I just bought an upgrade from 1Password v3 to v6. Master password doesn't work

Options
haroelant
haroelant
Community Member

I bought the upgrade from version 3 to 6. When opening 6, it requested me to put in my Master Password. I used the one from v 3. It did not work. Please help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:diagnostics, ug:mac/, ug:mac/new-computer, ug:mac/new-computer-elsewhere

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @haroelant,

I'm sorry to hear 1Password 6 won't accept your master password when upgrading from 1Password 3!

I noticed you contacted us last month (in this other forum discussion) because 1Password 3 wasn't accepting your master password. Were you able to solve that problem and successfully unlock 1Password 3? Or does your master password still not work in version 3? If your master password still won't work to unlock 1Password 3, that explains why it won't work when trying to upgrade to 1Password 6.

If you aren't able to unlock either version, please make sure you've tried the suggestions here: My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

On the other hand, if you can unlock 1Password 3, but cannot unlock 1Password 6 using the same master password, please reset 1Password 6 by following the steps here: How do I start over?

Those steps will only reset version 6 and will not remove your data from version 3 (just make sure you only remove the exact folders/files listed in the instructions). The next time you open 1Password 6, it should take you through a setup procedure and should find your 1Password 3 data. Are you able to unlock it with your master password?

Please let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• haroelant
    haroelant
    Community Member
    Options

Greetings,

Yes, I couldn't log in to version 3. I realized I had copied part of the Master Password incorrectly and then was able to open. I followed your instructions and have version 6 open. When it asked to use existing data, it was asking at the same time to define a new Master Password. Being concerned about responding to the use existing data, I responded to the New Master Password. But now, I do not know how to use the existing data from version 3?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @haroelant,

Hmm, it sounds like you may have chosen the option to create a new vault in 1Password 6 instead of using your existing data. When you open & unlock 1Password 6 now, do you see an empty vault?

If so, there are a few options for migrating your 1Password 3 data to version 6. But since you're familiar with the steps for starting over with 1Password 6, the easiest option might be to go through those steps again in order to reset 1Password 6, and then choose to use your existing 1Password 3 data during the setup (which will ask for the same master password you use in version 3).

If you have trouble with that or would rather migrate your data using a different method, just let us know.

This discussion has been closed.