Archive passwords with 1Password Windows OR 1Password beta for Win10 OR 1Password for iOS

david_legrand
david_legrand
Community Member

Hi,

I'm starting to have quite a lot of passwords / notes / wallet... and I would like to start archive some of them.

I have:

• 1Password 4.6 on my professional laptop (Win 7)
  • 1Password 4.6 and the windows10 beta be on my personal surface pro 4
  • 1Password 6.4 pro on my iPhone iOS 9

All of them are synchronized using the same vault on dropbox.
I'm using mostly the "categories" on iOS and Windows.

I understood that 1Password for windows is under development, I just would like to know what would be the best approach/procedure for the time being to archive these old items :)

Best regards,

1Password Version: 4.6 (win) / beta (win10) / 6.4 (iOS)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 7 / Win 10 / iOS 9
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @david_legrand ,

Many of us here on the team at AgileBits use an Archive vault to hide those items that we don’t want to delete but don’t really need hanging around in our database anymore. To create an Archive vault in 1Password for Windows, try this:

• Export all the items that you wish to archive into a .1pif file (File > Export… > 1Password Interchange File).
    • Use 'File > New 1Password Vault…' to create a new vault. (You can store it locally or sync it to Dropbox if you prefer.)
    • Import the archive items into this vault (File > Import…)
    • Securely delete the .1pif file as it is not encrypted.

I hope this helps!

• tastyroadkill
    tastyroadkill
    Community Member

@Megan That's an interesting feature. I have a few vaults so I keep 1Password set to view "All Vaults." If I follow your instructions above, will those items I archive still be accessible via search (I don't want them to be searchable)? I'm looking for a way to archive old items that I don't want to delete, but also don't want them to clog up my every day use when I view and search my vault.

Thanks for any suggestions!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

@tastyroadkill: With the All Vaults feature in 1Password for Mac, you can choose. Just go to Preferences > All Vaults, and you can either include or exclude individual vaults. And 1Password 4 for Windows search results will only reflect the current vault. Cheers! :)

• tastyroadkill
    tastyroadkill
    Community Member

@brenty Excellent! Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! We're here for you if you need anything else. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.