I can't see my primary vault on my main mac but can on my ipad. How do I find it?

Options
visability
visability
Community Member

I upgraded to 1Password6. Created a team so I could sync with my ipad. Managed to sync with my ipad and used the ipad to manage the vaults. When I tried to use both this morning my mac made me sign into the team and now it has no data because it only shows a personal and a shared vault but there is no primary. The primary contains all the data so now my mac won't log on to websites etc. I used sync over icloud when I set up the ipad but can't seem to find any method of syncing on the mac. Is this because 1Password thinks the ipad is the primary device? Or am I just being stupid?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:I can't see my primary vault on my main mac but can on my ipad. Where is it?

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi @visability,

I'm sorry about the confusion, all this can be a bit tricky! A Team or Family account is different from a license. The information stored in a "Primary" vault is stored locally, in your device. It needs to be synced with your other devices via Dropbox, iCloud or Wi-Fi. A Team account stores your data on a server, and it's subscription based. If this is what you want, then the easiest thing for you to do is to move all the items that are on the Primary Vault into the Personal Vault. This will move them from your iPad into the server and you'll be able to access them on your Mac right away. If you don't want a subscription, then you need to add your license to your Mac and set up a syncing method (iCloud, as you mentioned would work just fine!) You can see how to that here: https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/sync-icloud.html

I hope this makes things clearer! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions or anything else we can help you with :chuffed:

• visability
    visability
    Community Member
    Options

OK how do I move the data from Primary to Personal on my ipad?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @visability,

First of all I want to apologise, I didn't realise at the moment I answered that you were starting from the iPad. Most people start on their Mac, so I missed that detail. There isn't a way to move all the items at once from one vault to another in the iPad.

In your circumstances, I would recommend following my second suggestion and setting up iCloud sync. Everything will be synced to your Mac. You can then manage your vaults from your Mac and choose to use your team account later if you want to.

Here you can find the instructions for iOS: https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/sync-with-icloud.html
    And here for Mac: https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/sync-icloud.html

Please let me know how this goes for you.

• visability
    visability
    Community Member
    Options

OK reading the first line of the instructions it seems I didn't need to create a team account. I just want to use 1Password on my mac and my ipad and for them to sync. Also you have implied that I might have to subscribe (pay extra) for the team, but I'm not sure if I understood that correctly. The trouble with following your instructions on the links is that I can't sync the primary on my mac because it does not appear! I have however laboriously copied my logons from the primary to the personal on my ipad and they now appear in the person vault on my mac. It seems to be working that way but I have not been able to sync primary over icloud. Should I stay the way I am now and use the personal vault which seems to sync over icloud somehow or am i going to have to subscribe to team to continue in that mode? I'm sorry if this is proving difficult and thanks for your help thus far!

• visability
    visability
    Community Member
    Options

Another thing. Reading your instuctions at https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/sync-icloud.html
    Sync does not appear in my settings, nor does Wifi Server and I have no primary vault at all on my mac! I've taken a screen grab of what I get but the little icon above here to attach it doesn't seem to be working either!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @visability,

I'm sorry about the confusion generated from syncing and teams, it can be a bit tricky to sort out! I'm glad to be able to help you! You're right: a Team account is something that you subscribe and therefore pay for. Right now the Personal Vault is stored on a server, and your Mac is accessing that information. You would need to keep your subscription to teams to keep on sharing the information between your devices this way. That's why I recommend iCloud instead!

Since you connected to a Team right away, you first need to enable local vaults. Go to Preferences > Advanced and click on "Enable Persona Vaults". Once you've done this you should be able to see the Primary Vault, and the Sync option on preferences should reveal itself. You should then be able to follow the steps in the guide.

Please, let me know how this turns out! :chuffed:

• visability
    visability
    Community Member
    Options

OMG that's all it needed! That's why I didn't have a primary vault and the sync option!!
    So now I can remove my team account yes and it should all still sync through icloud on my mac and my ipad?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@visability I'm glad to hear it all got sorted out! Yes, you can now remove you Teams account and keep everything synced with iCloud. Just something to avoid confusion: if you copied your items from your primary vault into the personal vault before, then you're all set! However, if you moved them, then you'll have to copy them back. In your Mac you can select all and then move them in one single step.

Let me know if there's something else I can help you with! :chuffed:

• visability
    visability
    Community Member
    Options

I seem to have merged two vaults and eneded up with 2 copies of each login so I've just been through and deleted half!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@visability, I'm sorry to hear you ended up with duplicates of your items! That's not something that should normally happen, but I suspect it had something to do with moving/copying items between your vaults when trying to get things set up as you wanted. It sounds like you've already gone through your items and removed any duplicates, so hopefully you're all set now and won't need to worry about that again.

If you need anything else, please let us know - we're always glad to help! :)

• jtrow
    jtrow
    Community Member
    Options

For what it's worth, I had basically the same problem. I've been a 1Password user for the past 5 or 6 years. I run a small software business and we signed up for Teams beta when it launched last year. At that point, you had to have both a Primary and Teams as far as I remember. All my data synced with Dropbox so I could use it on multiple devices.

Recently I migrated my data from one computer to another and in the process had to set up 1Password again on the new machine. When I opened it up 1PW on the new machine, no Primary vault - like the user above - (i.e. the 'Vaults outside of 1Password Accounts' setting wasn't enabled either until I read this thread). Why? This wasn't a necessary setting before that I remember. I enabled it and it let me find/sync the Primary account onto my machine as above, but I have to say it's incredibly hard to understand what's going on here.

Love your product but the Teams/Families rollout has been super confusing...

• jtrow
    jtrow
    Community Member
    Options

Follow up question:
    Now that I have my Primary back, should I copy all of that into the Personal vault on Teams (we intend to pay for Teams service as we use it for our business) and stop using Dropbox sync? Will 1PW continue to sync across all my devices if I turn Dropbox sync off if I've moved everything into Personal?

Another question: I'd like to be able to also have a separate vault that I can share with my wife (but is not shared with my Team). How do I do that? The last time I asked about this I was told it wasn't possible to have this set up (effectively two different Teams - one for my family and one for my business)...any suggestions on how to do this?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jtrow,

I'm really glad to hear you've been using 1Password for 5 or 6 years now! Thanks for writing in with your questions - I'll be happy to answer them and clear up any confusion.

...we signed up for Teams beta when it launched last year. At that point, you had to have both a Primary and Teams as far as I remember.

That's correct: When we first launched the Teams beta, the 1Password apps did not yet have a "Teams-only" mode. So it was necessary to create a local/Primary vault first, and then add your Teams account.

All my data synced with Dropbox so I could use it on multiple devices.

Your Primary vault (and any other local vaults) can sync via Dropbox, but any vaults that are part of your Teams account are automatically synced through our own secure servers, so they don't use Dropbox or other cloud sync services.

When I opened it up 1PW on the new machine, no Primary vault - like the user above - (i.e. the 'Vaults outside of 1Password Accounts' setting wasn't enabled either until I read this thread). Why?

Not everyone who has a 1Password Teams (or 1Password Families) account needs/wants to have local vaults, so now they don't have to - it's no longer necessary to create a Primary vault before adding a Teams account to the 1Password app. On a new computer, you can choose to sign into your Teams account during the initial setup of 1Password (i.e. the "Teams-only" mode I mentioned above).

Because some people start off in "Teams-only" mode but later need or want to create a local vault (for example, to add a vault from Dropbox), we added the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password Accounts" setting. When you start off in "Teams-only" mode, the option to create local vaults is disabled by default to avoid confusion for those who don't need them.

In case it helps, the options you should see when setting up 1Password on a new Mac are described here: Use existing 1Password data on a new computer

This wasn't a necessary setting before that I remember.

That's because that option didn't exist when you first signed up for the Teams beta - we added it at some point within the last few months or so. Before that, anyone who signed up for Teams was forced to also create a local/Primary vault in 1Password for Mac, even if they didn't want one.

I enabled it and it let me find/sync the Primary account onto my machine as above, but I have to say it's incredibly hard to understand what's going on here.

Sorry for the confusion! I suppose a side-effect of being a beta tester is that lots of things can change before the official stable release. And indeed, there have been lots and lots of changes to 1Password Teams since the first beta! That may have caused a bit of confusion in your case, but someone who signs up for the first time now wouldn't need to worry about that.

Now that I have my Primary back, should I copy all of that into the Personal vault on Teams (we intend to pay for Teams service as we use it for our business) and stop using Dropbox sync?

It's entirely up to you! If you no longer need local vaults that sync via Dropbox, you can move all the items to your Teams vaults, then switch to "Teams-only" mode. But you can certainly keep using local vaults if you want to.

Will 1PW continue to sync across all my devices if I turn Dropbox sync off if I've moved everything into Personal?

Yes - any data you have in your Teams vaults will sync to your devices via our own secure servers (as long as you've signed into your Teams account on those devices, of course). Dropbox is only used to sync local vaults (which are not part of your Teams account).

I'd like to be able to also have a separate vault that I can share with my wife (but is not shared with my Team). How do I do that?

There are a few options to do that:

• You can create a new vault in your Teams account which is only shared between you and your wife (you'd need to invite your wife to join your Teams account). It wouldn't be shared with the rest of your team (unless you choose to share it with them).
    • You and your wife can sign up for a 1Password Families account and share a vault with each other (this would require a separate subscription fee).
    • You can create a local vault in 1Password on your Mac and sync/share it with your wife via Dropbox. We have steps to do that here: How to share a vault without 1Password Families or 1Password Teams

The last time I asked about this I was told it wasn't possible to have this set up (effectively two different Teams - one for my family and one for my business)

I'm not sure what the circumstances were at the time, but you can definitely add multiple Teams and/or Families accounts to 1Password for Mac now. You can do that from the Accounts tab of the Preferences in 1Password for Mac. We explain more about that here: Quick Start: 1Password Families and Teams

Hopefully that answers your questions, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're always happy to help! :)

• jtrow
    jtrow
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Drew_AG - appreciate the detailed info / feedback!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! We're here for you if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.