Auto login not working any more on Medicare site

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited May 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

The auto submit was working on https://www.mymedicare.gov site until this latest update. The auto submit still works on other sites. Got any ideas?
Additional testing, reboot into single user mode, ran maintenance scripts. Rebooted into Safe Mode. After everything settled done, found the same issue logging into the Apple discussion boards. However, auto submit works fine logging into iCloud account and into Manage my Apple ID.

1Password Version: 6.3 MAS
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5 (15F34)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @Steve_H. Thanks for you post. Sorry about the trouble! I just tested this site out and it seems autosubmit works fine for me. When I look at the code on the page, it seems to be about the simplest kind of sign in form you could have, so autosubmit should work.

I tested with a new Login saved manually in the browser extension and also with a Login saved in the main 1Password application so it wouldn't have the same level of detail as the item saved from the browser extension. Both of these filled and submitted just like I would expect they would. As a test, could you copy the text below and then choose File > New Item from Clipboard in 1Password:

{"sectionName":"M","details":{"fields":[{"value":"ASuperUser","name":"username","type":"T","designation":"username"},{"value":"ASuperPassword!","name":"password","type":"P","designation":"password"}],"sections":[{"title":"Related Items","name":"linked items"}]},"uuid":"zcoublipr5eynoofooig7rzn4a","updatedAt":1464354492,"createdAt":1464354340,"categoryUUID":"001","overview":{"title":"MyMedicare.gov","url":"https:\/\/www.mymedicare.gov\/","ainfo":"ASuperUser","ps":69},"URLs":[{"overview":{"label":"","url":"https:\/\/www.mymedicare.gov\/"}}]}

Then, edit the new entry to match your username and password and see if that will submit for you.

If you still have trouble, please visit the 1Password > Preferences > Browser screen and turn off "Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords" and then quit 1Password. Then, return to the same screen and re-enable it. You might be prompted to allow 1Password to create a file for you, which is expected and required for autosubmit.

I hope that helps. Please let us know what you find.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

Hi Jamie, I tried both methods and still get the same results. And the login to my Microsoft Live account has the same problem. Is it clean install time on my mac? :-) I just noticed, the little gear in the menu bar is not working on those sites either. But, on another site, my.gci.net everything works perfect. Go figure.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Steve_H: Like Jamie, I was able to have 1Password fill and submit the login form there...although that annoying popup seems to get in the way of having it go completely smooth:

You're accessing data on a U.S. Government Information System, which is owned and operated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). The information accessed through this system is provided for use only by authorized MyMedicare.gov users. Unauthorized or improper use of this system or its data may result in disciplinary action, as well as civil and criminal penalties. If you're not an authorized user, you must exit this system immediately!

Etc. However, while it's clear that something isn't working correctly on your system, it shouldn't be necessary to adopt a Scorched Earth policy just yet. ;)

Regarding Live, I also was able to have 1Password fill and submit there, but I know there are many different login portals. It's possible (likely?) that the one you're having trouble with is different than mine, so please let me know: https://login.live.com/login.srf

I wonder if we may simply be looking at the wrong thing here. Can you tell me what browser version you're using for all of this? Perhaps there's an update or issue there that we're overlooking. Thanks in advance! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Safari - Version 9.1.1 (11601.6.17). My Live login is the same URL as yours. I need to check this our on my other machine that runs Yosemite. I will get back to you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Steve_H: Thanks for confirming. Same version I'm using here. That's really strange! Please let me know what you find.

But at this point, if you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

OK, I tried this on the iMac running Yosemite and got almost the same results. The MS Live site worked fine, the Medicare site worked fine, the Apple communities did not work. So I changed the preference in the actual login to Always Submit from Submit when enabled...and the login started to work. A little more testing time please. Thanks.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

OK, I am back. Changed the settings on my Mac Book Pro and none of the original offenders worked, even with Always Submit checked off. The Mac Book Pro just got a clean install last night to assist with testing. OK sent in the diagnostic report. Good luck.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Report has been sent

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Steve_H: I'm not seeing it in our inbox, so I wonder if you sent it from another address. If you'll just post the Support ID you received that should allow us to locate it. Thanks in advance! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

Brenty, I did send it from a different email address than the one you currently have on on file. I also did not save the Bit Bot email reply with the support ID. Do you want me to use some of the offending sites and then resubmit? (i.e. beta testing) Steve.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Steve_H,

I've located your diagnostics report. We'll be in touch over email soon and we'll continue the conversation over there! :chuffed:

ref: CXM-56145-735

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thanks Pilar. I am going to try using the beta of the extension as referenced in another thread about this same issue. I hope that will not confuse the humans too badly.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

It should be fine! :) Thanks for your willingness to test out the new approach!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Well, another site that used to work is now behaving just like the Alaska Airlines site. The site is;

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Steve_H: I tested this myself, and while 1Password isn't able to open the login popup there, I was able to have it fill and submit the login once the popup was open. It just isn't possible otherwise. Does that match what you're seeing?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Nope. On my system 1Password will not fill in the popup. The popup losses focus when the information window (from 1Password) opens and completely covers the login popup.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I just tried a little experiment. Using the latest version of Safari and letting Safari save the password for Alaska Airlines, the built in password manager from Apple fills in the Alaska Airlines login perfect. Then all you do is click on the button and the login works perfect.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

@Steve_H: Indeed, since that feature is built into the browser, it is able to do things that an ordinary extension is not able to. However, it's also much more difficult to manage data stored that way, especially if you you need to use other browsers or platforms. And of course that would also grant anyone with access to your computer the ability to login to your saved accounts. It's convenient in some ways, but less secure in others.

Nope. On my system 1Password will not fill in the popup. The popup losses focus when the information window (from 1Password) opens and completely covers the login popup.

Have you tried saving a new login for the site? In many cases manually saving a new login for the site will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form. Just try these steps to save the login manually:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Click the Login popup
    3. Enter your login credentials
    4. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    5. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    6. Click Save New Login
    7. Give it a name and Save

I was able to create a new login that way in order to test this. Please let me know what you find!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I just tried the manual method. When I click on the gear and then click on the save new login nothing happens. If I try to use the shortcut of command N, Safari opens a new window.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Steve_H,

I'm sorry if 1Password can get a bit confusing. The shortcut only works if you're in 1Password, if you are on a normal webpage then Safari will be the program interpreting command, not 1Password. That's why you're getting a new window. Are you clicking on "Save new login" once you've written your username and password? If the fields are blanc 1Password won't really have anything to save, so it's important to do it in the right order :chuffed:

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@Steve_H I worked most of yesterday on the Alaska Airlines site. I found the problem, and it's related to a change I made recently to better understand the way some sites position elements off screen. For instance, there was a site I worked on recently where there were fake username and password fields that were positioned way off screen that were intended to confuse automated programs. I don't know if these were targeted at password managers or maybe spam bots or something else, but they were definitely confusing 1Password.

In the process of fixing those, it seems I may have been a bit too aggressive with the change and the Alaska Airlines site got caught up in that. Given that this is a regression from the current stable version, I'm focused on fixing it as soon as possible and trying to understand the false positive from the code of the Alaska Airlines site to hopefully make this much better for everyone across the vast variety of sites. Like I said before, it's great that you brought this to our attention so that we can get it fixed and have it broken for as little time as possible.

Cheers!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

jxpx777, that is good news. Now if you are up for a similar challenge, The USAA site (the links are in very similar post going on) is now behaving just like the Alaska Airline site. On my system 1Password will not fill in the popup. The popup losses focus when the information window (from 1Password) opens and completely covers the login popup.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Pilar, I tried this from mini, should I have tried from the main 1Password window?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

I'll add the USAA site to my list of testing sites. Thanks!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@Steve_H I just wanted to update you that I've been tweaking things today and have a change in review that I think will help quite a bit. We still have some review and testing to do, but we hope to have it in a new beta in the next couple of days. If you're using Chrome or Firefox, you should get the new beta automatically, but in Safari, you'll need to check for updates manually in Safari > Preferences > Extensions. The Updates indicator is at the bottom of the list of extensions.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention and helping make 1Password better.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thanks for the update. We will get it working (at least for me). look forward to the latest releases.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Cheers, Steve!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@Steve_H I just wanted to follow up and let you know we released the new beta today. We would love for you to give it a try and let us know how it works for you. We specifically tested USAA and Alaska Airlines websites, but we'd love some confirmation from outside the team. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I will test all the problem sites I had this weekend and get back to you before Monday.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hopefully we're looking at an improved success rate :+1: (the closest I could find to fingers crossed)

This discussion has been closed.