1password should be able to detect original app on boot drive

Options
DrScott
DrScott
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

I keep getting a duplicate copy error when I update 1password. The additional copy is on my backup drive, which must remain connected so my drive is automatically backed up on a regular schedule. Shouldn't 1password be able to detect if it is attempting to launch on my boot drive versus a secondary drive? The would eliminate this annoying error.

1Password Version: 6.3 beta
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5 beta
_Sync Type:
Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:multiple copis, kb-search:multiple copies, kb:remove-multiple-apps

Comments

• DrScott
    DrScott
    Community Member
    Options

(Added information about 1password and OS X version)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DrScott,

I'm sorry for any confusion about that message you're seeing during the update!

We started showing that warning message in 1Password 6 for Mac because some people run into a problem trying to open the 1Password app if OS X (launchd) finds another copy of it somewhere (including on backup drives). Basically, we trigger an event that causes launchd to open 1Password mini, and launchd opens the wrong one, even if we try to specify the right one. This is something that must be fixed by Apple on the OS level, so it's something we can't control, except to warn users in advance that they should have only 1 copy of the 1Password app to make sure they don't run into the problem.

However, the problem is a bit random, so some customers don't experience it at all. That's why we included the Update Anyway button. If you don't normally have a problem launching 1Password, you can simply click that button to continue installing the update.

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that, or if you run into other problems. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.