Sync options between 1Password versions 4 and 6

JayNitschke
JayNitschke
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

I'm running 10.11 El Cap with 1Password v6 on my laptop and 10.9.5 with 1Password v4 on my desktop.

Given that v6 doesn't run on my 10.9.5 machine, is there any way for me to sync? When one updates a Mac to version 10.11 it is hard to run the Adobe Suite which I paid for, but on 10.11 Adobe is trying to force the subscription model (cost prohibitive for software I run maybe once a month). So I'd like to run 10.9 on my desktop for the foreseeable future. I realize that is not your problem, but tying 1Password upgrades to OS version leads to problems like this for consumers -- I hope you realize this! Apple's constant upgrade schemes, even though they are "free" are not always as "free" as they appear to be.

This is another question, but why does 1Password v4 give me the explicit path of my vault, but v6 does not? This is very frustrating! It seems like v6 is actually less user friendly in this regard than v4. Why did you make that change? I can't even tell for sure I'm saving the vault on Dropbox (which if not the case is scary because what if my hard drive fails?)

1Password Version: 6.2.1, 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:sync isn't working, kb:dropbox-troubleshooting

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JayNitschke,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this!

1Password 4 and 6 for Mac can sync with each other via Dropbox sync. We have steps to set that up here: Sync with Dropbox

Those steps are for version 6, but setting up Dropbox sync in version 4 is very similar. If you have any trouble with that, just let us know.

...why does 1Password v4 give me the explicit path of my vault, but v6 does not?

Are you referring to the path of the sync file in Dropbox? That's definitely shown in version 6, and should look something like this screenshot from the steps to set up Dropbox sync (in my above link):

Once you set up Dropbox sync, you should see a similar file path in the sync settings of 1Password 6.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Thanks! :)

• JayNitschke
    JayNitschke
    Community Member

Ah perfect! I understand now what happened -- my laptop lost the Dropbox folder when I reorganized, and when I went to sync with Dropbox I was scared by the warning window, but it is all good now. Thank you!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! I'm glad that helped you get things straightened out with Dropbox sync. If you run into more problems or need anything else, please let us know. We're always happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.