Extension not working in Firefox and Chrome [Not yet supported with Windows Store app version]

arielsrc
arielsrc
Community Member
edited May 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi all, first of all, great product, I believe I'll love it more when I get it to work propperly..

Installed new 1Password windows app from the microsoft market, it works great.

Problem comes when I want to use the extensions, in Firefox I get an error that says:

The address wasn't understood

The address wasn't understood. Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (onepassword4-extension) isn't associated with any program.

I'm using firefox in spanish so that text was in spanish, i'm sorry if those are not the exact words in english.

I've read many threads, deactivated windows firewall, refreshed firefox (which eliminates every theme, extension and leave FF as new a install), tried on Chrome with no results.

The main app (https://www.microsoft.com/es-ar/store/apps/1password-alpha/9nblgggz0ht9) was open when trying to make the extension work.

Thanks for your time, if you need any more details, just ask.

1Password Version: 1Password Beta 2016.5.2500u
Extension Version: Firefox ext: 4.5.6
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: None

Comments

• MikeT
    edited May 2016

Hi @arielsrc,

I apologize for the confusion. The current 1Password Beta build in the Windows 10 Store does not yet support extensions. We're working on that as we speak.

We do have it enabled in the latest 1Password 6 beta for Windows desktop if you want to give it a try. Here's how: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/64591/help-us-welcome-1password-6-to-our-windows-family#latest

• arielsrc
    arielsrc
    Community Member

Oh, well, no problem.. Will this app https://app-updates.agilebits.com/download/OPW4 work properly with the extension? I have not synced yet, should I sync before uninstalling the one i'm using and start using the one in that link?

And btw, I have Windows at home and Mac at work, are there any considerations to follow in order to make it work properly in both machines?

Thank you Mike for the quick response.

• MikeT
    edited May 2016

Hi @arielsrc,

Are you using a 1Password account with our 1Password Families / Team services? Right now, the 1Password 4 for Windows does not support these services. That's coming in the next major version, 1Password 6 for Windows that I mentioned about earlier.

If you are not using a 1Password account and instead have a local vault, then yes, you can use 1Password 4 for Windows instead.

You can use Dropbox to sync your local vault between your PC and Mac. Would your IT department let you use Dropbox on the Mac?

• arielsrc
    arielsrc
    Community Member

I've been reading that thread you posted, local-vaults in that beta are read only.

When I log-in into myuser.1password.com and go to Dashboard, I can see 1 Family member, and 1 Vault. Now, the vault is Personal Vault, so.. am I using family services? I guess i'm not, but i'm not really familiar with the services yet.. When I added new data into my vault from the windows app, it showed up updated in the web version. That leads me to think i'm not using local vault right? So i cannot use 1Password 4. Is there a workaround?

Yes, I can use Dropbox on the Mac.

Thanks and sorry for all this trouble.

• MikeT
    edited May 2016

Hi @arielsrc,

When I log-in into myuser.1password.com

Right away, that means you're using a 1Password Account or 1Password.com account.

A local vault means a local file that lives on your drive only.

Is there a workaround?

The 1Password 6 beta for Windows is the workaround for the moment. Since you're not using local vaults, you can make changes to your data in the beta app and use it alongside your browser extensions.

Yes, I can use Dropbox on the Mac.

In this case, you don't have to use Dropbox. You can sign into your 1Password account in the Mac app and it'll be ready with all of your data. Extensions are fully supported in the Mac app.

Thanks and sorry for all this trouble.

No need to apologize, we're happy to help and it is our fault since the apps are not yet ready to be used on Windows.

• arielsrc
    arielsrc
    Community Member

@MikeT,

I'll use that app as long as I don't get data loss/corruption from some unexpected bug.. that's what i'm worried about.

Is there a way to create a local vault from my actual account?

• Hi @arielsrc,

I'll use that app as long as I don't get data loss/corruption from some unexpected bug.. that's what i'm worried about.

I understand. Unfortunately, for now, there is no stable version of the 1Password program with Families support on Windows. Note that your Windows Store app version is also a beta version and we use the same codebase for both beta apps.

The 1Password.com web app in the browser is a stable version, though.

Is there a way to create a local vault from my actual account?

Yes, you can do this in your Mac app. Create a new local vault there and copy or move all of your items in the 1Password account to your local vault.

To create a new vault, go to the 1Password Menu > New Vault... If it is grayed out, you may need to enable the local vaults support if you've only signed into your 1Password Account. To do this, go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Advanced to check the box next to Local Vaults.

This discussion has been closed.