Feedback on the new 1Password desktop beta [Please create a separate thread for new feedback]

Options
MikeT
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows
This discussion was created from comments split from: Help us welcome 1Password 6 to our Windows family!.

Comments

• Sunshine
    Sunshine
    Community Member
    Options

I like the new version :)
    Congratulations on the successful launch.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

I like the new Version but will this be the windows version for Windows 7 that was in development for so long? And if not what happens to it :dizzy:

• Yes, this is the future of all Windows. The current stable app for Windows is based on rather more old technologies and is too expensive to continue to evolve. We decided to take the code we have made for Windows 10 app (universal) and enable it on Windows 7 (desktop) as well. There are many benefits for everyone in doing things this way.

Any change we do for desktop app automatically happens in universal app from Windows Store. That means Windows Phone Mobile or Windows 10 users, who prefer Store app with latest features in Windows, can have all the fixes and improvements we do for the people who prefer stable Windows desktop environment (Windows 7+). That also mean that we can put more effort in making browser extensions sooner and enabling edit in folder based vaults. These two features are most requested and expected.

We look forward to have one Windows app that targets wide variety of Windows versions and devices. We believe new desktop app will help us to get out from Beta to the stable release sooner :) And of course we rely on your help, to let us know what and where is going wrong.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe a huge redesign of the settings would be great :D And a Pin option? Or something along those lines, and maybe unlock on secure desktop if possible :dizzy: . Also I would like to See a redesign of the copy and paste buttons and a more visual feed back when clicking the copy button.

• @Bernfrin we've been, we are and we will always be honest. There were two teams, there was some great work done, but it turned to be a dead end for some reasons. We have learned from our mistakes, regrouped and working to get Windows app on par with highly successful and well rounded Mac/iOS apps.

We do understand that not everyone is ready or willing to get on 1Password Teams or 1Password Families, for some people it really makes little sense to buy family product that will be used by a single user. 1Password 4 for Windows is still here, it's still great and stable, but it's complicated to continue to evolve it. New Windows desktop app will replace it, it will receive all the features required by standalone users and it will be capable of running Teams or Families should you chose to use it. Just like Mac app does.

This desktop app release is here for people on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 who do not wish or can upgrade to Windows 10 for their reasons. It's actually Windows 10 app that has been made smarter to run on older systems.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    Options

Like @ntimo I'm guessing polish for the settings and options pages will be coming in later betas?

I've also noticed that if you maximise the 1Password window, then exit, the app doesn't remember that you've maximised it next time you start the app. Also it would be nice not to have the small update window pop-up every time the app starts.

Still, the new 1Password app is off to a promising start - finally we get a three-pane layout which works better on widescreen displays, and I eagerly look forward to browser support.

• @pbryanw you are correct, options and settings are to be polished later, although small change has been made, just restart the app to see it.

We will look into preserving window location, for universal app it's provided by the system automatically, for desktop we need to add it. Thanks for bringing this up!

The little update popup is annoying, that's system checking for updates at start. We plan to take control over these checks and do it without flashing windows.

:)

• @ntimo item viewer is due to design updates, copy/reveal buttons, feedback - it's all on my plate now ;)

• You are totally right, Mac app is much better implemented and have received much more love. Being a Windows guy, I can not tolerate that :) I want 1Password on Windows to get in a better shape than we have today, I'm sure we can do it.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @dahanbn,

Just to expand on Serg's post, all of your requested features are already on top of our list. Expect a lot of updates with more features coming in the future. We've almost done with the core foundations in the apps, which will allow us to start focusing on UI and more features on top of it.

• scwagner
    scwagner
    Community Member
    Options

So I must admit that I'm a little confused. It looks like the Windows 10 store version of the app updated, but there's also the download link in this thread provided. Which one should we be using/testing?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @scwagner,

The download is for Windows 7, 8.1 or Windows 10 desktops that doesn't have a Windows Store installed. It's the regular desktop version while the 1Password app in the Windows Store is the Universal Windows Platform / UWP version that's made to run on all Windows 10 devices, such as mobile devices, Halo Lens, Xbox and so on.

If you want to help us improve 1Password quickly, the desktop app will be updated more quickly compared to the UWP version.

• orangevan
    orangevan
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I have noticed some discrepencies and have found a way to access passwords when I do not have the reveal permission set. This only happens in the windows 10 app on my phone and desktop. I don't want to put the specifics in a public forum so please let me know where to send my findings so you can get it fixed. Thanks
    --Evan :)
    Mobile version 2016.5.1000u
    Desktop version from app store 2016.5.1803u

• orangevan
    orangevan
    Community Member
    Options

Another issue I noticed when I was trying to log into my team using the Windows 10 mobile app using the QR code, the QR workflow is inconsistent with what was expected, (square guide marks, auto completion when the qr code is detected etc) instead I had to press the take picture button to capture the image, then press back, and then after all that it still doesn't work stating no account information was found. If I manually key in my account Key it works fine, but the QR method is far superior but isn't working. Mobile version is 2016.5.1000u

• @orangevan please send your findings at support+windowsmodern@agilebits.com and mention this thread, we will take it from there :)

As for QR code, you are right, it's great to have, but it's hard to use in current state. What device are you using? I've noticed that QR code on Lumia 950/950XL tend to fail a lot - the camera is too good; while same app on Lumia 630 works 99% of times. We plan to put aside some time to get QR scanner better, default system UI isn't great for this cause.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @orangevan,

I have noticed some discrepencies and have found a way to access passwords when I do not have the reveal permission set.

That's a known issue, permission enforcement will be implemented properly in a future beta updates.

• orangevan
    orangevan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT and @SergeyTheAgile I have just finished sending an email to the address provided by Sergey. Thanks.

As for the QR code, my phone is a Lumia 830 which has a pretty good camera. I know there are other apps that pull of QR properly so I know it's possible but i'm sure it isn't simple.

I am looking forward to the improvements and will keep on testing and providing feedback. I noticed on my desktop UWP feedback is greyed out. Was this on purpose to prevent feedback or another bug? :)

• No way, we want feedback from you! :)
    It's grayed because your Windows does not support it, I'd guess that you are using stable build of Windows 10. If I remember correctly integration with Feedback Hub application became available roughly a month or so ago in insider builds of Windows 10.

Until Microsoft bring Feedback Hub integration to all people, you can still manually launch Feedback hub, choose Apps and 1Password. Or you can leave it here, in forums. Or in email to support - we welcome any means of communication :)

P.S. 830 has camera twice better than 630, this could cause the QR analyzer to choke. I'll see what we can do to force lower resolution of images taken. It's just previously we have had crashes on high end phones because they do not support low res pictures... perhaps things changed, we will look into it.

• orangevan
    orangevan
    Community Member
    Options

@SergeyTheAgile I use a few different systems and yes this one is the stable build. I will try it out on my other one that is in fast ring.
    My phone is in fast ring and I just updated it to the latest version of the app in the store since it didn't seem to do that on it's own.
    Is the QR workflow currently to just hold it infront of the QR code and wait, or do we need to take the photo and then press back (what I'm currently doing but isn't working no matter how many times I try) also when I updated the app it lost all my settings so I have to punch in the account key again (sad face) but I get to test QR codes some more (happy face)

• orangevan
    orangevan
    Community Member
    Options

@SergeyTheAgile QR code worked this time! (new app version) it took quite a while to process but it worked. I zoomed in to the PDF on my computer with the QR code to make it as big as I could to hopefully help the camera and finally it worked.

• titan
    titan
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    great to see this new version. I am having so much trouble with the win10 and I trust better the desktop version.

I am having some troubles with this new beta, I can sign in to my family/team account.
    But I cannot create anything there, I can edit only.
    checking the logs I see that it says there is no vault selected.

• @orangevan yes, current QR scanner flow is to take a picture using system UI and then decode resulting image. I'm glad you worked it out and I hope to deliver a better experience in one of the future releases.

Windows Store seems to be updated on insider builds recently, some of the apps failed to install for me yesterday until I've noticed that Store has pending update for the Store itself :)

• @titan thank you for your feedback! I'll be fixing add button today, it's definitely something got broken in the process. I'll keep you updated.

Windows 10 app (universal) is essentially the same as new Windows desktop app. However, desktop app relies on different Windows technologies stack and sometimes it just work where universal app fails. We are constantly checking crash reports that Windows Store send to us to find and fix issues, rest assured that no crash goes unnoticed.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@SergeyTheAgile does the QR scanner in the Windows desktop app works?

Edit: Because when I try to use it on the join a team page I get a message that it is not implemented yet.

Edit 2: @SergeyTheAgile are you developing the windows desktop version on your self?

• @ntimo unfortunately desktop app is not yet capable of QR scanner. I'll look into what can be done quickly enough, there are couple of ideas...

I'm one of the guys responsible for all the bugs in both Windows apps, but I'm also the one who can fix them :) Please keep feedback coming!

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@SergeyTheAgile I will may I ask what you have in mind ;)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@SergeyTheAgile Just in case it helps. I am not getting the update yet :dizzy: The CDN still serves the 1901d version.

• SergeyTheAgile
    edited May 2016
    Options

@ntimo I figured that we can get QR scanning from the image in clipboard, once CDN start behaving right you shall get an update .2001d update with updated QR scanner. I've tried to simply screenshot the screen with QR on it and it worked.

This discussion has been closed.