License for multiple devices.

WndChill
WndChill
Community Member

I have purchased 1PW for Mac (from Agile Bits website) and 1PW for iOS for my iPad (from the Apple App Store). I would now like to install the Android version for a Samsung phone (running KitKat 4.4 os). Do i have to purchase an additional license for this (and if so how much would that be?). In other words what is the most cost effective way to do this? Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:android/, kb:migrate-data-to-new-device

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@WndChill: 1Password for Android is free to use in its basic form. You'll get 30 days to use the Pro Features, and then it's an in-app purchase if you want to unlock them permanently. I hope this helps. be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• WndChill
    WndChill
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply. I downloaded the 1PW app from the Google Play Store. In the requirements section it said Android 4.1 or higher. On my phone when I go to the Settings section in 1PW is says: "Unsupported Android version. 1Password Accounts are not supported on this version of Android. Android 5.0 or higher."

I am unable to upgrade to Android 5.0 due to the restrictions of my carrier (I have 4.4 KitKat as the os). Could you please explain what the practical effect is of not having this account supported. It works fine although there is no option in Chrome for 1PW like there is on my iPad (have to copy and paste ... which I can live with). Are there any security considerations I should be concerned about if this is an unsupported version? I'm an older guy who hasn't really kept up with technology all that well and I'm left wondering what to do, if anything.

PS. Think it would advisable to update the description of 1 Password in the Google Play Store to indicate that it only supports Android 5.0 or higher. I was surprised to see this after reading through the requirements before downloading to my phone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

PS. Think it would advisable to update the description of 1 Password in the Google Play Store to indicate that it only supports Android 5.0 or higher. I was surprised to see this after reading through the requirements before downloading to my phone.

@WndChill: I'm sorry for the confusion! The 1Password for Android app supports Android version 4.1 or later, as noted in the description. I know a lot of folks use that on their devices, and we wouldn't want to take that away from anyone. You or anyone else can use the standalone app and also sync with other devices using Dropbox if you wish.

However, 1Password Families (or Teams) Accounts require Android 5.0 or later because they depend on security features only available in recent Android releases.

Again, 1Password for Android is supported on KitKat. You just won't be able to take advantage of some newer features — which of course is the case with the OS as well.

You can also use 1Password's login filling features in many cases instead of copying and pasting. This is different from iOS, since Android does not have an extension framework like what 1Password for iOS uses. But it looks like Google may be adding some things in the future that could help with this too. :)

• WndChill
    WndChill
    Community Member

Appreciate the reply. I guess I can take some solace in knowing I'm not the only one who was confused by this. One of my fellow geezers has a similar set-up to mine and he also thought Settings ---> Accounts meant this account and all other accounts. It would make more sense if the message read:

"Unsupported Android version. 1Password [insert Family & Team] Accounts are not supported on this version of Android."

Anyway ... maybe my friend and I are just older tech dimwits (can't take that off the table :) ). But if you're not immersed in the 1PW nomenclature (i.e. "Accounts" only means Family & Team Accounts) it can get a little tricky. Thanks again for confirming 1PW is supported on my phone and for the additional information on 'login filling features' that I will try to take advantage of. I've had 1PW for a long time and think it's one of the best apps I've ever purchased.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@WndChill: Haha you're absolutely right! We're trying to find a less confusing way to express the same thing: "1Password Families or 1Password Teams", "1Password Account", "1Password subscription", etc. Unfortunately it seems that we haven't yet found a single option that makes sense to everyone, but we're going to keep trying. Thank you so much for your feedback on this, and the kind words! If you have any other comments, questions, or feature requests, we're listening. :)

This discussion has been closed.