Feedback / Questions about 1Password for Families

GotMilk4
GotMilk4
Community Member

Hello,

Just to provide a bit of backstory: I purchased 1Password quite some time ago, but ended up switching (back) to LastPass for three reasons:

1. I found that auto-fill would not work on some of my websites as I expected and as LastPass was able to do,
  2. I did not like having to use a third-party sync solution whereas LastPass provided it built-in, and
  3. Second-class Windows support was very frustrating for a user who uses Windows primarily.

Seeing that 1Password now provides their own sync implementation through Teams & Families and Windows seems to be (finally) getting some love, I'm now trialling a 1Password Families account to see if I can once again switch over from LastPass (I am not particularly thrilled about it being owned by LogMeIn and would really like to switch away). With that being said however, I've come across some questions I'd like to ask before I make any purchasing decisions.

1. Firstly - thank you for the improved Windows support. When I used 1Password originally, the OS X (work laptop) and iPhone apps had brilliant user interfaces but Windows was left with something from the Windows 95 era, and it was lacking some huge features (correct tagging support, for one). I am very weary about paying for 1Password again however considering that Windows is my primary system and the 1Password for Windows app is in (alpha? beta? It's hard to tell). Could you share some sort of estimate as to when AgileBits is planning to provide a GA release?
  2. When the Windows version of the 1Password app does go GA, can I safely expect that it will be treated as a first-class citizen alongside 1Password for Mac, iOS, etc. and receive updates in lockstep with the other OS versions? In other words, will new features come to Windows at the same time as it is released for other platforms?
  3. Why can I not change my 1Password for Families domain? I have seen in the forum that I could e-mail support to have it changed, but (to me) if this capability is possible through support it should be exposed via some sort of interface, whether it be in the app itself or on the web.
  4. Why can I not remove devices from the Admin Console on the web? I somehow ended up with duplicate work laptop entries, and I cannot find a way to remove them. What happens if I am provisioned a new laptop, or change phones? Will these devices auto-remove themselves over time? At any rate - especially if I am concerned about my account being compromised - it would be nice for me to be able to remove a device myself without needing intervention from support (ideally it should revoke access to the app/browser attached to that device entry as well).
  5. For the Windows app, the 1Password web interface guides me to download the UWP version from the Windows 10 Store, but the 1Password beta forum is pushing 1Password 6 for Windows which is installed via a different method and appears to be an entirely separate app as well. Which app should I be downloading and using? Will it be automatically upgraded to a proper GA version when it does release, or will I need to remove an existing beta version and start over?
  6. Is there a way to 'preview' an auto-fill before it occurs? In LastPass, when I open a website, it automatically (without any intervention on my part) populates the login fields of the website and waits for me to manually submit the form. This is very useful especially on websites where LastPass cannot auto-detect the correct login fields and I must fill in the fields myself and save it manually, so I can verify the correct fields are being submitted. Even if this was provided as an option which defaulted off I would still appreciate that functionality.

Thanks for taking the time to read (and hopefully!) reply to this post.

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.2
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Hi @GotMilk4,

Thanks for your interest in 1Password Families!

Firstly - thank you for the improved Windows support.

You're most welcome. We still have a ways to go here, admittedly. Our Windows team is working very hard to deliver the quality of product that everyone has come to expect from AgileBits. As a rule we don't even try to provide timeframes / timelines, but you can get an idea of where we are and how we're moving along by following the beta.

When the Windows version of the 1Password app does go GA, can I safely expect that it will be treated as a first-class citizen alongside 1Password for Mac, iOS, etc. and receive updates in lockstep with the other OS versions? In other words, will new features come to Windows at the same time as it is released for other platforms?

In general, yes. We haven't even quite perfected that on Mac & iOS yet, which share a portion of their codebase, but as much as possible we try to release features across all of our supported platforms together.

Mac is admittedly our flagship product, and tends to lead the charge as far as new features go. It was our first 1Password product, and it has the largest development team (right alongside iOS).

But one of our goals is to have more consistency across platforms, and we're trying very hard to put our money where are mouths are on that.

Why can I not change my 1Password for Families domain?

As far as I'm aware it simply isn't a function we've made accessible at this point. That may be something we'd consider for the future. For now it does require an email to support to accomplish.

Is this something you imagine doing more than once? If so would you mind elaborating? I'd like to get an idea of what the use case here is.

Why can I not remove devices from the Admin Console on the web?

Because right now it wouldn't do anything to remove it (other than stop it from showing up there). We're working to make it so that devices can be removed and that'll actually accomplish something (essentially requiring the account key be re-entered before a login can occur from that device / browser).

Is there a way to 'preview' an auto-fill before it occurs?

There is not. I like the idea, but we intentionally don't fill anything without your explicit instruction to do so, at present. Again this may be something we can re-evaluate further down the road, but the current state is such that this is not possible.

I hope that helps! If you have any further questions please don't hesitate. :)

Ben

• GotMilk4
    GotMilk4
    Community Member

Thanks Ben for the very quick response!

As a rule we don't even try to provide timeframes / timelines, but you can get an idea of where we are and how we're moving along by following the beta.

Understood.

But one of our goals is to have more consistency across platforms, and we're trying very hard to put our money where are mouths are on that.

Glad to hear that - I still am concerned however after this big 'push' to release an in-line Windows app that it will once again fall by the wayside and end up lacking functionality when compared to OS X.

Is this something you imagine doing more than once? If so would you mind elaborating? I'd like to get an idea of what the use case here is.

No, it was a question more out of curiosity versus a real use case.

Because right now it wouldn't do anything to remove it (other than stop it from showing up there).

Understood, but for people like me who are a bit obsessive about duplicate items, etc. there is not much we can do ourselves without needing support's assistance, which in my opinion is a more involved process than it really should be to clean up old items.

There is not. I like the idea, but we intentionally don't fill anything without your explicit instruction to do so, at present. Again this may be something we can re-evaluate further down the road, but the current state is such that this is not possible.

I understand the reasoning why, but like I had mentioned it is difficult to test form filling on difficult forms without submitting the form again and again, especially when this could occur on websites which have login attempt thresholds (e.g. bank websites). It would be nice if this option could be provided (but defaulted off to keep AgileBits' point of view the default) or some way is provided to test that a form fill is actually functioning correctly.

I'd also like to re-post my 5th question as it was not answered:

For the Windows app, the 1Password web interface guides me to download the UWP version from the Windows 10 Store, but the 1Password beta forum is pushing 1Password 6 for Windows which is installed via a different method and appears to be an entirely separate app as well. Which app should I be downloading and using? Will it be automatically upgraded to a proper GA version when it does release, or will I need to remove an existing beta version and start over?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@GotMilk4,

I want to reiterate Ben's thanks for trying 1Password Families. We really do appreciate you giving it a try. More than that, your feedback is invaluable. Since we do nothing to track anyone's usage of 1Password, we only know what they take the time to tell us. We have no other metrics because we value your privacy. So thank you for taking the time to post here!

Glad to hear that - I still am concerned however after this big 'push' to release an in-line Windows app that it will once again fall by the wayside and end up lacking functionality when compared to OS X.

Caution and skepticism are healthy habits. Honestly, no matter what any of us at AgileBits say, only time will tell. I would never recommend anyone purchase a subscription to 1Password Families (or any product or service from any company) on the promise of future developments. Our plan, though, is exactly as Ben said: as close to parity as possible given different platform-specific constraints. We still have a way to go, but we are getting closer every day.

Understood, but for people like me who are a bit obsessive about duplicate items, etc. there is not much we can do ourselves without needing support's assistance, which in my opinion is a more involved process than it really should be to clean up old items.

I'll be honest, I've never once looked at my list of authorized devices after the initial setup. You'll get an email any time a new device is authorized, so it wouldn't be possible for one to sneak into that list without you knowing about it. For me, that's the biggest reason I would look at the list. But you're right, it would be nice to be able to clean up that list, even if it's just for show. :)

Ideally, as Ben mentioned, removing a device would actually serve a purpose, and I believe we are working on that rather than implementing the feature that doesn't really do anything. If we implemented that first, you wouldn't be able to de-authorize a device that you had already removed from the list. So it's important that we do it right the first time.

I understand the reasoning why, but like I had mentioned it is difficult to test form filling on difficult forms without submitting the form again and again, especially when this could occur on websites which have login attempt thresholds (e.g. bank websites). It would be nice if this option could be provided (but defaulted off to keep AgileBits' point of view the default) or some way is provided to test that a form fill is actually functioning correctly.

In 1Password for Mac (and the older 1Password 4 app for Windows), you can disable what we call "autosubmit" if all you want to verify is that the form fields are filled in correctly. However, autosubmit is actually not even implemented yet in 1Password 6 for Windows (the version on Windows that supports 1Password Families). You should have a chance to review the fields that were filled and decide whether or not you want to submit the form.

For the Windows app, the 1Password web interface guides me to download the UWP version from the Windows 10 Store, but the 1Password beta forum is pushing 1Password 6 for Windows which is installed via a different method and appears to be an entirely separate app as well. Which app should I be downloading and using? Will it be automatically upgraded to a proper GA version when it does release, or will I need to remove an existing beta version and start over?

It is indeed a separate app. Sorry for this confusion. The 1Password 6 app that I just linked to from outside the Windows Store is still pretty new, and we haven't updated the documentation everywhere. The difference between the Windows Store version and the one from outside the Windows Store is similar to 1Password for Mac being available from both our website and the Mac App Store. Mostly just different distribution channels, but they stores from Microsoft and Apple do have tiny restrictions (that don't really affect anything we are doing with 1Password). One of the biggest differences on Windows is that the Windows Store app only runs on Windows 10. Our other app runs on versions of Windows as old as Windows 7.

And you should be able to update it in place. That is the plan. Worst case scenario, you install another app and sign in to your account. Everything is there just like before. But again, that's worst case, and even that is pretty easy, wouldn't you say? :)

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.