change primary vault

Options
barbqdiguana
barbqdiguana
Community Member

Hi,

Sorry for emailing this, but there is so much conflicting info in the forum I want to get this right. My wife and I share what was originally configured as the only vault and is now the primary vault. Since then we created another vault for her and I want to make it her primary. She keeps having to type the password for the shared primary vault which I want to keep my personal primary vault. What's the best method for making another vault her primary vault? We have the latest version for Windows and Mac. I don't care which I perform the steps from.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:change primary vault

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @barbqdiguana,

Thanks for reaching out for help with this! We can definitely help you to switch which vault is Primary, but first we'll need to know a few more details to make sure we understand your setup and what you're trying to do:

• Are you and your wife using 1Password on two different Macs, or do you both share the same Mac?
    • If you share one Mac, do you each have your own OS X user account on it?
    • If you use separate Macs, it sounds like she has 2 vaults in 1Password on her Mac and wants to change which one is Primary - is that correct?
    • What version of OS X are you running on your Mac(s)?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac(s)?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • Are you using Dropbox to sync/share your Primary vault with her Mac? (If not, what sync option is being used for the Primary vault?)
    • Is she using one of the sync options for her own (secondary) vault? If so, which sync option?

Thanks in advance! :)

• barbqdiguana
    barbqdiguana
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry about that. I forgot to mention we're sharing all vaults using Dropbox.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @barbqdiguana! When you get a chance, please let us know the answers to my other questions, and we'll be able to proceed from there. :)

• barbqdiguana
    barbqdiguana
    Community Member
    Options

Are you and your wife using 1Password on two different Macs, or do you both share the same Mac? 2 different Macbook Pro's (2011 and 2015)
    If you share one Mac, do you each have your own OS X user account on it? N/A
    If you use separate Macs, it sounds like she has 2 vaults in 1Password on her Mac and wants to change which one is Primary - is that correct? Yes it is
    What version of OS X are you running on your Mac(s)? Mine, "El Capitan, 10.11.5". Her's "Yosemite, 10.10.5"
    What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac(s)? Both have the same: 1Password 6, Version 6.2.1 (621002), AgileBits Store"
    Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password? See above
    Are you using Dropbox to sync/share your Primary vault with her Mac? (If not, what sync option is being used for the Primary vault?) Yes
    Is she using one of the sync options for her own (secondary) vault? If so, which sync option? All vaults are shared from/sync'd to the same Dropbox account. Each vault is in it's own separate folder.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you @barbqdiguana!

Before continuing with the steps below, please install the update for 1Password 6.3 on your wife's Mac, as that has a new "Start Over" option which she'll need to use (the update has other improvements too, so it's a good idea to install that on your own Mac as well when you get a chance). To install the update, open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Check for Updates in the menu bar. Follow the on-screen steps to install the 6.3 update.

Once 6.3 is installed, you/she can follow these steps to switch which vault is Primary:

• On your wife's Mac, open the 1Password app and make sure it's locked.
    • Go to Help > Troubleshooting > Start Over in the menu bar, then follow the on-screen steps to start over.
    • After that, launch 1Password (it should be like running it for the first time).
    • Choose the sync file from Dropbox that you want to be the Primary vault on that Mac (if necessary, select Find it elsewhere > Dropbox > Choose File).

Once setup is complete and the Primary vault is created/synced, follow these steps to add the secondary vault:

• From the Finder, open the local Dropbox folder.
    • Find the sync file for the other vault and double-click on it.
    • 1Password should prompt you to create a new vault from that sync file.

You should be all set at this point, but please let us know if you run into any problems or have questions about that. Cheers! :)

• aklar
    aklar
    Community Member
    Options

Great! Thank you for this easy to follow hint!

I had to switch my primary language in OS X though, since I can't read the secret in the German localisation of the "Start over" function (see attached screen shot). Other than that, everything worked perfect for me. Again: thank you!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! I've passed this on to the dev team so they can see what's causing this.

ref: OPM-4164.

• barbqdiguana
    barbqdiguana
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. That worked great.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, I'm glad to hear it helped! Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.