1Password for Windows (but with limited access to certain passwords)

I currently use 1Password on my MacBook Pro and iPhone. I have them set-up to sync via iCloud. However, I will be starting a new job that will require me to use a Windows-based PC. This PC will be owned by my employer. I would like to use 1Password on the Windows machine, but I want to limit the number of passwords I sync to that Windows instance of 1Password (i.e. I want to avoid syncing my personal passwords for my bank accounts, social media accounts, etc.). Is there a way to sync (via iCloud) the Windows instance of 1Password, but sync only a small subset of the total passwords that I currently sync between my MacBook Pro and iPhone? Will using a second vault allow for this? (I want to avoid a situation where I have any personal data/passwords (even if encrypted) sitting on the company owned PC. Thanks!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• MikeT
    edited May 2016

Hi @DATElliott,

Yes, your best option is to create a second vault and this is for two reasons:

1. At the moment, it is not possible to sync your 1Password data using your iCloud account on Windows. You would have to switch to Dropbox to sync to Windows. You can keep syncing your primary vault via iCloud and use Dropbox for the second vault. In addition, iCloud only supports syncing the primary vault on Mac/iOS as well, so this fits well.
    2. Creating a second vault would let you isolate your data and it will use its own vault password. You can choose to only sync this to your PC.

Be sure to save the second vault's password in your primary vault.

This guide should help to get started: https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/multiple-vaults.html

• DATElliott
    DATElliott
    Community Member

Thanks, Mike. As soon as I receive the PC, I'll try this method. Thanks for the feedback.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Mike, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.