Only sharing options are AirDrop or Print (email, message options restored: iOS v6.4.2, Mac v6.3.1)

Options

Comments

• kleinias
    kleinias
    Community Member
    Options

Hah, absolutely my mistake then! Perhaps this is something the 1Password team might consider in the future. Again, thank you for the correction.

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Yes you are technically correct but still skirting around the issue. You know perfectly well what was being asked for.

• kleinias
    kleinias
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Wait a minute?! I trusted what you wrote so I just figured I some how was incorrect. However, even AgileBits own website shows that this used to be a feature:

"share 1Password items from Vault Mode via Messages and email in either an obfuscated format or plain text."

https://blog.agilebits.com/2013/05/13/1password-4-2-for-ios-gets-huge-update-to-browser-sharing-features/

I was really confused because I really thought I had used this option a number of times. Did you just misunderstand or is there something I am missing. I really thought that I was able to send logins/passwords straight from 1Password before and that this feature had been removed. Are you saying that this sharing option is still present and I am just not seeing it?

• AChakery
    AChakery
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@kleinias Well the answer is no they have removed these sharing options and at the moment they are only offering Family/Teams sharing options and DropBox.

This is an unfortunate thing !

You know encrypting emails is so easy and I have no idea why they are not creating an article for this method !!!

I used 1Password Teams Trial and I really liked it but the fact is that it is kind of expensive for a person like me who is using 1Password for his personal tasks. DropBox is not really an option for me since IMO it is not secure in the first place and I don't care if the 1PassWord vault is encrypted or not, I just don't want my password to be stored on a third party cloud provider (Maybe I am a little paranoid).

Anyways hope that we get these options back.

I can create the learning article regarding point-to-point encrypted emails if you like.

• Tripp
    Tripp
    Community Member
    Options

First, I will say that I have not read each and every post in this thread. It is just to long and I am not really that interested in excessive venting.

Second, I will say that I really do not understand what all the fuss and vitriol is about when there is still a perfectly functional way to share any 1Password entry using any method that pleases you, secure or insecure. Just export the item and move it any way that makes you happy.

Lastly. If someone else has pointed this out I apologize as I just cannot get myself to read any more of this silliness.

And Please, stop all the shouting.

• AChakery
    AChakery
    Community Member
    Options

One of the main points of using such software like 1Password is making the tasks easier . And this fact contradicts with what you mentioned !

Anyways thanks for the tip.

• Tripp
    Tripp
    Community Member
    Options

I am not sure that three mouse clicks to get into Mail vs one count as serious inconvenience.

Sorry, but I seem to have been caught up in the grumpiness of the thread.

• AChakery
    AChakery
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

No this is ok...

Well you know it really depends on the usage .. for a person like me with more than 300 websites to manage sometime even 1 click counts.

But of course you are right ... 3 clicks will no kill anyone ;)

• Tripp
    Tripp
    Community Member
    Options

Trolling is not contributing.

Goodbye

• Tripp
    Tripp
    Community Member
    Options

Before I go I would like to leave a comment.

I believe that the AgileBits staff has contributed to this conflagration in the tone of their remarks and consistently avoiding mentioning that there is still a very useful and easy way to share items. Instead they have consistently fought to make their point of view heard and understood causing some of their customers to feel bludgeoned as the result.

Goodbye,
    Tripp

• dougl
    dougl
    Community Member
    Options

Let me chime in again, because I've now felt the full pain of having this option removed - and it's not about sharing the password - I can do that with copy/paste in iMessage, it's about sharing the 1Password entry in its entirety. Export and then sending the PIF file via iMessage works, but then I have to walk my remote user through the import process. It's painful, but it works.

There's been a lot of animosity in this thread, that is driven by a perception (right or wrong) that this feature was removed to push your additional paid subscription service.

My advice is to stop saying that using 1Password for Families or Dropbox is the best option. It's not. Both involve using a third-party cloud service, which is often prohibited by corporate policies in the absence of a specific license agreement between that provider and the company. More importantly, getting a desktop application built securely (which I grant you guys are good at) is nowhere near the same as building a secure cloud service - far more complex, and something we (the security industry) are just beginning to get patterns down for.

As a side note, Dropbox is also about to get completely ripped off every system that I touch because of their move to a kernel extension model. My suggestion is that if you want to work with corporations, add box.net support since they're far better at enterprise support and security than Dropbox is. For personal use, make sure you play well with boxcryptor. But that's a tangent.

Look, the net is the same battle we always fight - security versus usability. I absolutely agree that the obfuscation implied encryption/secure transmissions when it wasn't, and needed to be changed. Plain text XML would be one option to solve it - no question that it's not secure.

But maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand why you can't provide a simple symmetric encryption option? When right-click/share/iMessage is chosen, generate a string on the screen - just like you do when setting up wifi syncing - that the user can read over the phone to decrypt the password entry?

If you object to that idea, then I should point out that to be consistent, you'd need to remove wifi syncing too, because I'm sure that a lot of people are simply sending that text string via text message :-). A partial solution would be to make both those dialogs non-copyable.

You nerf'd a widely used function without much warning. That's happened in the past, and you've been pretty good about responding. For this one, I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys end up doing.

P.S. If you do remove wifi-syncing, we'll pull out the pitchforks, torches, and rotten vegetables, load the crossbows with old AOL CDs and storm the castle again like we did a few years back :-)

• AChakery
    AChakery
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@dougl I 100% agree with you on using 3rd party providers and that is the reason which I suggested adding support for protocols like SFTP which is also supported by many cloud providers as an external storage space.

• Tripp
    Tripp
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@dougl
    "Export and then sending the PIF file via iMessage works, but then I have to walk my remote user through the import process. It's painful, but it works."

I'm not here to defend AgileBits on their handling of this issue, but it still seems extreme to consider double clicking an attachment and then entering the 1Password Master password (only if 1P is not open) and then clicking the Import button to difficult to explain. I'll bet I could explain it to my partners 92 year old technophobic mother. If 1P is already open it is a double click and then a click and you are done. I never used iMessage for this before so maybe I am out of line here. Did it just automatically import the entry when the iMessage was opened by the receiver?

Deleting the message or email at this point still is an issue that has always been there. So this is still the same. I see this as the greater issue than the issues in transit and wonder if in truth this might be the spark that got AgileBits off their can to do something/anything about this issue to get people to notice that it is a very real security problem. My guess is that there are hundreds if not thousands of copies 1Password iMessages, emails, and SMS's sitting on peoples computers undeleted. While none of those people have a clue about the bombs they have sitting on their computers.

And this thread is almost three months old and people are still here beating this dead horse till it turns into dog food.

• Tripp
    Tripp
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Great retort!
    Glad you noticed.
    Very helpful as well.

My Bad.

Please accept my apologies.

• AChakery
    AChakery
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

And this thread is almost three months old and people are still here beating this dead horse till it turns into dog food.

Sorry but totally nonsense !!!!!

We are trying to give our feedback here no matter this issue/thread is 3 months or three years old. The issue that we are talking about has become a major problem for those who are shouting here and for sure everyone of them has their own reasons so please respect others opinions. Maybe you are a personal user and you do not have to share passwords everyday with your customers or others while your country's rules do not let you use the expensive 1Password for teams or DropBox.

Therefore if you do not have any problem with this issue you can just ignore this thread.

Thank you

• Tripp
    Tripp
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

ACHackery
    "Sorry but totally nonsense !!!!!"
    "Therefore if you do not have any problem with this issue you can just ignore this thread."

My apologies for offending you.

I did not say I had I had no problem with this issue. I do.
    What I said was it seems silly that so many people spend so much time spewing vitriol here when there is a simple work around. If I may call it that. Hostility towards people joining the discussion changes none of the facts relating to a serious security issue.

SecretSpuirrel did point out graciously that I too had come to join the unruly fracas with that closing comment of mine and I am grateful.

It does seem to me though that your final "Thank You" does not negate your opening slur. My apologies again, for offending you, but it does feel that most of the responses I have collected here have been more abusive than helpful.

Tripp

• AChakery
    AChakery
    Community Member
    Options

Dear @Tripp

There is no need for you to apologise and no I am not offended at all. This is discussion forum which means everyone is able to talk about his or her thoughts (based on the rules of course).

Believe me I really love this software and I am just trying to make it better based on my view. As we all know there are many similar software to 1Password and they are offering many paid features of 1Password for free. If we wanted to just solve our problems we could have just switched to alternate software.... but the point is that we want to make 1Password better that is why we are discussing this issue here.

As I mentioned before (sorry for repeating ) We all know that 1Password should make money and all of the 1Password team members are trying hard to offer a more secure and a more reliable product. But sometimes when you are going to make some changes you should consider your customers as well... For instance I am living in EU and so many companies here have problems with datacenters located outside the European Union , there are even some legal cases against Facebook and Apple that they should not bring the personal information of people outside this area. I am not here to say if this is a good idea or not the fact is that this is only one of the reasons that we can not use services like DropBox or 1Password Teams.

Apple is setting up European DC to solve this legal case with EU.

So please provide us with alternate options like supporting SFTP , Email and iMessage Sahring.

Thank you

• dougl
    dougl
    Community Member
    Options

When working with non-technical people, even easy things like 'file/import' take more time than 'click on the link I just sent' (in particular, figuring out where they saved the darn file).

And, of course, it doesn't work on mobile devices at all.

As for lingering messages out there, yep, that's a potential issue. If a device is stolen and the passcode bypassed without triggering a device wipe, or an itunes backup hacked off a desktop machine, someone could conceivably look for and extract the password. That's why a symmetric encryption option is a good alternative.

Just because it's not a useful and important feature to some, doesn't mean it's not to others. AgileBits does listen to customers - wifi sync came back because they do. I wish they'd stop pointing to an additional paid service that does not provide similar functionality (I think that's part of the reason for the heat in the thread). But if we don't ask, they won't prioritize accurately.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey folks,

We restored the options to share via Messages in the just-released 1Password for Mac 6.3.1.BETA-2. I suspect it will make it into the next stable release as well if you don't wish to use the beta builds. However, we don't have a time frame for when 6.3.1 will be released to the stable channel.

As mentioned in previous posts as one possible solution, you'll see this warning now:

We really appreciate the patience of everyone who was waiting for this. Thank you for taking the time to post here and let us know you were missing the feature when it was removed. As several of you have mentioned, we do listen to feedback, and I hope our actions here speak louder than any words I could write. :)

Stay safe out there! :+1:

• kleinias
    kleinias
    Community Member
    Options

We restored the options to share via Messages in the just-released 1Password for Mac 6.3.1.BETA-2. I suspect it will make it into the next stable release as well if you don't wish to use the beta builds. However, we don't have a time frame for when 6.3.1 will be released to the stable channel.

This is fantastic and exactly what I wanted. Thank you for not only listening to our feedback but also taking the time to post about this update. I'm looking fwd to this eventually (when the time is right) reaching the stable build for 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS.

• AChakery
    AChakery
    Community Member
    Options

Thats why I switched from LastPass to 1Password ... Great Support and High Quality Product.

Really appreciate it guys.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @AChakery and @kleinias! That means a lot to all of us. I've shared your kind words with the whole team here.

Have an awesome rest of your week!

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

@khad you mentioned the MAC beta. Can you please confirm this will also apply to IOS. Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tonydow: We don't currently have a beta of 1Password for iOS, but if you're a beta tester you'll receive a notice from TestFlight when we do. Cheers! :) :+1:

• AChakery
    AChakery
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thank you for your reply..

I believe Tony means if you are going to add iMessage sharing option to iOS app or not ?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We haven't released anything for iOS yet, but it sure would be strange if this didn't make it back to iOS as well. :)

• AChakery
    AChakery
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

;) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.