How to Sync 1Password on Mac to my iPad

Okay, I have been a happy user of 1Password for many months now, and when I got my iPad and then received email from Agile Solutions, about an App for the iPad, I was tempted. Then I read a few reviews which indicated it was Buggy so I decided to wait a few days before purchasing, which I did today.

I've read the instructions, turned my WiFi ON in the iPad, Launched 1Password on my Mac, and spent twenty minutes searching all over, HELP, etc., looking for the SYNC tab "in the left column." But it is nowhere to be found.

WHere do I enter my secret codes which read something like bab-un-fool & jed-canph-a (but not really these letters).

What gives? Using 1Password3, Mac OS 10.6.3, and Safari.

Help!!!!!

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums. Sorry about the trouble you're having. Here is our iPad sync guide:
    http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/sync_to_ipad.html

Make sure you're running 1Password for Mac version 3.1, at least. The Sync group appears in 1Password's sidebar when both the Mac and iPad versions are running. If the iPad's presence is not detected, you can check for some interference in the communication, such as a firewall or Little Snitch or VirusBarrier.
  • duve
    edited December 1969
    Start 1Password on your Mac. Then start it on your iPad. Your iPad should show up in the left column on your Mac. Click on iPad graphic and you should see a sync option on your Mac. You may be asked to add some codes from your iPad to the Mac the first time you sync.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    This works consistently for me:

1. In 1Password on your iPad, disable Wi-Fi Sync.

2. In 1Password on your Mac, Control-click your iPad's name under SYNC in the left pane,
    and choose Delete; then confirm your selection to delete the iPad.

3. In 1Password on your iPad, re-enable Wi-Fi Sync.

4. Quit and relaunch 1Password on your Mac. Almost immediately, a window should appear,
    ready to accept the secret codes.

5. In that Wi-Fi Sync Authentication window on your Mac, enter the secret codes, and
    click the Authenticate button.

Note that your iPad's sync page (in 1Password on your Mac) may not always refresh automatically. Just select another page, then come back to your iPad's sync page, and the "status" and "last sync" fields should be up to date. (We're working on that problem; sorry for the inconvenience.)

That page also uses the term "iPhone" in a few places as a kind of shorthand for "iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch"; the Device Type field should show the correct value, though. Sorry for the confusion.

Let us know if any of these suggestions work for you, Coco Pazzo.
  • Coco Pazzo
    edited December 1969
    OKay, I've wrestled with this for way too long. Still no sign of my iPad or even SYNC in the left hand column, even though I am using Version 3.1.1 (build 30625). All I see are Vault, Folders, Tags, _______, Trash. No SYNC between tags and trash!

The only way SYNC will appear is if I first go to Help (on the Mac) and then from the pulldown menu there is Sync using IP Address. I follow those instructions for the purposes of inputting the IP Address (of the iPad) and its port.

Switch on iPad 1Password, then Settings , then click SYNC , switch on Wi-Fi sync. Back to Mac, hey, look, there is the IP Address under SYNC-- which magically appeared. Double click that address, and a 1Password screen appears (still on the Mac), headed by the IP Address on left and a very blank image of an iPod on the right. Below these items

Device Type Unknown
    Last Synched Never
    Status Not authorized (allow new connections in settings> Wi-Fi Sync)

this is followed by a form that is a half tone and cannot be accessed (probably where the secret codes would be entered, if I could), but below that on the right IS a functional icon button SYNC NOW. When I click on this, to the right of the IP Address in the SYNC area (left hand column, Mac) a spinning pair of arrows would seem to indicate that something is happening.

But what? There is no sign of the belovedly familiar 1P icon when I open Safari in my iPad. If it were just me using my Mac, and the 1P icon wasn't there, I've learned that you can restart 1P and it usually reappears. No such simple fix found so far.

So once again, any idea?

Oh, and as I type this, the iPad is about two feet from the Mac, and both machines indicate a strong communication signal with the maximum number of bars each.

But still no 1P on my iPad.
  • CarmenC
    edited December 1969
    Same problem here. The sync is greyed out on the mac program.
    Please help.
  • CarmenC
    edited December 1969
    DBrown wrote:

2. In 1Password on your Mac, Control-click your iPad's name under SYNC in the left pane,

4. Quit and relaunch 1Password on your Mac. Almost immediately, a window should appear,

5. In that Wi-Fi Sync Authentication window on your Mac, enter the secret codes, and

Note that your iPad's sync page (in 1Password on your Mac) may not always refresh automatically. Just select another page, then come back to your iPad's sync page, and the "status" and "last sync" fields should be up to date. (We're working on that problem; sorry for the inconvenience.)

That page also uses the term "iPhone" in a few places as a kind of shorthand for "iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch"; the Device Type field should show the correct value, though. Sorry for the confusion.

I cant see the ipad icon. Sync is greyed out. My touch wont sync now either.
    I upgraded to a program that disabled 1 password alltogether. please help!
    Thanx,
    Carmen
  • CarmenC
    edited December 1969
    CarmenC wrote:
    I cant see the ipad icon. Sync is greyed out. My touch wont sync now either.
    I upgraded to a program that disabled 1 password alltogether. please help!
    Thanx,
    Carmen

when I try to sync, itsays on the ipad, authenticating Carmens imac.
    on the mac it says, wifi failed. restart 1password for mac.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, Carmen. Sorry you're having trouble. If restarting the applications doesn't resolve your issue, please see our detailed guide for troubleshooting network communication:
    http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?t=18906
  • filbert66
    filbert66
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    CarmenC wrote:
    Same problem here. The sync is greyed out on the mac program.
    Please help.

Don't know if this is your problem, but I had same prob (saw other iPhones but no iPad under Sync) and then found the iPad and Mac were on different wireless networks. I have an Airport Extreme with a "guest" network and a "home" network. Turns out the iPad was on the guest one and I had to move it.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    filbert66 wrote:
    Don't know if this is your problem, but I had same prob (saw other iPhones but no iPad under Sync) and then found the iPad and Mac were on different wireless networks. I have an Airport Extreme with a "guest" network and a "home" network. Turns out the iPad was on the guest one and I had to move it.

A very basic premise of our Wi-Fi syncing is that the device and Mac must be on the *same* Wi-Fi network, so that's a good catch. While you had to do a little more setup on your iPad the purpose of the two networks is to provide that level of security and traffic isolation. This proves it works! :)
  • jmalonzo
    jmalonzo
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    DBrown wrote:

Hi! I just bought 1password for mac and iPad, and I was able to sync them until the reset codes changed (by turning wifi sync off and then on again). Is there a way to tell 1password for Mac to reset the secret codes? I tried to go through the steps you mentioned above but it doesn't work - everytime I turn wifi sync off and then on, the iPad automatically gets detected and does sync automatically.

How do I tell 1password for mac to reset the codes/enter new codes? FYI - always get "Not Authorized (Allow New Connections in Wifi -> Sync)" but even then, I can't get to this "Allow new Connections" on the iPad!

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    jmalonzo wrote:
    Hi! I just bought 1password for mac and iPad, and I was able to sync them until the reset codes changed (by turning wifi sync off and then on again). Is there a way to tell 1password for Mac to reset the secret codes? I tried to go through the steps you mentioned above but it doesn't work - everytime I turn wifi sync off and then on, the iPad automatically gets detected and does sync automatically.

How do I tell 1password for mac to reset the codes/enter new codes? FYI - always get "Not Authorized (Allow New Connections in Wifi -> Sync)" but even then, I can't get to this "Allow new Connections" on the iPad!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums, jmalanzo!

You can tell 1Password on the Mac to re-authorize your iPad. Please select your mobile device's name in the SYNC section of the sidebar and control-click it and choose the Delete option. This will cause 1Password Mac to prompt for the secrets from your iPad the next time it is detected. Normally this sync authorization is a one-time operation.
  • scottbmaps
    edited December 1969
    I have been using 1Password Pro with my Mac and iPhone for a while, and love your product, it is one of my all-time favorites. However, when I installed it on my new iPad, I could NOT figure out where to enter these bloody secret codes! I think there may be one easy solution that may eliminate a majority of these troubleshooting issues.

When you start 1Password on the iPad for the first time, it gives you a choice between 'New Database' and 'Sync Existing'. When you click on Sync Existing, here are the instructions:

1. Open 1Password on your Mac
    2. Enter these secret codes:

Let me suggest you make these the instructions:

1. Make sure your iPad is on the same Wi-Fi network as your computer
    2. Open 1Password on your Mac
    3. Enter these secret codes:

While it may seem 'very basic' to you as mentioned above, remember most customers are not as familiar with your product as you.

Thanks! Keep up the great work.

Scott
  • waywest
    waywest
    Community Member
    edited July 2010
    MartyS wrote:

You can tell 1Password on the Mac to re-authorize your iPad. Please select your mobile device's name in the SYNC section of the sidebar and control-click it and choose the Delete option. This will cause 1Password Mac to prompt for the secrets from your iPad the next time it is detected. Normally this sync authorization is a one-time operation.

Hi Folks,
    This delete/re-authorize procedure simply is not working for me. I've tried it step-by-step 5 times and the wall I hit every time is the "Status Not Authorized (Allow New Connections in Settings..." listing in the Mac's 1Password right window when I select my iPad under the left column's SYNC list. They are on the same network: my home Wifi network. Clearly they see each other: Mac 1Password lists the name of my iPad. But just as clearly, the final connection step is blocked. No prompt window ever appears in which to enter the secret numbers from the iPad.
    WHERE do I change my Mac/iPad setup to allow this "new connection"?
    I've looked in the Mac's Preferences, I've looked in the iPad's 1Password app settings. What's the missing piece of this puzzle?
    I've been using 1Password almost from Day 1 on my Mac but this iPad issue is really, truly frustrating. I've combed through this forum and don't see this answer anywhere. It would be very helpful if you posted a forum topic simply named "How to Allow New Connection between Mac and iPad."
    TIA,
    waywest
  • arulkl
    arulkl
    Community Member
    waywest wrote:

Hi Folks,
    This delete/re-authorize procedure simply is not working for me. I've tried it step-by-step 5 times and the wall I hit every time is the "Status Not Authorized (Allow New Connections in Settings..." listing in the Mac's 1Password right window when I select my iPad under the left column's SYNC list. They are on the same network: my home Wifi network. Clearly they see each other: Mac 1Password lists the name of my iPad. But just as clearly, the final connection step is blocked. No prompt window ever appears in which to enter the secret numbers from the iPad.
    WHERE do I change my Mac/iPad setup to allow this "new connection"?
    I've looked in the Mac's Preferences, I've looked in the iPad's 1Password app settings. What's the missing piece of this puzzle?
    I've been using 1Password almost from Day 1 on my Mac but this iPad issue is really, truly frustrating. I've combed through this forum and don't see this answer anywhere. It would be very helpful if you posted a forum topic simply named "How to Allow New Connection between Mac and iPad."
    TIA,
    waywest

Hi
    I am not sure if you have already solved your problem, but for others who may come across this thread like i did when I too faced your problem - I think the problem where we got stuck is that we hit "Sync existing" immediately without setting up a new database. After trying the "Sync Existing" option and failing, I decided to go for the New Database route. Lo and behold, you then have the settings where you can select to sync to Mac or Dropbox (which is extremely useful i must say).
    Perhaps the intro screen on the iPad can be changed to be a little more friendly to the newbies/slightly technically challenged like me.

arul
  • I have tried all of these suggestions and it still won't sync. Mine was working when I first set it up and then it quit syncing. I have also reinstalled the ap 3 times--still nothing. My ipad shows up on my Mac, but I have nowhere to put in any secret codes. This is very frustrating.
  • Hello dclouse and welcome to the Forums!

I'm sorry your having this problem, and I want to resolve it for you.

In order to do so, let's start with basic information:

1. What versions of 1P are you using on your iPad and on your Mac?
    2. What version of OS X are you running?
    3. You should only need to put in the secret codes the first time you set up Wi-Fi syncing. You mentioned that you've reinstalled the app 3 times. Which app? iPad and/or Mac?

You mentioned that you've tried all the suggestions listed in this thread, but I want to be sure we're on the same page. For the sake of troubleshooting, please review the following help guide: Wi-Fi Sync Troubleshooting Guide

I realize that you may have already completed much, if not all, of the steps, but I need more specifics on what you have or have not done in order to help you.

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble syncing. Please update 1Password for Mac to the latest version as we have made some changes with regard to syncing. (1Password > Check for Updates…)

Once you have verified that you are running the latest version, let's continue.

Before I go too far, I just want to mention that we now offer a method of syncing that is fully automatic, does not require you to even be near your computer, and is our recommended method of securely syncing.

With Dropbox syncing, you can keep 1Password up to date from across town or across the country — anywhere you have an Internet connection. You Mac doesn't even have to be turned on!

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_syncing_with_dropbox.html

I would strongly advise going with Dropbox syncing. It is more robust and just as secure as Wi-Fi syncing. :-)

If you would prefer to stick with manually syncing via Wi-Fi, please read on.

On your Mac, if your iOS device is already listed in the sidebar under the SYNC section, please remove it by right-clicking on it and selecting "Delete…"

IMPORTANT: Because of the Bonjour networking service that Apple provides for Wi-Fi syncing, please restart your Mac and iOS device before proceeding further. You can restart your iOS device by holding down both the Sleep and Home buttons simultaneously for at least ten seconds until the Apple logo appears.

After restarting, please open Terminal (found in your /Applications/Utilities folder). Copy and paste this line into Terminal and press Return:

defaults write ws.agile.1Password ShowWiFiSyncAuthAutomatically -bool YES

Now, please open 1Password on your Mac and iOS device.

On your iOS device, go to Settings > Sync and turn WiFi Sync ON, then follow these steps:

1. Tap "Allow New Connections"
    2. 1Password on your iOS device will display two secret sync codes.
    You’ll need these in a minute.
    3. On your Mac you should be prompted to enter the codes automatically
    4. Click "OK" and begin configuring your sync options.
    5. Click "Sync" to perform a sync operation.

If you are still stuck, please take a look at our Wi-Fi Sync Troubleshooting Guide.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/sync_problems.html

Please let me know how it turns out, or if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!
  • Hello, I am new to forum and 1 Password. I am having a sync issue. BLUF I am not able to sync at all with any device iPad or iPhone.
    I had the iPad app 1st then the next day got the Mac app, 1Password 3. I installed the Mac program and saw a “sync” option under the file, but there is no sync Tab as shown on the web site or as described. Is the SW bad or should I delete and reinstall?
    Very confused as I cannot sync with Dropbox either. I get failed options when I try.
    Stupid question, should I be able to pass the information on my iPad to the MAC so I do not have to type all password info all over again. Same to the iPhone?
    MAC Pro, OSX 10.6.4(latest version as of last night) All update are up to date. Firefox 5.0 iPad 4.3.3 iPhone 4.3.3
    1Password 3 ver 3.60
    Thanks for any help
    John
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited June 2011
    John M wrote:

Hello, I am new to forum and 1 Password. I am having a sync issue. BLUF I am not able to sync at all with any device iPad or iPhone.
    I had the iPad app 1st then the next day got the Mac app, 1Password 3. I installed the Mac program and saw a “sync” option under the file, but there is no sync Tab as shown on the web site or as described. Is the SW bad or should I delete and reinstall?
    Very confused as I cannot sync with Dropbox either. I get failed options when I try.
    Stupid question, should I be able to pass the information on my iPad to the MAC so I do not have to type all password info all over again. Same to the iPhone?
    MAC Pro, OSX 10.6.4(latest version as of last night) All update are up to date. Firefox 5.0 iPad 4.3.3 iPhone 4.3.3
    1Password 3 ver 3.60
    Thanks for any help
    John

John lets start at the first thing, have you moved your 1Password.agilekeychain into the Dropbox folder, or a sub folder in the Dropbox folder, its your choice so long as you have it inside the Dropbox folder. Once we verify this step then we can proceed to the next step. getting the iOS devices to sync.

Mine is like this...... Dropbox / 1Password / 1Password.agilekeychain

Yours could be Dropbox / 1Password.agilkeychain

If you haven't already done so you can move the keychain into the dropbox folder by visiting the 1Password Preferences / General Tab / use the move to Dropbox button....This is on the Mac version of 1P, it does the leg work setting up the Dropbox sync and such so unfortunately we need to start here first.

Also see if this help topic ... well actually helps I / we would like to know your feedback on this as sometime those of us here forget the little details and a new set of eyes points out some of the omissions mistakes etc.

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/configure_dropbox_on_mac.html
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited June 2011
    thightower wrote:
    Once we verify this step then we can proceed to the next step. getting the iOS devices to sync.

Ok Now lets get the iOS devices to sync first off the iPhone which is the easiest, and most straight forward of the 2.

Once we have this done then we will shoot for the iPad, which is very similar but has a few differences.

The best tutorial I know of is here http://help.agile.ws...th_dropbox.html

Let us know if it benefits you or if you get stuck etc. I promise we have all been there before... it gets easier once you do it once. and your like AH HA, I got you now. :D
This discussion has been closed.