Can't enter multi-line address

mckillrd
mckillrd
Community Member

I'm trying to enter an address that has two lines, e.g. street on one line and a post office box on the next. I can't figure out how.

Comments

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mckillrd,

welcome to the 1Password forum :)

Unfortunately entering multiline addresses is currently not possible. I would suggest to enter the street and PO box in one line separated by a comma.

Hope that helps.
    Winnie

• mckillrd
    mckillrd
    Community Member

Maybe you can add that. Living in NYC tends to come with some weird addresses with P.O. boxes, apartment numbers, floor numbers, "c/o" instructions, etc. Having multi-line would help.

• Agreed. My own address uses a PO box, though if I list the street address as well sometimes the post office messes up and tries to deliver there (instead of the PO box). For my own identity I've stopped listing the street address. But I obviously realize that is not the solution to everyone's problem. ;)

Thanks for the feedback!

Ben

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

+1 for having 2 lines in the address which is quite normal in the UK - don't forget your international users :-)

...using the comma is only a temp workaround as it still requires cut/paste when filling out forms.

• Thanks for the feedback, @JamesHenderson. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sinister: Thanks for the vote! I already replied to you in another discussion. Be sure to let me know if my suggestion helped. :)

• mckillrd
    mckillrd
    Community Member

I get it on "custom" fields not being fillable. But a multi-line address is hardly custom or out of the ordinary. Practically every address form has multiple text fields for address input.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mckillrd: That hasn't been my experience at all, but of course it will skew based on the websites you visit. Regardless, "second address line" fields are frequently unlabeled and undesignated, and when they are, how they are designated varies wildly from one site to another. This happens with other more common fields in web forms too (like "password" and "username", even when there are widely adopted standards for these), but "second address line" fields seem to be less well-defined. I'm not saying it isn't a problem worth solving, only that it isn't as simple as our eyes and brains would lead us to believe. Hopefully we'll be able to come up with a reliable way of handling these cases. :)

• mckillrd
    mckillrd
    Community Member

Appreciate the context. Thanks!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! It's our own fault for working so hard to make things easy, anyway. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You could also allow users to create their own templates.

@Sinister: Actually, this is something we'd really like to do eventually! It isn't something that fits into 1Password's existing template design though, so it won't be something we add overnight. But I think this is a feature that could help so many different use cases. :)

Auto-filling addresses isn;t as big an issue for me as just storing them there. I have some PO Boxes and stuff that arre hard to remember. For Memberships and stuff like that that do not require auto-fill it would be great if one could save a custom template. I manually edit custom fields in most sections, when it is for my reference, and usually end up making the same edits for each entry, even in log-ins.

This is really good to know. Thanks for your feedback on this! Most people, frankly, are almost only interested in what 1Password can fill for them, so it's great to have a different perspective. It sounds like you get a lot of use out of the custom fields/sections feature, and you're right that the logical next step (or leap, perhaps) would be even more flexibility. :sunglasses:

• mckillrd
    mckillrd
    Community Member

+1 to just using 1Password to remember stuff, and not necessarily only form filling.

Although I'm the original poster here, I actually forgot to mention that the request was for the dual use case of i.) filling forms, but also ii.) being able to answer when someone asks me, "What's your work/home/P.O. Box address?"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

+1 to just using 1Password to remember stuff, and not necessarily only form filling.

:chuffed: :+1:

Although I'm the original poster here, I actually forgot to mention that the request was for the dual use case of i.) filling forms, but also ii.) being able to answer when someone asks me, "What's your work/home/P.O. Box address?"

Thanks for clarifying! If at all possible, I think we can all agree that having both would be even better. Cheers! :)

• rdmarsh
    rdmarsh
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

At some point I've managed to add a literal ascii newline (0a) to a street address field to get a new line, but not sure how I managed this. I can't recreate it by any method I've tried, and copy pasting to try and recreate it just gets changed to a normal ascii space (20).

It may have been an old version on my mac, or from windows, but I'm no longer sure as this address has been in my database for a long time. I also don't have a windows machine to test with at the moment.

I can duplicate the whole entry which keeps the newline in the street field, but any editing to it (eg adding or removing a letter) will change the newline char to a space.

(If it helps anyone, the created date is 2nd Dec, 2013. It was probably the current version at the time)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Interesting. That's a neat (albeit kind of a hassle) workaround. Hopefully we'll be able to make it easier in the future, but I'm glad that works for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.