1Password doesn't recognize this website

scotty321
scotty321
Community Member
edited May 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

Very interesting... I found a website where 1Password won't recognize the username & password fields to autofill my username & password. Even after trying all the steps on this support page https://support.1password.com/extension-troubleshooting/#if-1password-doesn-t-ask-to-save-a-password-or-won-t-fill-on-a-specific-website, 1Password still won't automatically fill in the username & password on this page: https://www.secure-booker.com/finleysslamar/LoginOrSignUp/LoginOrSignUp.aspx

1Password Version: Mac 6.2.1 App Store
Extension Version: 4.5.5 (Safari Web Browser)
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @scotty321,

I've done some testing on the page that you gave us. I noticed that if the page is completely blank then it works fine. If the email address is already filled in then 1Password fills the password elsewhere on the page. Could you please check if you're experiencing the same behaviour as me? Make sure safari isn't trying to save part of your login information. If it's not the case, can you please tell us exactly what happens when you click on the entry in 1Password? Nothing happens? The information is filled in the wrong part of the page? Something else entirely?

This will help us understand the issue better :chuffed:

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @scotty,

Thank you for the video. I can't replicate the error, so I'll ask you to do the next thing so we can figure out what exactly is going on on this page.

1. In 1Password main app go to Preferences.
    2. Click on advanced and then enable the option "Copy JSON".
    3. Go to the item of the webpage that is causing trouble and select it.
    4. Go to Item on the menu bar and press the alt key.
    5. While you're pressing alt click on "Copy Extension JSON".
    6. Paste that on an email and send it to support+forum@agilebits.com.
      Please do not post it here in the forums, but please include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we your email.

This will let us see what exactly is going on here :chuffed:

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@scotty321 Just a heads-up that I moved this to the "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum so the right people will be able to see it :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @scotty321. I just tested this site from iOS to Mac and vice versa and here's what I found. The Login saved from the Mac does not fill properly on iOS and the Login saved from iOS does not fill properly on Mac. When I inspect the raw contents of the two items, it seems that the one created on the Mac had to contend with one extra field somewhere. This wasn't saved in the item, but I can tell because 1Password numbers the fields as it collects them and the fields for the username and password to sign in on the right side have higher numbers than what is saved from iOS.

We recently added code to better handle situations where the sign up and sign in forms are on the same page, but in this case, there is actually only one form for the entire page even though visually things are separated out. This is common with ASP.NET sites, which you can usually recognize because they have a .aspx extension for their pages.

Right now, I'm sad to say that the best answer is to keep two copies of this Login with distinct names like "Finley's (Mac)" and "Finley's (iOS)" if you find you need to sign in often on both the Mac and iPad. I know this isn't a great answer. We'll definitely keep this in mind as we make future improvements to our web page filling.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@scotty321 That's an interesting thought, but I do the vast majority of my work on the browser extensions and form filling logic and I can't remember seeing this problem where a site appears identical but has extra fields depending on the platform before, so I'm reticent to add this to a document that many users will see where it could add confusion to the process that in most cases should be pretty straightforward.

For our part, we need to figure out a better way to cluster these form fields together and better make sense of these monolithic forms. The difficulty of course is in the variety of ways that these fields could be styled to appear near one another and how that may or may not reflect the HTML structure. We have plenty of room for improvement and I would rather fix the code than give users crazy workarounds like I had to give you today. I hope that makes sense. :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

My pleasure!

This discussion has been closed.