Changing Passwords

Options

I have recently been changing a couple of passwords. One observation, two questions:-

Observation: The article "How to change your passwords and make them stronger" appears to be no longer current. It suggests that after generating a new password you should check the "Fill" button which seems not to exist. Another article I found somewhere says check the "Copy" button.

Question 1. Having copied the new password to the clipboard the article seems to suggest 1P will automatically fill in and confirm the new password. It never does for me. I always have to paste the new password into the boxes. Am I doing something wrong?

Question 2. The article further suggests that having entered and confirmed the new password 1P will offer to save/update the 1P record. Again it never does in my case, I have to go into the 1P record and manually save the new password by pasting it from the clipboard. Again, am I doing something wrong?

1Password Version: 4.6.0 Beta 605
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @Andrew42,

Thank you for writing in and for your feedback.
    First off: you're not doing anything wrong!

Your observations and subsequent questions are spot-on and understandable.
    The article you've read is aimed mostly at users of 1Password for Mac. As you've seen the browser extension of 1Password 4 for Windows works significantly different. We are in the process of developing a new version of 1Password for Windows an with it new extensions; which will look and behave almost exactly as the extensions on the Mac.

So, as a response to your observation and first question, I suggest you take a look at the user guide article 'Changing a saved password'.

The answer to your second question is that there might be an incompatibility between the site you're changing the password on and 1Password. No website is the same and while we try to optimise the saving and filling algorithms in 1Password to be compatible with the majority of websites on the internet, it's not possible for this to work with all of them.

If you feel comfortable sharing the site that you're having problems with, we would love to take a closer look.

Cheers

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response and explanation. I was changing my password on LinkedIn following reading the revelation of the hacking that went on, ( a few years ago apparently).

• Ah, did the change work with the proper guide at hand or does it still not work as expected?
    I don't recall getting recent reports of issues on Linkedin.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

No change. I just tried again and the newly generated password did not paste not confirm. Also it did not offer to save the new password. I had to click on Settings, Save New Login and Replace.

• Thanks for telling us this, @Andrew42.

We're going to investigate this more closely. Maybe we need to optimise 1Password for the pasword change form on Linkedin a bit better.

You've managed to change you password, though, right?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I got it done without a problem: just a manual step by step process.

• MikeT
    Options

Great to hear that, we'll keep investigating the issue with LinkedIn and ship any updates we need to fix this.

Thank you so much for writing in about this.

This discussion has been closed.