1Password Desktop issue on Surface Book

Options
MikeT
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows
This discussion was created from comments split from: Feedback on the new 1Password desktop beta.

Comments

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member
    Options

Quick feedback:

• Installing on a high DPI machine (a Surface Book in my case) resulted in the install dialogs displaying off center and in awkwardly small sizes
    • The DropBox login experience looks pretty bad on the same high DPI device
    • After setting up my DropBox account, I was given a choice between the vaults I have up on DropBox (so auth clearly completed and worked). I chose the vault but no content ever synced into it

Unfortunately a non-starter for me at this point.

I'm glad you guys have figured out a path forward, but I'm also disappointed because this current app is less functional than I hoped it would be. I'd like to ask why you haven't just pulled the store app and chosen the non-store app as your one and only Windows solution? Since the store and non-Store apps are based off the same codebase, it seems that the Store app is going to cause you nothing but headaches due to issues with browser integration and other constraints. Why not just invest in one?

Can you also please comment on what the go-forward path is for the user model with respect to folders vs. tags? Your model is different on different platforms and given that I work and live in mixed platform environments, I would really like to see a single user model.

Congratulations on this release and I really do hope to see it rapidly catch up to the other platforms.

• MikeT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @zendnez,

I've split your awesome post into its own thread, so we can address it directly.

First, can you tell us what scaling factor you're using on your Surface Book? We've seen issues that shows up for 125% but doesn't at 150% and vis versa, so it's hard to narrow it down without knowing your %.

Installing on a high DPI machine (a Surface Book in my case) resulted in the install dialogs displaying off center and in awkwardly small sizes

It does show up on top left for now but it is the same font size as the rest of the interface. I'm using at 200% scaling factor and its size seems fine to me.

Would it be possible to ask for a screenshot of this?

The DropBox login experience looks pretty bad on the same high DPI device

It's loading a web page, so it should be identical to Edge loading the page.

Again, a screenshot would be helpful here. I've tested at 200% and it seems fine.

After setting up my DropBox account, I was given a choice between the vaults I have up on DropBox (so auth clearly completed and worked). I chose the vault but no content ever synced into it

This is a known issue with the refresh method, after it is done downloading your vault, it doesn't refresh your UI. If you restart the app, it will then show you the content as expected.

I'm glad you guys have figured out a path forward, but I'm also disappointed because this current app is less functional than I hoped it would be.

I'm sorry you're disappointed. The app is less functional because it's a brand new app, we're not reusing any of the code from the current desktop program version.

In addition, we're also focusing on the core foundation, like the database. It is a lot of under the hood changes that is not visible right now.

As soon as it is stable, more features will be implemented quickly on top of it.

In addition, one thing that may appear to be limiting you is that local vaults do not have write support yet, only for 1Password Accounts. Once we finish implementing the write support for local AgileKeychain and OPvault vaults and also overhaul the entire item viewing/editing experience, it'll be a huge jump in improvement.

I'd like to ask why you haven't just pulled the store app and chosen the non-store app as your one and only Windows solution

Universal Windows Platform (UWP) is the platform that Microsoft is pushing a lot of their efforts in, it is more modern, more flexible and more future-proof. It also has great design frameworks that allows us to support 1Password on Windows 10 mobile devices among future Windows 10 devices like Halo Lens.

In addition, stuff like Windows Hello is limited to UWP apps that the desktop versions will not be able to use.

It's all about staying alongside with Microsoft to take advantages of their newer features while also supporting older Windows customers without spending too much efforts on doing so. Having a shared codebase will speed a lot of our efforts up, not slow us down.

It is possible in the future, one version will be dropped while the other one remains, especially as UWP continues to evolve over time.

We do the same on Mac with the Mac App Store version alongside the website version of 1Password.

Since the store and non-Store apps are based off the same codebase, it seems that the Store app is going to cause you nothing but headaches due to issues with browser integration and other constraints. Why not just invest in one?

That's not the case, a lot of the frameworks between .NET (desktop) and UWP are identical and we don't have to code much to keep them in parity, UWP is going to push us forward and it is not going to slow us down at all.

The UWP app is not going to limit the desktop version, we have the flexibility of extending outward from the UWP codebase.

We are working on browser extension support and we have plans to support it for both the UWP/desktop apps.

Can you also please comment on what the go-forward path is for the user model with respect to folders vs. tags?

The folders are not used anymore with the 1Password Families/Teams, we're only using tags there and all 1Password apps will be consistent with this method from now on.

1Password for iOS/Mac/Android also only uses tags when signed into 1Password Families/Teams.

As the local vaults are still not fully implemented, we will revisit the folders vs. tags there once it is.

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the detailed response, @MikeT.

I'm at 200% scaling on my Surface Book. That's the default.

On installation: The first window that pops up is the download window. It's very small and the text wraps. It shows up in the upper-left quadrant of the screen. Goes by too fast for a screenshot. I assume it's a one-click install thing. Then up comes the next install window. Font sizes are fine but it's also in the upper left corner. I guess the feedback here is just that the dialogues should be centered. Not really a big deal.

Dropbox login is attached. The font does seem very small. Perhaps the only thing you can do about this is to host the login in a child window centered correctly over the parent. I think this is also just aesthetic feedback but at least it would cause the login to not look like it's a tiny interface living in a sea of white.

Once I'm at the main 1Password window, the 1Password logo is off center to the right (also attached). That doesn't seem intentional but maybe it is.

Configuring Dropbox. I have 2-factor auth enabled. Once I enter username/password and then the Authenticator OTP, There's a brief flash of what looks like a browser error page that says that page navigation failed. The screen is then quickly redrawn with a list of my Dropbox hosted vaults.

You're saying that the fact that my Dropbox items don't show up is a refresh problem. That's not the case. My vault is not syncing. I've quit and relaunched. I've explicitly selected Sync from the Settings menu. It's just not syncing.

Another issue. Your installer puts a shortcut on the desktop. If I launch 1Password from this shortcut and then, while 1Password is still running, double click the shortcut again, another instance of 1Password is launched. I assume you really want to be single instancing.

Regarding how many versions of 1Password you ship for Windows :) I don't presume to understand the variables you're considering. Certainly there is a big benefit to the store as a channel. As a user, my request is really this : browser extensions are, for me, the heart and soul of 1Password. Integration needs to be flawless. I don't know the magic incantations you're playing with to make them work for your store app. I have some guesses, though. What I worry about is that you'll choose a less-than-ideal approach in order to get things working for the Store app, and you'll then apply that same approach to the desktop app. For example, you might decide that your browser extensions will sync with the cloud and so will your desktop app. Something like that can work, but it's certainly not what you've got today nor is it what you would build if you weren't wrestling with app store imposed constraints. So my request really comes down to asking that you not choose a lowest-common-denominator approach to browser extensions.

Let me know if/how I can help figure out why my vault isn't syncing.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @zendnez,

I assume it's a one-click install thing.

Yes, we're using the ClickOnce technology for the moment.

I'll see if we can center the dialog in the future.

Dropbox login is attached.

Once I'm at the main 1Password window, the 1Password logo is off center to the right (also attached).

I'm not seeing the screenshots, are you uploading the images on the forum here?

It's just not syncing.

Okay, can you email us your logs. We're not aware of any issues with Dropbox sync at the moment, beside the refresh issue.

To do this;

1. Open 1Password, unlock and enter /log in the search field. It'll bring up its log window
    2. Switch back to the 1Password window, try doing the sync again and try switching between any categories if you can.
    3. Press the refresh button in the log window and then click on the Save icon to save the log file. Could you email that log to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in that email, can you include the link to this thread along with your forum name, so we can connect the dots.

I assume you really want to be single instancing.

Yes, we will fix this in a future update to switch to the running instance instead of opening a new one.

Regarding how many versions of 1Password you ship for Windows :)

It's just one, the unified codebase that would export into two separate versions for us.

As a user, my request is really this : browser extensions are, for me, the heart and soul of 1Password. Integration needs to be flawless.

We do understand and we agree with you on the same thing. Even as we speak right now, it is the single most important priority for us to implement properly. However, before we can do that, the core of 1Password must be finished. Without usable data in the database, the extensions can't work.

We cannot promise anything right now, it's too early to say anything but one thing for sure, we use 1Password here too and we want to replicate the awesome 1Password mini experience on OS X onto Windows as much as possible. We didn't get there in the current version of 1Password for Windows and we're sad about it but we will do things right for this newer version.

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member
    Options

Trying again with the attachments.

Well...my vault did ultimately did sync. I just launched 1Password and the content was there. Maybe it's a UX thing...perhaps you're syncing in the background with no visual indication that syncing is happening and you don't show any items until they've all synced (I've got 567 items in this vault). Just a guess.

I can also now see that it's intentional that the 1Password logo is off to the right...it's in the content section but not the list section. That looks right when there is content in the list but looks awkward when the list is empty. Since that's your first-run / first-impression experience, might be worth doing something different.

Great to hear what you're saying about 1Password mini. Sound like you're coming at it from the place I hoped you were. While you've still got a ways to go, I do feel a lot better about where you're headed. The mysterious "We can't tell you what it is but something great is coming" didn't feel right. This current path does due to its transparency and the fact that you clearly now have an app that you can iterate on. Yay!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @zendnez,

I just launched 1Password and the content was there. Maybe it's a UX thing...perhaps you're syncing in the background with no visual indication that syncing is happening and you don't show any items until they've all synced (I've got 567 items in this vault). Just a guess.

Yea, we're not doing a good job with the lack of UX feedback here. It'll look empty until it is done downloading everything, 600~ items can take a while depending on your network. Once it is downloaded, it should reload the database and again, this is another bug where the reload doesn't get triggered.

The UI polish is coming later, you should see what it looked like a month ago because it is unlike anything like it is now. Things will get better over time quickly.

I can also now see that it's intentional that the 1Password logo is off to the right...it's in the content section but not the list section. That looks right when there is content in the list but looks awkward when the list is empty.

Yes, that's a known UX issue, it shouldn't be empty like that and it will be fixed soon.

While you've still got a ways to go, I do feel a lot better about where you're headed. The mysterious "We can't tell you what it is but something great is coming" didn't feel right. This current path does due to its transparency and the fact that you clearly now have an app that you can iterate on. Yay!

Yay, indeed. The even better news is that now everyone will see this progress we're making daily as we're iterating and shipping the updates as often as we can. The best news is that we're working with you guys to help us improve 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.