security scan after downloading installer causes blue screen in windows 10 new dual xeon build

Options

I just built a server dual xeon 8 core v4 processors, I am having trouble with the download (4.6.0.604) 1password. During the security scan after downloading (both in chrome and edge browsers) my machine freezes up and then blue screens.
I reinstalled the os because I though this was the issue but the same thing happened again. I reinstalled the os a third time and left the machine on for 2 days, checked the event log and there are only a few events logged over the course of a couple days. I then tried to download 1password again and again got the blue screen after a freeze up on the security scan??

Any ideas.
Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@swihart: Wow. That's crazy! I'm sorry for the trouble!

Franky, I haven't heard anything like this in the 3 months since 4.6.0.604 was released...or that I can remember with previous versions either.

This may seem like a stupid question, but it would be very negligent of me not to ask it: where are you downloading 1Password from?

Since that's probably not the issue though, can you tell me the exact version and build of Windows 10 you're using? If it's the 2016 Tech Preview, that would be more understandable and less distressing. Thanks in advance!

• swihart
    swihart
    Community Member
    Options

Downloaded from here.
    Checking hardware drivers etc. Thanks for your response. It is a very unusual problem. We have 10 other computers here that had no issue with this so I think it may be a hardware issue..
    I will report back.

• swihart
    swihart
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry this is where I downloaded from
    https://agilebits.com/downloads

• swihart
    swihart
    Community Member
    Options

Took my video card out, now using the built in vga on motherboard.
    same issue happened in chrome.
    I am going to replace the system drive with a new drive and report back.

• swihart
    swihart
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried installing 1password from a download that I made from another computer. I had an older version but the same thing happened.. Blue screen (Clock_Watchdog_Timeout). I have installed a bunch of other things but no luck with 1password. replacing SSD system drive next.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@swihart: Thanks for following up! It makes more sense that other apps — such as Chrome — would be affected as well. Weird if it would only be triggered by a security scan, but it may be that Windows writes to the same memory address for this...

It could be a lot of things, but BSODs are generally going to be a hardware or driver issue since other software doesn't have the level of access needed to bring down the whole system like that. There are a number of possibilities, but RAM or GPU are the first that come to mind. It's less likely to be the storage I think, since the same sectors are unlikely to be written every time. For that reason, and because it's a huge hassle to keep reinstalling the OS, I'd explore other options first. Please let me know what you find!

• swihart
    swihart
    Community Member
    Options

I did the diagnostics on the ram. I have 256gb in this server so it took all night. No issues however. I also took the video card and and got the on board vga adapter working. These are the new skylake chips.. maybe an issue there?

• swihart
    swihart
    Community Member
    Options

no other installer has had this issue so far however?
    apps installed thus far
    chrome
    vienna ensemble pro
    real vnc
    Native instruments Komplete 9 (take about 4 hours to install)
    core temp 1.0

• That is highly peculiar, @swihart.

Which OS version are you running? Do you have any special security software installed?
    Like Brent said, installing abone doesn't require deep system access and thus a BSOD is highly unlikely.
    I've seen behaviour like this when anti-malware software shuts down the system when it fears that potentially catastrophic malware is being run but even that is rare.

We'll be waiting to hear back from you.

• swihart
    swihart
    Community Member
    Options

I did not try to turn off windows defender when I did the download. there is no other anti virus on the machine. Just windows 10. I initially went back and tried this with windows 8.1 and had he same issue. both fresh installs to a "clean" drive. I really cannot explain it other than it being a skylake issue, or the combination of skylake and windows defender? I did not do a cpu diagnostic yet but everything is working so well I just don't know what to say?? I will do the intel cpu diagnostic when I am done moving files to this machine. I can use it without 1pass on it but I would prefer that it is on it. It will operate as a server that I use only through a vnc viewer anyway so it will be as if it has it on it anyway. It's just interesting?? I had the same issue with 4.6.0.604 and 4.6.0.586. The other possibility is that it is something incredibly simple that I have overlooked so don't be afraid to offend me pls. :) Thanks for listening to my adventures..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@swihart: Hmm. I have a Skylake machine here too, but it's certainly using a less substantial chipset than your server, so that alone may account for the difference.

Just to clarify, when you say you had the same issue with Windows 8.1, that was the same machine? It sounds like that's the case, and it makes sense that on the same hardware, with the same installer, the same security (Defender), and a very similar OS (Windows 8 and 10 are closely related) that the same (as far as I know) unique problem would present itself.

I really wouldn't be comfortable suggesting that you disable Defender. I wish I had a silly, mildly offensive suggestion for you, but I'm really grasping at straws. Have you tried this without other software installed? The ones that stand out to me are VNC (since it uses the display, and I believe its own driver) and Core Temp (since that's accessing hardware directly as well). The rest sounds like composition software, though I'm not familiar with those apps. I'd suggest uninstalling those.

Normally I'd suggest another browser, but you've tried Edge and Chrome, and it seems like it's triggered by the security scan done by Defender, which should happen regardless. Hopefully we'll be able to come up with something if we put our heads together. :eh:

• MikeT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @swihart,

I've seen a few reports like this before, a few users managed to fix it by updating their BIOS. Can you check to see if there are BIOS update and install them?

This discussion has been closed.