Is 1Password 6 just for subscribers to family and groups [Available for everyone as betas only]

Options
teal_oak
teal_oak
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I am a little unclear about all the different programs available. Is 1Password 6 just for subscribers to family and groups or is it available for the rest of us.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Is 1Password 6 just for subscribers to family and groups

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @teal_oak,

It's available for everyone. One of the main issues is that both 1Password 6 beta for Windows and 1Password Beta for Windows 10 apps do not support editing/creating new items for local vaults (.agilekeychain / .opvault files) at the moment. That support is coming but we don't have a timeframe on this. For 1Password accounts users (Families/Teams), it does support creating new items and editing existing items as well.

As for why two separate apps, I've wrote this elsewhere in the forum:

There are going to be two separate apps that's built from a single unified C# codebase that is not limited to Windows 10:

1. 1Password 6 for Windows, the desktop .NET program that'll run on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10, available to download from our site. It will extend to have more powerful features that the UWP app may not have.
    2. 1Password for Windows 10, the UWP app that'll run on all Windows 10 devices, including Windows 10 mobile, Holo Lens, Xbox, and etc that is only available in the Windows 10 Store. It will take advantage of many of the UWP-only features, such as Windows Hello.
  • MikeT
    Options

One more thing, both apps will be free for Families/Teams users since all apps are covered in the monthly fee.

For local users, it's too early to say for the moment.

• teal_oak
    teal_oak
    Community Member
    Options

So, as it is too early to say that will be part of local user licence, I shall stay away. It is not a replacement for 1password 4 then. I am confused about the numbering.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @teal_oak,

Right now, these are all beta builds of the next generation of 1Password for Windows programs, there is no 1Password 6 for Windows available as a public stable version. These beta builds should not be replacing anything for anyone.

If you have a license for 1Password 4 for Windows, that's good for 1Password 4 for Windows only. We do sometime give free upgrades, like 1Password 5-6 was a free upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac customers and we might do the same for Windows but it all depends on what we decide later this year when we're getting ready to ship these new major versions.

This discussion has been closed.