import .txt files [from Password Safe]

Options
jolindbarg
jolindbarg
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

Hi! How to import a .txt file with passwords from PWSafe?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:import txt, kb:import, kb-search:txt files, kb-search:.txt, kb:import

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @jolindbarg ,

PWSafe (Password Safe) exports can be converted using the passwordsafe converter in the converter suite. It is in the 1.09 version in Testing Bits mentioned in the first post. Read the first post directions, and the quick instructions in the README.pdf file in the zip package, and you'll be on your way to converting and importing into 1Password.

• jolindbarg
    jolindbarg
    Community Member
    Options

Hi and thank´s for your answer. Found the converter but as I am on OS X importing from PWSafe does´t seem to be an option.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@jolindbarg ,

Which exact version and name of password safe are you using? A link to the download site will help.

• jolindbarg
    jolindbarg
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC,
    Running pwSafe for Mac version 4.9 (4900). Downloaded from Mac App Store. Export results in .txt file.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Options

@jolindbarg ,

Thanks for the info.

It is likely the XML export from the OS X version is exactly the same as the Windows XML export. Export your data as XML (you can follow the instructions in the README.pdf included in the converters), and examine the first few lines of the XML in a text editor such as TextEdit. They should look like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="pwsafe.xsl"?>

<passwordsafe
    delimiter="»"
    Database="C:\Users\MrC\Desktop\pwsafe\pwsafe.psafe3"
    ExportTimeStamp="2016-01-23T12:39:29"
    FromDatabaseFormat="3.13"

If you are not sure, go ahead and copy those lines and paste them in a reply here.

If they are basically the same, go ahead and try the passwordsafe converter. Remember to use the 1.09 version in Testing Bits.

• jolindbarg
    jolindbarg
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC,
    thanks agin for info, and for your patience, but I think this beats me... Exporting from pwSafe only results in a txt file with passwords and info. Don´t see any option to choose other formats for export as xml. The steps described in read me isn´t there at all. Guess that it´s here things mess up... Dragging the txt file to the AppleScript_Conversion_Helper version 1.09 brings available converters up but there is no converter for passwordsafe. Tried the converter for PasswordWallet and imported that. It works but demands so much editing for every entry so its better to manually enter them one by one :) I think I just run both applications side by side for a while and add entries step by step in 1Password... until all 300+ entries are there... in a couple of years ;)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Options

@jolinbarg,

When you examine the exported text file, does it contain the XML mentioned above? Or is it in some other format such as CSV?

The AppleScript Converter Helper has not been updated to include the password safe name, since there isn't a single definitive Password Safe (pwsafe) native app for OS X. There are various versions available, and I haven't paid for each one to test.

The PasswordWallet converter would not be appropriate for Password Safe. All password managers export in their own unique way.

• jolindbarg
    jolindbarg
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC,
    exported file from pwSafe are just text, no XML or CSV formatting:

Group/Title Username Password URL Created Time Password Modified Time Record Modified Time Password Policy Password Policy Name History e-mail Symbols Notes
    Inloggningar.Hushåll - Shopping.Skånetrafiken xxxx@xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx www.skanetrafiken.se 2014/10/24 08:33:31 2014/10/24 08:33:31 00000 ""
    Inloggningar.Multimedia.Sony Entertainment Network xxxx@xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx 2012/01/25 21:59:02 2015/09/30 21:32:24 00000 ""
    ""

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@jolinbarg,

If the export is just text, you're out of luck, as there is nothing to delineate fields.

A possible option is to use one of the other Password Safe/PWSafe OS X apps that read the same database, and see if one of those exports XML.

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @jolindbarg

It looks like spaces in your pasted sample, but according to other accounts I've read elsewhere, it exports into a tab-delimited text. Try importing that into excel and see if the data is neatly in columns. If so, then export as CSV and try again.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• jolindbarg
    jolindbarg
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_kevin
    Thank you. Yes, it works with import to excel in the sense that the information from the exported text file is divided into columns. So far so good. Unfortunately 1Password doesn't want to import the created csv. But, copy the info from the excel sheet and paste the entries manually one by one into 1Password works quite well and seems like the best solution for me right now. It will take some time but by doing that I can also clean up and trash unused password and entries at the same time... ;)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Options

@jolindbarg ,

OK, so there are field separators then, of Tab. That's great. I could modify the existing converter to accommodate that, if you're interested.

To get 1Password to import your CSV into Login records, you need to be sure to place the columns in the order prescribed by the document How to create a 1Password compatible CSV file. Place all the extra columns after the Notes columns. Export in Excel as CSV.

Alternatively, you can use the csv converter in the converter suite, and leave the columns in any order you want. You just need a header row with the label names prescribed in the README. If you change this line of the Converters/Csv.pm file:

sep_char => ',',

to

sep_char => "\t",

then you can import the Password Safe file without changing the Tabs to Commas. You still need the header row.

• jolindbarg
    jolindbarg
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC, @ag_kevin

Thank you so much! :) Success! After a couple of trial and errors and fixing in text editor I finally succeeded in importing as CSV using the converter. A couple of minor adjustments on a couple of entries but that is nothing compared to copy/paste every entry one by one :) Now I can uninstall my other PW managers :)

Best regards,
    Johan

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@jolindbarg ,

That's great news, and thanks for the follow-up. Enjoy 1Password!

Now that I know that the/a Mac version of Password Safe uses TSV, I can update the converter for future users.

This discussion has been closed.