Downloading on an Airbook 1Password 6 from Time Machine which has a copy of the Airbook I lost?

Options
Coen
Coen
Community Member

I lost my Airbook with El Capitan OS and 1Password 6. A copy of it is in my Time Machine. I am now using another Airbook with access to Time Machine. I can see Library on my former Airbook's copy on Time Machine. From your Q&A I learnt that for downloading back up data, I should look for the subfile Containers. I can't see this folder Containers under Library though. Can you help me?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:time machine

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Almost certainly the issue is that there are several Library folders, one of which is normally invisible.

/Library is the Library folder at the top level of the hard drive. ~/Library is the Library folder in your Home folder and is normally invisible. That's the one that holds the Containers folder. If you are in the Finder ((viewing the desktop) and press Option while opening the Go menu, you will find this Library folder is now accessible. So open that, and then see how Time Machine behaves when you are in this folder. It should be ok, but I am not sure if the fact that your Time Machine originally came from another Mac might cause problems.

By the way, I think Containers is only needed if yoru 1PW comes from the Mac App Store, and you should be looking in Application Support (also in `?Library) if you have the AgileBits version.

• Coen
    Coen
    Community Member
    Options

"If you are in the Finder (viewing the desk top)": does that mean I click desk top in the Finder?
    "press Option while opening the Go menu": sorry I have a Dutch version of the Airbook. Where can I find the Option button?
    The Go menu is at the top right had side of the Finder menu, with the magnifying glass symbol, am I right?
    My 1 Password was directly from AgileBits, so I should be looking in Application Support, but then in the one I should unveil, right (Application support under Library that I can see so far has no 1Password backups)?

• Coen
    Coen
    Community Member
    Options

Options just doesn't contain "Show Library" when I am in Time Machine in the Home directory of my vanished Airbook. Time Machine having come from another Mac may indeed cause problems here.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

No, I just used "desktop" to mean the Finder, some people don't actually understand the word Finder.

I can't say exactly where the Option key is on your keyboard. It is sometimes named Alt, if that helps, and on my keyboard is between the Ctrl and Cmd keys.

See my screenshot, which shows the Finder and its Go menu when the Option key is not pressed (because of the way I have my Mac set up there's some other stuff on screen too). The ~/Library folder only appears in the menu if you press Option. No the magnifying glass on the right is for Spotlight search, and Spotlight does not index the library.

I think the procedure has to be to enter ~/Library by the method I have given, and then enter Time Machine while there. I hope it will work, but it won't work if you enter Time Machine immediately from your Home directory.

The 1PW folder is named 1Password4 even if you have been using 1PW6.

Hope that helps.

• Coen
    Coen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I can now open Library in Finder after opening Go with Options (indeed by using the Alt key). I then enter Time Machine through the TM icon. I go to the "vanished" Airbook. There are a number of libraries. The first one on the top has Application support, but this latter one has no reference to 1PW. Another one, under Users has no Application support altogether.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Once you are in your user Library, entering Time Machine through the icon should leave you in that library with the view of it at different dates. This would certainly happen if the TM copy was from your current Mac, whether that works on the TM copy from the old Mac may well depend on your setup.

There would not be a Library directly under Users, but there would under Users/name (where 'name' is the user name you have chosen). This should certainly have an Application Support folder, as many program put some data there.

• Coen
    Coen
    Community Member
    Options

I have found something new. I opened the Library after opening Go with Options. I opened Application support. There is a folder 1Password4 there. I opened the sub folder Backups. That has two .1p4_zip files. I moved one to Downloads. I opened the 1Password6 App that I had picked up from the TM yesterday. That allows me to retrieve 1PW6 data elsewhere stored on my laptop. In Downloads in this case. But unfortunately 1PW6 doesn't want to open the .1p4_zip file.

• Coen
    Coen
    Community Member
    Options

These zip files are empty, I think.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Coen,

Are you getting an error message when you attempt to open this file? If so, what does it say? Just to clarify, the correct steps to restore to a .1p4_zip file are:

1. Open 1Password for the first time and select “Already have data somewhere else?” on the welcome screen.
    2. Select ‘Restore from Backup’.
    3. Click ‘Choose Backup’ and navigate to the location your .1p4_zip file is stored.
    4. Clicking on the backup should prompt you for your Master Password.
  • Coen
    Coen
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Megan,

Thanks! I am not behind the computer that I used yesterday to backup 1PW, but I believe I followed your steps 1 up to and including 4. However, 4 didn't prompt 1PW to ask me for my master password. I think 1PW just "looked" at the file and did nothing. The .1p4_zip file was tine in terms of number of kB, which made me think it is empty.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Coen,

If you weren't prompted for your master password when you chose the .1p4_zip file during the setup of 1Password, what happened instead? And what happens now when you open the 1Password app - does it ask for a master password, or does it take you through the setup procedure again as if it's the first time you're opening it?

How big is that .1p4_zip file which you restored from Time Machine? If it is measured in kb, you might be right that it contains very little or no data.

It also seems strange that you only found 2 of those backup files in Time Machine. Unless you had only been using 1Password for a very short period of time on your old/lost MacBook Air, I would expect there to have been more backups. Were both of those backup files the same size?

I'm wondering about something you mentioned:

That has two .1p4_zip files. I moved one to Downloads. I opened the 1Password6 App that I had picked up from the TM yesterday. That allows me to retrieve 1PW6 data elsewhere stored on my laptop. In Downloads in this case.

When you say the 1Password 6 app "allows me to retrieve 1PW6 data elsewhere stored on my laptop", do you just mean that it gave you the option to restore from the .1p4_zip file, like in the steps Megan gave you? Had you ever previously used 1Password on this new/replacement MacBook Air, or is it the first time? If you had ever used it on this MacBook Air in the past, is it possible the 2 backup files you found were actually from a Time Machine backup of this same MacBook Air, instead of the one that was lost?

I'm also curious if you had ever synced your 1Password data with another device? If so, does that other device still have your 1Password data?

• Coen
    Coen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I will get back to you later this week, when I have access to the replacement Mac again.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Coen, on behalf of Drew_AG and Megan you're welcome! we hope to hear back from you with an update! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.