Why can I only have a Document item in a team?

kat_team
kat_team
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Business and Teams

I have searched through all your documentation, user guides, etc. and cannot find an answer to this. I am able to add a document item in my team vaults but not in my primary vault or other created vaults that not team vaults. I can also attach a document only in my team vaults. Why is this? Please point me to relevant documentation about this.

1Password Version: 6.3.BETA-30
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:why is it possible to have a document item in a team vault but it's not allowed in primary vault

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

@kat_team

No documentation to point to, well that I could Google maybe one of the staff will have more info. However Documents are a new storage method introduced in teams and families. Documents do not have to be linked to any other 1Password items.

In stand alone vaults you had attachments (linked to another 1Password item). As of the current timeframe. Documents has not made the jump back to standalone vaults.

I much prefer Documents, so seeing it in stand alone vaults would be a nice addition.

• kat_team
    kat_team
    Community Member

Is there a plan to add documents as items in standalone vaults?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kat_team,

I’m sorry for the confusion! Did thightower’s response help to clear things up?

I have searched through all your documentation, user guides, etc. and cannot find an answer to this.

Our document team is working hard to build a set of documents for 1Password Teams and 1Password Families that answers all your questions, but it is a work in progress. I’ll let them know that you find the support pages useful and would be interested in seeing more information about 1Password accounts there.

I can also attach a document only in my team vaults.

You can add attachments to existing items in 1Password outside of your 1Password Teams account by editing the item and then dragging the file to the attachment area at the bottom of the item.

Please let me know if you’re seeing something differently.

• kat_team
    kat_team
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

Though I'm very impressed with your speedy and thorough forum replies, documentation is key to good software and I think your software shines! I understand that it takes time to write good documentation and keep it updated but hope it's a priority for your staff.

I did find that I can add an attachment to any item in any vault, so forget that part of my question.

What I can't do is move a document item from a team vault to a non-team vault. My understanding from thightower is that documents are not "items" in non-team vaults at this time.

Is there a plan to add them?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kat_team,

Thightower is correct. At this time, Documents are not available in non-teams vaults. For non-teams vaults, you would use the attachment method to add the file to an existing item as I described in my earlier post.

We’ve had a few requests for Documents to be added to non-teams vaults, and I’m happy to add your vote to the request in our internal tracker, but I can’t say if or when that feature will be implemented.

Sorry I can’t provide a more definitive answer here, I hope this helps!

• kat_team
    kat_team
    Community Member

You've answered my questions and added my vote so you've helped considerably. Will await better documentation :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kat_team,

Thanks so much for your patience! If you have any other questions about 1Password, you know where to find us. :)

This discussion has been closed.