iPhone 5s to my wife's macair as it had a faster wi-fi than my Mac mini.
    My new iMac does have the faster wit-fi. But I am syncing using the "Folder method" between my new iMac and my wife's macair. I disconnected my 5s with my wife's and reconnected it to my iMac, which is working fine. With the folder method, I assign the link to my iMac 1password SYNC folder, the same way we SYNCed my wife's macair to my old Mac mini. Now when I update 1password the update is synced with the macair, but the macair will not send and update to my iMac.

I prefer not to use the cloud. I think soon hackers will find a way to get into the cloud and then absolutely nothing will be safe.

The other alternative you mentioned was drop box. I'm not sure how that works, but I believe it also uses the cloud.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @carolbobbose,

With the folder method, I assign the link to my iMac 1password SYNC folder, the same way we SYNCed my wife's macair to my old Mac mini. Now when I update 1password the update is synced with the macair, but the macair will not send and update to my iMac.

Could you provide a bit more detail on how you are sharing this file with Folder sync? Are you using a third-party solution or a home network to share that file between your computers? When you set up Folder sync, 1Password will keep a copy of your 1Password data updated in a specific folder that you choose on your computer. Then, it’s up to you to choose a way to move that data to your other computers.

I prefer not to use the cloud. I think soon hackers will find a way to get into the cloud and then absolutely nothing will be safe.

One of the benefits of 1Password is that you get to choose how your data is synced, and we do our best to offer cloud-free solutions for those who would prefer to keep their data local. That being said, we are very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud.

Your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through our Knowledgebase article on Cloud Security.

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

The other alternative you mentioned was drop box. I'm not sure how that works, but I believe it also uses the cloud.

Dropbox is a cloud-based solution. It’s a solution that many of us on the team here at AgileBits trust for our data. Of course, as I mentioned above, we can certainly work with you to set up a cloud-free solution if you would prefer.

This discussion has been closed.