During upgrade MacKeeper deleted all 1Password data

HunterBoss
HunterBoss
Community Member
edited June 2011 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
During upgrade to 3.6, MacKeeper deleted everything.
I think it's time to start panicking

I've been using 3.x for some time. The occasional hiccup, but that was probably my fault.
I would add log-ins and software information to it at every opportunity.

Now it all seems to be gone.

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.7 by the way.

my MacUpdate App indicated yesterday that there's an update.
so I updated in installed
didn't have any need to use 1Password yesterday.

I do today.

When I click on the 1P on the Safari browser my options are Purchase, Launch or About!
When I click on Launch it wants me to start from scratch or pick a file
There's nothing to select
When I click on Licenses it says I'm not registered

What happened? Where is it?

Oh yeah, and another thing, it won't close without Force Quitting it.

Christopher

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Christopher. I am sorry that you are having this problem. This is certainly not normal behavior, but perhaps something else on your system changed to cause 1Password to be unable to locate your data file. Please restart your Mac and see if that helps.

If simply restarting your Mac doesn't help, you can always restore from a backup which 1Password automatically creates for you (File > Restore Data File from Backup). It sounds like somehow 1Password's preferences file is missing, corrupt, or otherwise unreadable, so you may need to enter your license information again if this is the case.

If you are still having trouble, please let me know. We'll make sure we get this resolved as quickly as possible.

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? To generate the report from 1Password on your Mac, open 1Password and select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report. Then attach the entire file to an email to support@agilebits.com.

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.

Thanks!
  • dteare
    edited June 2011
    I just wanted to update this thread with the correspondence we've had with Christopher over email.

It turns out when Christopher upgraded to the new version of 1Password, MacKeeper asked him if he would like to delete all the "old files" associated with the old version of 1Password. Sadly it wasn't clear that this included all of his 1Password data and all the backup files. When he click OK all his data was moved to the Trash. Liking to keep things clean, Christopher then performed a Secure Empty Trash function.

I'm trying to help Christopher find his data file on an external backup; hopefully he can find one!

For anyone else with a similar issue, here is the file you need to find on your backup disk:

Your Home Folder > Library > Application Support > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain

If you can find this file, you can get all your data back by copying it from your backup disk to your local disk. Also, you might be able to find a backup of your data in the folder, by default it is located beside your main data file (shown above) but you can change that in the 1Password Preferences.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Sorry to hear you troubles Christopher,

This is a very unfortunate accident. I would however like to take a moment to either recommend Dropbox even if you don't use the sync mechanism you can still move you 1Password backups there. Dropbox always has a 30 day restore policy

Another solution would be for you to look at Crashplan I use it and sincerely love it. Its free backup from one of your computers to another of your computers. Even over the internet, or to a friend who is also running Crashplan.

http://www.Dropbox.com

http://www.Crashplan.com

This discussion has been closed.