Banking Question

Iestyn
Iestyn
Community Member
edited June 2011 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I'm a new 1Password so you'll have to forgive me, but I've got two small questions for you guys today. First off, I've decided to add my internet banking login information to the 'login's section' of 1password, I'm guessing that has the same strong encryption as the wallet section?

My second problem is, I've run into a few issues. Basically when when you go to my banking website, you need to put the internet banking number in, which I've sorted, then on the next page, there are two bits of information I need to enter, my DOB and and a numeric password. I but when I get to the page with the two bits of information that I need to enter, it puts my numeric password into the DOB field too. I can't figure out how to use 3 bits of information on one login form, as I've added the three fields to the 'all fields' section, like this:

ib-1p.png

I've tried many different ways, for example putting the day, month and year in a separate field as you can see. I'm sorry if I've not explained it too well, please forgive me, I got up too early this morning ^_^

Kind Regards
Iestyn.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Welcome to the forums, Iestyn!

Those field names you have input are not normally supposed to be edited by hand. Every web page has specific field names which the web developers specify in the page's code. When you save logins in your browser (recommended) 1Password can "learn" these field names by looking at the page's source code. If you input them by hand like that the chances they will work are very small (especially since the field names cannot contain spaces). Have no fear. That's what you pay 1Password to do. :-)

First, you might want to look over our "How to create multi-page Logins" guide to get a rough overview of the process. Then you can save a different login for each page like this:

1. Enter your information on the page, but DO NOT submit the form.
    2. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and choose Save Login.
    3. Set the Action field to Create New Login (or to Replace <login-name>, to update an existing Login item).
    4. Click the Save button.
    5. Repeat for each page of the process, naming each login item something unique.

Fore example, if my bank has a front page where I input my username and then I need to input my password on the next page, I might save two login items in 1Password:

"Bank - Username"
    "Bank - Password"

It might help to think of each item as linked to a particular web page rather than a particular web site. The first login item will only work on the first page of the website's login process. The second login will only work on the second page. Since most sites normally only have one page for the login, it isn't usually this complicated. Some sites think they are making things more secure doing this. They're not. All they really end up doing is making your life more difficult. 1Password is no match for this, though. I'm sure we'll get this straightened out for you. :-)

If you are still having trouble, could you please provide the URL for the site? I would love to take a look. Perhaps it is one we already have a quick fix for.

Thanks!
  • Iestyn
    Iestyn
    Community Member
    Thanks for your reply mate :) This is the main issue, it's the DOB section, I know it's just simple to add it in myself, but I bought 1password so I may aswell see if it'll do it for me, yes I'm lazy haha.

ib-dob.png
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Try saving the login as I described above:

1. Enter your information on the page, but DO NOT submit the form.
    2. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and choose Save Login.
    3. Set the Action field to Create New Login (or to Replace <login-name>, to update an existing Login item).
    4. Click the Save button.

You might want to give it a name that clearly identifies it as the DOB/Security Number page ("Bank - DOB" or similar). Then when you come across that page in the login process you should be able to simply press ⌘\ on your keyboard or select the "Bank - DOB" login from the 1P toolbar button.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.