1Password for Teams - Guest Access with Standard/Pro subscriptions

Options

OK, I'll be honest upfront - my small company can't afford to pay a monthly subscription for all our users that we've been using 1Password for Teams for on-boarding new passwords for servers. This is especially the case given the limited support on the Windows platform with regards to no Windows 8 app, and no browser extensions. (yes I know it's coming, but that's been the stance now for nearly 6 months).

As such we are really only using 1Password for Teams for the following scenarios:

• Small team of 3 sys admins using private vaults for secure information sharing within the Sys Admin Team
  • Much larger team where I set up an individual vault for each usersand provide an initial password for server access (i.e. onboarding) - because of the limited functionality in this regard, the users simply access the vault, use the password once, change it and from then on have no use for 1Password for Teams until a new password is required for another server, or maybe a reset password. I would love for them to use 1Password in the way that I do (non-teams version with extensions) but that's not possible and we don't use Macs.

Based on the above scenario, I can justify paying the monthly user amount for the 3 sys admins and then presumably use guest accounts for simply onboarding and sharing initial passwords.

So is guest access a pro only feature? If so, what's the max number of guests and are these just concurrent guests - i.e. as long as I'm not onboarding more than X users at a time, I can then remove their guest account and create a new one. If not, then what's the max number for the standard subscription?

Regards,
Adam

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@happyadam73: Great questions! I'm sorry that we don't have a Windows 7/8 solution for you yet, but we're working feverishly to get it ready. Thanks for your patience!

So is guest access a pro only feature? If so, what's the max number of guests and are these just concurrent guests - i.e. as long as I'm not onboarding more than X users at a time, I can then remove their guest account and create a new one. If not, then what's the max number for the standard subscription?

Guests are a great option in a lot of cases. In particular, a Guest has no personal vault, does not belong to the Everyone vault and is only allowed to share a single vault. There isn't a maximum number of guests, so you can pay for more if needed.

With a Standard plan, you get 5 included. And with Pro, you get 20. But of course if you've already locked in the Pro plan, you'll get it for the same price as Standard for the life of your subscription, regardless of any members you might need to add or subtract.

Finally, based on your subscription, you can always suspend/delete members/guests to free up a "seat" for others as needed. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• dutchster
    dutchster
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, can you explain what you get about Standard, you get 5 included and Pro you get 20?

Is it that, using Standard as an example, you start at $5/mth and that includes the first 5 and then you pay $5/user for every new user you add?

Or is it that you have to buy 5 user licenses as a min using Standard for if you have a team of 3 you still have to pay for 5 users/mth ($25/mth)?

• dutchster
    dutchster
    Community Member
    Options

Never mind. I see now after rereading you were saying that Standard comes with 5 guest accounts and pro you get 20 guest accounts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

@dutchster: Ah yes. I'm sorry for not being clearer!

Indeed, with a 1Password Teams Standard plan, you get 5 guests included (along with however many members you're paying for); similarly, a 1Password Teams Pro plan, includes 20 guests. In either case, additional members are charged according to your plan, and additional guests (beyond those included in the plan) are the same price as team members.

Cheers! :)

• Unicade_Music
    Unicade_Music
    Community Member
    Options

You guys just might want to add that info on the billing page. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Unicade_Music: I was just thinking the same thing. ;)

ref: b5-1609

• Unicade_Music
    Unicade_Music
    Community Member
    Options

Apart from the fact that I´m getting Mr. Earl to assist me, that basically just sold the Pro Plan to me. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We'd have it no otter way! :love:

• Unicade_Music
    Unicade_Music
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hey guys,

do you want to perhaps write a blog post (or something) about billing? There are five respective threads currently on the first page of the team forum, not to mention the ones that are in other threads. And it´s hard to find the correct one, when the info I´m looking for is in one and not the other ...

Cheers,
    Lorenz

PS: I know it´s Pentecost ...

PPS: @brenty: Billing hasn´t been updated. Just a reminder.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

do you want to perhaps write a blog post (or something) about billing? There are five respective threads currently on the first page of the team forum, not to mention the ones that are in other threads. And it´s hard to find the correct one, when the info I´m looking for is in one and not the other ...

@Unicade_Music: I'm not sure that a blog post or merging all billing-related discussion is a great idea. Ultimately while many people have billing questions, there's enough diversity that a one-size-fits-all answer doesn't look like it would be effective. 1Password Families/Teams is flexible enough that a different people will have different uses for it, and billing is part of that too.

PPS: @brenty: Billing hasn´t been updated. Just a reminder.

We continue to improve the web interface, but the billing description changes you've suggested probably aren't something that can happen overnight. I wrote something up based on your feedback and we'll continue to discuss that and other improvements, but we want to make sure that we don't clutter things up too much and cause even more confusion. Cheers! :)

• Unicade_Music
    Unicade_Music
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

It´s obviously more complicated and a one-for-all solution is not available (it so rarely is), but certain things like pro-rated billing, the number of guest users or the cost of extra guests is not addressed anywhere. Correct me if I´m wrong.

Thanks for the discussion. :)

• Jacob
    Options

@Unicade_Music I expect the 1Password Teams FAQ in our knowledge base will answer most of your questions. We're working on an article about guests too, don't worry. :)

• Unicade_Music
    Unicade_Music
    Community Member
    Options

Most. ;)

Yes, since we´re going to be mostly using guests, I guess it´s why I´m raising the issue again. ;)

• Jacob
    Options

@Unicade_Music Well, so long as you aren't using them as a replacement for regular members. :glasses:

• Unicade_Music
    Unicade_Music
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Í´ll be writing you guys later. Check the other thread.

• Jacob
    Options

:+1: Talk to you soon.

This discussion has been closed.