Chrome deleted my 1Password extension, now I can't find my database

Options
MSWCyndi
MSWCyndi
Community Member

Please help! I still have the 1Password 4 app on my Mac, but when I open it, it can't find the database.

If I open Firefox, the 1Password app still shows all the logins...I need to migrate them all over...

What do I do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Chrome deleted my 1Password extension, now I can't find my database

Comments

• MSWCyndi
    MSWCyndi
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. - I have tried purchasing the 1Password 6 app, but it doesn't find the logins either. What do I do?

• MSWCyndi
    MSWCyndi
    Community Member
    Options

I am happy to use different browsers, but I need to access my 1Password data! Can you tell me how to find it?

1Password is asking me to either create a new data file or use an existing one, and I don't know where to find the existing one...

sigh

I rely on my 1Password all day long every day...

HELP

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MSWCyndi,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with 1Password on your Mac! We'll be happy to help you get things all sorted out and working again. I noticed you opened two different threads for the same issue, so I merged them together into a single discussion so we don't duplicate efforts or cause confusion between here and there.

If I understand, it sounds like the 1Password extension disappeared from Chrome, and when you opened the main 1Password app it acted as if you had never used it before (i.e. it gave options for creating a new data file or using an existing one). That's certainly strange, because the removal of the browser extension shouldn't have any affect on the data in the main app at all. If the main app acts like the first time you've ever used it, that means it couldn't find your database. That doesn't normally happen unless you somehow remove your 1Password data from the ~/Library/ folder on your Mac.

I'm glad to hear you still see your data when you open the 1Password extension in Firefox, as that means it's still somewhere on your Mac. We just need to figure out why it's not also showing up in the main app. To help us figure out what's going on, can you please give us some more details about your setup:

• What version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • Do you currently have both the 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 apps installed on your Mac? If so, where are they located, and what is the exact name of each app file?
    • If you still have the 1Password 4 app, please open it and go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menu bar. In the window that appears, what is the exact version number, and is it the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version?
    • If you go to the Applications folder on your Mac, how many 1Password apps are there, and what are their names?
    • What version of Chrome are you using?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Chrome?
    • What version of Firefox are you using?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Firefox?
    • Do you use any of the sync options in 1Password (such as Dropbox or iCloud)?

Once we know that information, we should have a much better idea how to proceed. Thanks in advance! :)

• MSWCyndi
    MSWCyndi
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks a million! OK...Here goes:

1. I am running El Capitan, 10.11.5
    2. Yes, Both 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 apps are installed on my Mac. The '1Password 6.app' file is in Macintosh HD > Applications, 1Password 4 is named '1Password.app' and located in Macintosh HD > Users > Cyndi1 > Applications
    3. 1Password 4 = Version 3.8.20 (build 31499), I believe it is the AgileBits Store version
    4. See bullet #2 above
    5. I just upgraded to Chrome Version 50.0.2661.102 (64-bit) - That is when it lost all the 1Password functionality.
    6. I had 1Password 4 3.9.21.90 on Chrome before it was disabled by the Chrome upgrade. I cannot enable that extension any longer...it is dimmed. So I purchased and installed 1Password 6 4.5.6.90 today. When I open it, it prompts me to either create a new data file or find an existing one...when I try, I find NOTHING. sigh
    7. I have Firefox 18.0.2, but it just prompted me to restart Firefox to complete the automatic update. UGH I'm afraid. LOL Very Afraid.
    8. The 1Password extension currently installed in Firefox is 3.9.20
    9. No, I haven't ever used any of the sync options that I am aware.

One last thing. I do regular backups of my computer...If we can find the data file somewhere, I might could grab it from a previous backup.

Thank you again!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks so much for all that information, @MSWCyndi. That is very helpful indeed.

It's possible that you just need to open the correct version of 1Password to see your data. Let's not worry about 1Password 6 just yet. Let's make sure things are working in 1Password 3.8.20 (the app you have been using for a long time now).

It is great that you have backups. I don't suspect we will need to use them in this case, but it is a very good habit to have. :)

• MSWCyndi
    MSWCyndi
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!

It appears that your second step may work.

I installed the extension, and then entered my master password. It now says 'connecting' and is counting up. At 302 so far

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MSWCyndi,

We're getting warmer. :)

Please let me know the answer to this question: If you open the Macintosh HD > Users > Cyndi1 > Applications > 1Password.app, are you able to unlock 1Password and see your data there?

• MSWCyndi
    MSWCyndi
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Good Morning,

I let the Chrome extension try to connect for what seemed forever. LOL It got to a count of 3000 and I need to use my computer so I went to do the other tasks. Every time I move away from that 'connecting' window, it automatically exits, so I can't let it run in the background to see what happens. I will try again when we leave for church...that should give it several hours to try to finish doing whatever it is doing. :)

In response to your question,here's what i see when I open the 1Password.app file

I can't find the existing file. Back to the same place I started. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MSWCyndi: Ah! That appears to be the old 1Password 3 app. At this point, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to get a clearer picture of what's going on on your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. This should tell us if a vault exists, where it is located, or where any backups might be. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• MSWCyndi
    MSWCyndi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! Will do!

Just got back from church, and it's still 'connecting'...counter is up to 15,350, and still going.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @MSWCyndi. When you send in your Diagnostics Report, please be sure to post the support ID here so we can follow up as quickly as possible.

You don't need to let 1Password run around in circles "connecting". We need to get the Diagnostics Report to resolve the underlying issue. Until we do that, it will never be able to connect.

Looking forward to getting the Diagnostics Report and sorting this out once and for all. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MSWCyndi you can safely ignore that request - it's my fault I didn't report here with the information - sorry.

ref: KRT-67796-878

This discussion has been closed.