Is there a log of recent changes to existing passwords and records in 1Password? If not, please add!

brucebowman
brucebowman
Community Member

I would love to see a list of recently changed records in the 1Password app for Mac. This would be useful to me in a number of ways, and I'd be happy to elaborate if needed. Thanks for a great program.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:log

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brucebowman: Yes! When you update a password to a Login stored in 1Password, you can view these under the "Previously Used Passwords" section in the item details. I hope this helps, and I'd definitely be interested to hear more about your specific use case! :)

• brucebowman
    brucebowman
    Community Member

@brenty That's a cool feature for a single Login item, and I've used it before on occasion, but not exactly what I had in mind.

I was thinking of something more global in 1P, where I could see a History list of Logins/other Items in any Category, where I have recently changed the password, or even just updated the Item record in any way.

Something like:
    Today: Changed Facebook password
    Yesterday: Changed Twitter password
    Yesterday: Updated Notes in Slack
    May 24, 2016: Added new Visa credit card.

And each one would be clickable, so I could easily open their Item record. The list could be in reverse chronological order, and maybe filterable by Category type, or at least searchable.

Sometimes I make changes to more than one Item during a 1P session, updating a Note, or changing passwords. After doing a few, I usually start to forget whether I did it or not or which Item I changed, so it is a manual process for me to one by one look at each of them, and then click the button, then look at the dates on the Previous Passwords... It gets tedious.

Thanks for listening.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brucebowman: Likewise, thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me. That helps a lot!

While the architecture for local 1Password vaults doesn't lend itself to such a feature, 1Password Teams does have a log of all "events" and it will be possible to access this in the web interface. This is much more feasible (and useful) with an account-wide database on a server, but perhaps we could find a way to do something similar within the app itself if there's enough demand.

I hadn't initially considered that what you're looking for is an overall log of changes to items in 1Password. Thanks for your feedback on this. It's certainly an interesting idea. :)

• brucebowman
    brucebowman
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

@brenty Thanks for being open to it. My wife and I use the Shared Vault feature, but I don't think that is the same thing as Teams? Either way, we'd benefit from the Log of all events, but I would much prefer to see it in the app rather than have to look on a web site. Cheers!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @brucebowman,

On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome! And you're correct - if you're sharing a local (i.e. non-Teams) vault via Dropbox or other cloud sync service, it wouldn't have the logging feature Brenty mentioned.

In case it helps, you can sort your items in the 1Password app by the date they were modified (just click the drop-down list under the Search field in the main app and choose 'Date Modified'). This wouldn't give you the level of detail you described, but I wanted to mention it in case you weren't aware.

If you need anything else, we're here for you! :)

• brucebowman
    brucebowman
    Community Member

@Drew_AG Thanks - that's a helpful feature. It might be enough for me - I will use it the next time I need it, and will try to remember to post back here.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Glad that was a helpful suggestion! :)

This discussion has been closed.