Multiple Vaults Have Totally Confused Me

hornbyrav
hornbyrav
Community Member

I added three vaults on my MacBook Pro and sorted the logins I wanted in each. When I went to my iPad, only the first of the new vaults shows and I don't seem to have the option of showing "All Vaults." Then when I tried to follow instructions that I thought might help, both of the newer vaults ended up with the same lists and "all vaults" has each item doubled. Meanwhile, on my iPad, only the one vault shows which, fortunately, now has the full list. Before I do anything drastic, I wonder it someone could help me figure out what I did right and wrong, since I was following the instructions in the manual but can't find any detail about how to properly sync all the vaults nor are the questions and responses on the forum resolving the issue.

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: El Capitan
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Vaults on MacBook not available on ipad

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hornbyrav,

I'm sorry you've been having such trouble with multiple vaults! We'll be happy to help you get this straightened out.

I think there are a few different things causing confusion here. Let's start with this one:

When I went to my iPad, only the first of the new vaults shows and I don't seem to have the option of showing "All Vaults."

On your Mac, after you created the new vaults and moved items to them, did you sync each one with Dropbox? Each vault has its own sync settings in 1Password, so you'll need to set up Dropbox sync for each vault you want to sync with your iPad. If you have 3 vaults in 1Password on your Mac, you should end up with 3 different sync files in Dropbox.

Then when I tried to follow instructions that I thought might help, both of the newer vaults ended up with the same lists and "all vaults" has each item doubled.

It sounds like you copied the same items to two different vaults, so you're seeing both copies of each item in the 'All Vaults' view. You'll need to delete the duplicate copies. Depending on how many items/duplicates you have, the easiest way might be to simply go through the list of items in 'All Vaults' view and get rid of the duplicate copies. (Or if two of your vaults have all the exact same items as each other, it might be easier to switch to one of those vaults and delete all the items at once.)

In case it helps, when you're in the 'All Vaults' view, the item details will show you which vault each item is in (right below the title).

Meanwhile, on my iPad, only the one vault shows which, fortunately, now has the full list.

Once each vault on your Mac is syncing with Dropbox (and you've taken care of the duplicate items), you'll need to sync/add each vault to 1Password on your iPad. (It sounds like you're already syncing your Primary vault on your iPad, so you'll need to add the other two.) As long as you've unlocked Pro features in 1Password for iOS, you can add your secondary vaults on your iPad by following the steps in the user guide here: Using multiple vaults

Please let us know how it all goes - if you have trouble with any of that or have more questions, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• hornbyrav
    hornbyrav
    Community Member

Thank you so much. What you added is that each vault has to have its own file, which I don't think was clear in the manual. In any case, I've succeeded in getting it all set up now and am grateful for your quick response.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news @hornbyrav! I'm really glad that helped you get things all sorted out on your end. Thanks for following up to let us know!

We're always happy to help, so please don't hesitate to let us know if you run into more problems. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.