1Password Slow to Unlock

stevejw
stevejw
Community Member

Hello,

1Password is quite slow to unlock. It takes between 6-10 seconds to unlock... I used to be much faster. Problem observed on both the OS X app and the browser extension.

Any hints on how to solve this?

My details:
(+) Using 1Password 6.0.2 (602004) on OS X
(+) MBP
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Memory: 16 GB
SSD: 1 TB

Regards,
Steve Williams

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Roro
    Roro
    Community Member

I'm having the exact same issue. It started with the last software update from the Apple App Store. I'm running 1Password Version 6.0.2 (602005) Mac App Store. The unlock issue is with the plug-in as well as the app in general. Sometimes during the unlock I get the spinning wheel. I'm seeing it on my iMac and MBAir.

• Roro
    Roro
    Community Member

I have the same issue. Running the following: 1Password Version 6.0.2 (602005) Mac App Store. I get the spinning wheel most of the time during the unlock.

• sdjl
    sdjl
    Community Member

I also have the same issue. Takes around 5-10seconds to unlock.
    1Password Version 6.0.2 (6020005) Mac App Store.

Have tried reinstalling browser extension to no avail.

Running a MacBook Pro on 10.11.3 - MacBookPro5,5.
    2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD

David

• sjf
    sjf
    Community Member

I also have noticed that it takes much longer than it used to to open. It used to open immediately after entering the password, but no more.

• You're not alone. We're chasing this issue down. I just had it happen to my machine this morning and we got more information about the issue and I'm hopefully that we'll figure out what's going on here. It's bug OPM-3829 in our bugtracker.

Rick

ref: OPM-3829

• immersiontravis
    immersiontravis
    Community Member

I'm using 1Password 6 and 1Password Mini under MacOS, with 1Password for Teams.

Most of the time (but not always), when either of the following things happens, 1Password freezes up and shows the spinning beachball, for anywhere from several seconds to a couple of minutes:

• when the browser extension detects that I've just logged into a site, and displays the popup prompting me to save it in my vault

• when I enter my master password to reauthenticate after a period of inactivity

Is anyone else experiencing this? It's a significant problem with an otherwise excellent product.

1Password Version: 6.0.2
    Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
    OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
    Sync Type: n/a

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016

Hi @immersiontravis,

I'm sorry you're running into this problem! It's a known issue, and I've merged your post with another thread about the same thing. As you can see in Rick's post above, our developers are working on this (although I don't know when it will be fixed).

For now, you can try rebooting your Mac, or simply restarting 1Password mini to see if it helps (from the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini).

I apologize again for the trouble! Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're always glad to help! :)

ref: OPM-3829

• sfcuser
    sfcuser
    Community Member

I'm also having this problem. I deleted the chrome extension and re-installed, and that fixed it for awhile, but it's started again. This is a serious bug and I can imagine there are many users googling other password manager tools. I hope the developers are mindful of what a serious and unacceptable bug this is, and are focusing all resources to fix it, as I first noticed with this bug over a month ago.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jordazzle,

I'm sorry you're also experiencing a problem with a delay when unlocking 1Password from the extension/mini! As we've mentioned previously, our developers are working on this - it's definitely a top priority, and my understanding is that it's a rather tricky one to track down and solve. I apologize for the inconvenience!

Now, assuming we're talking about the same problem, you shouldn't need to uninstall/reinstall the 1Password extension in your browser. As I mentioned in a previous reply above, you can try simply restarting 1Password mini to see if it helps: From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. If that helps, it's likely temporary, but should be a much easier workaround while our developers are working on this.

If for some reason restarting mini doesn't help at all, it will be helpful if you can fill us in on a few more details about your setup and the problem you're running into:

• What version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • What version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • Are you using iCloud or Dropbox sync in 1Password? If so, which one?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in your browser? (Also, what web browser are you using, and what version?)
    • If you reboot your Mac, do you still have the same problem, or does it seem to work better?
    • What exact steps do you take to reproduce the problem, and what exactly happens?

Thanks! :)

• ElOperador
    ElOperador
    Community Member

I have this same annoying problem; takes 5-6 seconds to unlock 1Password mini. Looks like restarting 1Password mini per the instructions above is a valid workaround.

Still, I'd like to add my +1 for fixing this issue. Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @ElOperador,

Oh yes, it's definitely on the to-do list to fix, we don't see this current workaround as satisfactory at all!

• patrickmkane
    patrickmkane
    Community Member

Hi AgileBitters!

Just another vote for fixing this issue as soon as you can figure it out! It's definitely an annoying one, even though the workaround works for me.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@patrickmkane,

What I'd like to have you do is install the 1Password for Mac beta which may itself resolve things for you.

Using 1Password betas

If that doesn't resolve things, the beta has some additional logging which will help us. Create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac like this:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• patrickmkane
    patrickmkane
    Community Member

Hey Khad, thanks, I'll give the beta version a try.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! And if you encounter any issues, diagnostic information would be greatly appreciated. :)

• matts
    matts
    Community Member

I've experienced the same issue with 1Password 6.2.1 (621001) and restarting 1Password Mini seems to have helped—what was a 5-10 second wait after unlocking is now instantaneous navigating/password-filling again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @matts,

I'm glad restarting 1Password mini helped! That's a temporary workaround as the problem might return after several days or so, but our developers have squashed this bug in a beta version. You can find more information in this announcement: Experiencing slow unlock issues with 1Password 6? Please read this.

If you don't want to switch to the beta, you can continue to use the workaround of restarting 1Password mini for now, and hopefully it won't be too long before the fix is included in a stable update.

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know! :)

• matts
    matts
    Community Member

Thanks for clarifying, @Drew_AG. I'm happy restarting 1Password mini for now, and it's good to know I can switch to the beta if little restarts won't be enough to get me to the next app store release. Cheers!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• linkwoman
    linkwoman
    Community Member

Thank you, @Drew_AG! It's so much faster now that I restarted 1Password mini! :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad that helped! We're here if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.