OPVault local storage

AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Is OpVault support in Android missing?.

Comments

• varunyellina
    varunyellina
    Community Member

I've been using OPVault on android via Wi-Fi sync. I'm not a dropbox user, and don't want to use it just for 1P. However, I do use BitTorrent Sync for my data. When will 1P for Android start working with .opvault from local folders?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@varunyellina: Unfortunately I don't have a time frame for you, but we hope to add local storage support for OPVault in a future update. Thanks for letting us know you'd appreciate that feature, and why! :)

• bl4ke
    bl4ke
    Community Member

Not using Dropbox (and don't want to), but use OPvault format with Windows. Need OPVault support with local storage on Android too to avoid Wi-Fi sync (need to install Bonjour from Apple only for this purpose...). +1 !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the vote! I can't offer a time frame, but local folder sync is something we're keen to add. Just to clarify, would you be transferring the vault manually then?

• bl4ke
    bl4ke
    Community Member

I use Cloudstation from Synology to keep my vault synced on my Android device. Sync with agilekeychain format in local storage mode was working fine but local storage with OPVault did not...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, thanks for clarifying! :)

• wolframso
    wolframso
    Community Member

I would like to add to this. I've also been using 1pw successfully with alternative ways of syncing (currently Syncthing) but since .opvault this doesn't work anymore.
    Whats keeping you from making this reality? What alternative way of saving my data is the Android client using and isn't it obnoxious for you to have to maintain different ways of managing it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wolframso: 1Password's data is just files in a folder, but for some reason not all sync solutions handle that well. So it's difficult to develop, test, and support 3rd party sync solutions. Not all are a good fit in the first place, and we already support a few. If we're to add others in the future, it will need to be when we have the resources to dedicate to doing that. It isn't much use to anybody otherwise.

• conradj
    conradj
    Community Member

Am also waiting for this, as I'm trying to keep my vault out of the cloud, and the wifi syncing is a bit clunky.

• Thanks for the bump, @conradj. I'll let the team know! :)

• apmaio
    apmaio
    Community Member

Same as others, I use Synology cloud station to sync across mac, iOS, android, ... Have been trying 1password but stopped when found that opvault is not supported with local sync in Android. Exposing metadata with agile keychain is not an option. When will you have support for opvault and local sync? Also tags in Android are important. I would buy into 1password because of the nicer UI and ease of use.

• Hi @apmaio. Thanks for jumping in here an adding your vote for OPVault support for local storage sync, and for tags as well. We are hoping to add both of these features soon. :)

• diskoteer
    diskoteer
    Community Member

+1 for OPVault support for local storage sync.
    Want to sync my data using Synology cloud station, therefore I'm awaiting the implementation of OPVault for local folders on Android.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know that OPVault folder sync would be a good fit for your workflow!

• eraser1320
    eraser1320
    Community Member

+1 OPVault folder sync.

I have to say, I'm a little irritated this doesn't work yet. But I understand I guess that your target market is not the people who would use the feature. I just hope it's actually on your road map!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@eraser1320: I understand completely. Indeed, I think that's a fair observation, not so much that we don't care about all 1Password users, but that we do try to focus on things that will do the most good for the greatest number of people. OPVault/Folder Sync may not be something everyone depends on, but it is definitely on the roadmap. Thanks for letting us know how important this is to you! :)

ref: OPA-931

• apmaio
    apmaio
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Hi again... is opvault supported in 1password for ios using folder sync? Thanks for your feedback.

• apmaio
    apmaio
    Community Member

Please disregard my previous question about iOS and folder sync. I have confirmed that there is no folder sync in iOS 1password.

• apmaio
    apmaio
    Community Member

Dear agilebits, this is a replica of a comment I made in the iOS topic, because it seems relevant for both communities.

It looks like your strategy is fully geared to bring users onto your own cloud platform, I can understand that.
    However, it would be good to have an option for those of us who prefer to use "personal cloud" solutions (i.e. self-owned file syncing solutions across devices). I suspect many people will use these as more accessible "personal cloud" storage devices like those from WD become available.
    1password iOS needs a folder sync option.
    1password Android needs an updated folder sync feature using the opvault format.
    I wish that in line with your support for privacy, support for "personal cloud" solutions would find a place in your strategy too.
    Have a great 2017!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

However, it would be good to have an option for those of us who prefer to use "personal cloud" solutions (i.e. self-owned file syncing solutions across devices). I suspect many people will use these as more accessible "personal cloud" storage devices like those from WD become available.

I think you may be right, but the problem is "which one?" The answer for you will not be the same as what someone else wants, etc.

1password iOS needs a folder sync option.

Just to clarify for you or anyone else who might be curious, iOS apps cannot access the filesystem, so it isn't even possible for 1Password for iOS to sync with an arbitrary folder.

1password Android needs an updated folder sync feature using the opvault format.

Agreed. It's something we'd like to add in a future update.

I wish that in line with your support for privacy, support for "personal cloud" solutions would find a place in your strategy too. Have a great 2017!

You too! Hopefully your new year is off to a great start already, and we've got a lot in store for 1Password in 2017 as well. :chuffed:

• bl4ke
    bl4ke
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

This topic was created a year ago. Still waiting for OPVault folder sync feature too ... Any news ?

• saad
    edited January 2017

@bl4ke Thanks for sharing your continued interest in OPVault support for local storage sync. This feature is not in our immediate development plans, but we will continue to keep our team informed of these requests.

I apologize this is affecting your current workflow. :( Let us know if you have any questions.

• kirgy
    kirgy
    Community Member

Is there really no way to do an OPVault folder sync on Android? Is there some kind of workaround for the time being? I'm current doing a very long winded VPN connection to a VNC server on my mobile.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kirgy: That does sound a bit...windy. :lol:

There isn't any simple way around it, as 1Password for Android and its folder sync feature predate OPVault, so there's simply no logic there to handle it. It supports AgileKeychain fully since that's been around much longer, and that's really the only workaround right now. Adding support for OPVault to the folder sync feature is very much something we'd like to add, but unfortunately it needs to take a backseat to improvements that will benefit more users. The vast majority of 1Password users aren't interested in folder sync in the first place, but we haven't forgotten you and the rest of the folks who would really appreciate this feature!

• kirgy
    kirgy
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty . Is there any documentation about the AgileKeychain method you describe? It's not ideal, but I think that'll work for my situation.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kirgy: There really isn't any way to migrate the data on a mobile device, but if you'll let me know if you're using a Mac or PC I'll be happy to walk you through the process. :)

• kirgy
    kirgy
    Community Member

@brenty I'm on a mac as my main work device. At the moment I sync my vault to my company's server as a secure backup measure. If there is a way to achieve a sync to android too, I'd love to know the process.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kirgy: Great! In 1Password for Mac, go to Help > Tools > Enable OPVault and uncheck it. You can then setup Folder Sync and use whichever tool you prefer to sync the .agilekeychain with 1Password for Android and the server. I hope this helps! :)

• kirgy
    kirgy
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty, I'll give that a go! :)

• Great! Let us know how it goes!

This discussion has been closed.