When I updated an old computer to 1Password 6 it overwrote my password file with an old version

jstigler
jstigler
Community Member

I use dropbox to store my passwords. Yesterday, I decided to turn on an old computer that I haven't used for two years. I updated the 1Password to version 6, and then it overwrote all my current passwords with the ones from two years ago. Can you help me figure out how to undo this?

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:When I updated an old computer to 1Password 6 it overwrote my password file with an old version

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jstigler: Yikes! That can certainly be a problem. I'm sorry you're experiencing this. Unfortunately while Dropbox is great at determining which data we want sync'd most of the time, if it guesses wrong that can be pretty disastrous! In this case, it sounds like Dropbox thought the data on the "new" computer it got data from (your old one) was updated data. You should have a few different options here:

I prefer the last option there, since it should be more within your control (and ours), but I wanted to include the others in case it helps you or anyone else in the future with a similar problem.

Provided you have been using 1Password and keeping it up to date on the non-old computer, 1Password will have been automatically backing up your data all along. Restoring from one of these should get you a recent copy of your data, and then Dropbox should sync it back to your other devices as well. Let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• jstigler
    jstigler
    Community Member

Thanks! I wasn't aware that 1Password was making backups! One issue I ran into following the instructions was this: I restored the previous backup. But then, when I tried to re-start the sync with Dropbox it told me it was going to "merge the files" with the existing ones in Dropbox. I decided to delete the incorrect file from Dropbox, then I re-connect the sync. It seems to have worked perfectly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jstigler: Thanks for following up! I'm glad to hear you were able to get it restored. I'm sorry for not anticipating the merge, but it sounds like you knew exactly what to do. My main concern was that you had a backup to restore from in the first place. I love it when a plan comes together! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.