Safari 5.1 required for native Safari extension

not available in Safari extension gallery
I have what may be a related problem with Safari 5.0.5, OSX 10.6.8. I am using 1Password 3.6.1 (build 31057), which I believe is the latest beta update.

For this update and the last three or so updates, the release notes say to update Safari 5.1's extension, 1Password/Preferences/Extensions, but the 1Password extension is not shown in the list. I have uninstalled and re-installed the Safari Browser Extension in 1P/Preferences/Browsers/Safari. Is that what the note means?

Further, I cannot find any 1Password Extension in Apple's Extensions Gallery. I don't even know how to search for it, since I can't find a search box in the Extensions Gallery to get the 1Password extension.

Finally, it confuses to have both a Browser extension and an Extensions extension to install &/or update.

Thanks for any help, I would appreciate it.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited June 2011
    The new extension will not be show in the 1Password > preferences > browsers.

Instead Open Safari > preferences > extension there you will see the 1Password extension.

To update the extension visit the 1Password preferences > browsers > below the installed extensions box you will see a box which says install Safari extension click it and you should be prompted to install the safari extension. You may also wish to check the box when prompted to automatically update extensions.

Currently the latest Safari extension is 3.6.5 beta 23
  • tomeg
    tomeg
    Community Member
    I'm still puzzled. The problem is, there is no 1Password extension to update. There's a list of the extensions I use, but 1Password isn't among them. I can't update what I don't have to begin with. And I don't find an install Safari extension option as far as I can see.

Otherwise the 1P Safari browser extension works fine.

To illustrate I'm attaching a screen shot of all the extensions in Preferences/Extensions.

thightower wrote:

The new extension will not be show in the 1Password > preferences > browsers.

Instead Open Safari > preferences > extension there you will see the 1Password extension.

To update the extension visit the 1Password preferences > browsers > below the installed extensions box you will see a box which says install Safari extension click it and you should be prompted to install the safari extension. You may also wish to check the box when prompted to automatically update extensions.

Currently the latest Safari extension is 3.6.5 beta 23
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited June 2011
    You need to install it if you haven't done so manually

Please do no post diagnostic reports in the forums.
    To generate the report go to the 1Password menubar > help > troubleshooting > diagnostic report
    You will need to open mail and drag the attachment into the message or attach it to the email.
  • tomeg
    tomeg
    Community Member
    Attached is what I find in the Preferences/Browser/Extensions Window. There is no "Install Safari Extension" button.

thightower wrote:

You need to install it if you haven't done so manually

Please do no post diagnostic reports in the forums.
    To generate the report go to the 1Password menubar > help > troubleshooting > diagnostic report
    You will need to open mail and drag the attachment into the message or attach it to the email.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    tomeg wrote:

Attached is what I find in the Preferences/Browser/Extensions Window. There is no "Install Safari Extension" button.

Thank you, would you mind sending the report.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2011
    Safari 5.0 does not support the new extension. It is only available for Safari 5.1.

1Password's old "extension" will never show up in Safari's preferences because it is not really an "extension". It is an extension but it is not a Safari Extension in the technical sense. 1Password hooks into Safari 5.0 through a technology called Scripting Additions which Apple has removed from the upcoming release of Mac OS X (called Lion). In order to prepare for the future, 1Password integrates with Safari 5.1 through Safari's native extension APIs. These are the extensions that show up in Safari's preferences.

If you are not running the developer preview of Safari 5.1 (available only to Apple developers at this time) then you will not see 1Password listed in Safari's preferences with the rest of the extensions which use the native APIs. The 1P toolbar button should be in Safari's toolbar, though, so if it isn't, then we need to get that working for you. But it sounds like it is. ;-)
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Doh

Feels so stupid.... I missed that portion of tomegs post. Thank you for not dropping the ball khad

This discussion has been closed.