Disable 'Reveal' and 'Copy' options [fixed in 6.3.BETA-21]

Options
madeagency
madeagency
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Business and Teams

Hi,

I am currently on the beta of the 1password for teams, and so far go good!

I am wondering if there is a way to disable "reveal" and "copy" options for the vaults? I would like the team to be able to login to the sites using the "open and fill" options only.

This would prevent them from knowing the password but still being able to login to the properties.

1Password Version: 5.5.BETA-23
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: El Capital
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@madeagency as your post relates to 1P for Mac beta I have moved the post from the 1Password for Mac forum to the 1P for Mac Beta forum where you will get more help.

Stephen

• madeagency
    madeagency
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @madeagency,

Actually, since we're talking about 1Password for Teams, the 1Password for Teams beta forum is the best home for this discussion, so I've shifted it again. Apologies for the confusion!

Now, the great news is that 1Password for Teams has some awesome controls for access which means that Administrators can precisely control who has access to what, including the ability to reveal passwords. Learn more in the 1Password for Teams Admin Guide: Access Control.

• madeagency
    madeagency
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks alot, looks good.

One piece of feedback is it would be great to be able to group users and set this on a group level instead of on a per-user basis, if you have a large team the management and maintenance of this could be a bit tough..

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @madeagency,

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I'll pass it along to our team. :)

• madeagency
    madeagency
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi @Megan ,

Think I found an issue.

The solution mentioned above seems to disable it for SECTION 1 of the screenshot attached. The user cannot copy/reveal the password in SECTION 1, however, in SECTION 2, they can - which defeats the purpose?

[screenshot removed by admin]

Thanks,
    Chris

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Chris ( @madeagency ),

Thanks for sharing that screenshot! I did remove it from the thread, as there was an instance of your email address that was not obscured, but it was quite helpful.

Could you please confirm what your access settings are for the vault in question? We've done some testing here, and with read-only access (no viewing or copying of passwords) we were not able to view a password even as a custom field. Obviously if custom password fields are being handled differently than default password fields, we'll need to have our developers look into this as soon as possible.

• ClayG
    ClayG
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,

I have a related question: any chance that it's possible for 1Password to prevent browsers from storing password? I don't mean manually disabling password storage in the browser, I mean as a 1Password admin. I know that's a tall order, but since we're talking about keeping passwords from being revealed... I suspect it's not an option now, but any chance it may be added?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ClayG,

That's a great question! This is something that we're aware of, and are considering how to implement, but there are some technical challenges. We have an improvement request filed, and I've added your thoughts to the request to let our team know you'd be interested in seeing a feature like this.

ref: OPX-1054

• ClayG
    ClayG
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response @Megan!

Glad to hear it's being considered. I've come up with a couple more things, perhaps they're issues, perhaps I'm missing something:

1) When I uncheck 'reveal passwords' for a user, it takes effect in the web app but not in the Mac app (latest beta) or iOS app. Is this expected behavior? Am I missing something?

2) When I uncheck 'reveal passwords,' it also removes the add new item button (plus sign) in a vault even though 'create new' is still on. Also expected?

Thanks again for your time. Really looking forward to using this with my team.

• Hi @ClayG ,

1. As soon as you click elsewhere to dismiss the permissions popup menu in the web browser, it should take effect the next time your Mac or iOS device syncs. If there were network issues at the time, that might not happen right away. If the network connection is good, it should happen immediately. Is this not what you say?
    2. Where do you see the "Create New" option. It should mimic the presence of the + button.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• ClayG
    ClayG
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_kevin,

Thanks for your response.

1. No, that's not what I'm seeing. I've even confirmed successful syncs by adding new content to the vault and seeing it sync across each app. I've also removed and re-added the team to the Mac App and I still have the ability to reveal passwords in said app. Is it, by chance, because they are items I created? I'm testing it solo right now.

2. To clarify, this part was regarding the web app, not local apps. As soon as I disable 'reveal passwords,' the + button disappears. I'll attach screenshots of the setting and missing button. I can continue to add new content in the local apps.

Thanks again,

Clay

• ClayG
    ClayG
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_kevin and @Megan,

Any thoughts on the above?

Cheers,

• Hi @ClayG,

I've confirmed that issue 2 is by design. The + button should disappear on Mac/iOS as well when the user does not have Reveal permissions. There are some changes coming to the web app, so that could explain some discrepancies.

For issue 1, we're having trouble reproducing it here. The copy/reveal option is gone as soon as we remove Reveal permissions. If the option remains when you try it, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

First, make sure reveal passwords is checked. Then with the Mac app open, and an item selected, verify the copy/reveal menu is available. Then take note of the date/time (including seconds, as close as practical) when you remove reveal permission in the web client. Click outside the permission menu to dismiss it, wait a few seconds, and check to see if it's gone on Mac.

Then follow the instructions here to send a report.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• ClayG
    ClayG
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_kevin,

Thanks for your reply. Turns out it is as I kind of suspected, I just hadn't had an opportunity to check it: being an admin was overriding the setting reflecting in the app. As soon as I demoted myself to standard user, the reveal and add options disappeared from both the Mac and iOS apps. I don't think that's a bad thing, but it is inconsistent with the web app.

I don't think you'll need it knowing that, but let me know if you still want any reporting. Happy to help.

• Hi ClayG,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, be sure to report any issues or concerns that you find. We appreciate it!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• madeagency
    madeagency
    Community Member
    Options
  • Jacob
    Options

@madeagency Thanks for getting back to us! I see what's happening. At the moment, the "Reveal passwords" permission does not affect the web form details. We're hoping to improve that in the future. Thanks for asking about it. :)

ref: OPM-3894

• madeagency
    madeagency
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Has this been resolved yet or planned ? :)

Thanks,
    Chris

• Jacob
    Options

@madeagency It has not been resolved yet, and I can't comment on plans since those can change. ;) All the same, I've let our developers know that your interest is still around. Thanks for checking in.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Has this been resolved yet or planned ? :)

It's been resolved with a recent beta build, @madeagency. For 6.3.BETA-21:

• Fixed an issue in show web form details where password fields would not honor the Reveal Password permission for 1Password accounts. {OPM-3894}

Thought you'd like to know. :)

This discussion has been closed.